I finished my first triathlon (sprint distance) today (Read 1449 times)

jingchunyu

2009 Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon

http://www.virtualroster.com/index.cfm?action=dspClientHome&clientid=45&showBanner=1

http://www.phillytri.com/results.html

My overall rank is 1155 of 1436 but my running rank is 360 of 1436 (1274 of 1436 for swimming and

1259 of 1436 for biking)

I used beach swimming trunk and a $ 200 mountain bike and I swimmied using weird mixed strokes. 

When around beginning of this year I asked in this forum if it  is OK to race a triathlon with most simple equipment, the most impressive answer I got is "You will be amazed at what you find at your first triathlon". 

Now I must have amazed others.   I forgot who told me that here but thank you very much. That is the most

encouraging advice I can get.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Great job!

I myself use a cheap bike from some forgotten yard sale myself, but it has the proper number of wheels. Plus it has a kickstand, which all those other people with expensive bikes lack, so ha!

So, was it painful? Fun? How did you feel biking after the swim, and running after both of the others?

You thinking about doing it again?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

awesome job ....

My original goal was to complete a TRI.   First step as to complete the 5k and then got sidetracked on becoming a marathoner, not too mention doubt I could swim 500 meters nor do I own a bike (minor details).

Some day will complete a tri once I can swin the distance without lifeguards coming to get me

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Beware, batbear...

What is the sprint distance for a tri?  I love to swim and run, but I don't own a bike.  I'm looking for a good commuter bike and then will look at something with speed later when I can manage to get up the NC hills.  The triathlon is very tempting for me.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not shabby at all--nice work, especially on the running portion!  I'd love to do a duathlon someday (run, bike, run), but swimming...yuck.  3 totally different transitions would be really hard.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

redleaf

Nice work!

Find me a run swim run and I'd be in heaven (or even swim run swim, I'm a little afraid of my bike)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Congratulations!  I like the part about simple equipment.   Good for you.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What is the sprint distance for a tri?  I love to swim and run, but I don't own a bike.  I'm looking for a good commuter bike and then will look at something with speed later when I can manage to get up the NC hills.  The triathlon is very tempting for me.

There is no standard for a sprint triathlon, but a typical one might be half mile swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run. You can do one with any bike you can lay your hands on, if you can ride that far without your rear end getting too sore to stay on the saddle Smile

Muebele

Congrats! 

I also did the Philly Sprint on Saturday.  It's an 800 m swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  it's tough for a sprint. You should be really proud to have completed it.  Good Job! 

I bought my bike used for $300, so don't feel bad about having NORMAL equipment.  The only thing that bother's me about Triathlons is that fact that the money you have to spend on the equipment does matter.  But no matter who passed me on their super-bikes, I hunted them down on the run!

I was happy with my race, but that swim KILLED ME!

Matt

This is why I run

Congrats, I'm running my first triathlon in 12 years and first off road triathlon in 2 weeks.  A few years ago I got dabbed into mountain biking and bought a $200 entry level bike off ebay.  I'm planning on using it at my race.  I did manage to buy some tri shorts and a tri top but other than that, nothing special.  I actually just got back from a test ride of the bike course.  My run is going to suffer as that was one tough ride.

Travis

Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!
                      jingchunyu

Great job!

I myself use a cheap bike from some forgotten yard sale myself, but it has the proper number of wheels. Plus it has a kickstand, which all those other people with expensive bikes lack, so ha!

So, was it painful? Fun? How did you feel biking after the swim, and running after both of the others?

You thinking about doing it again?

Believe it or not, I think my bike was the only one with a kickstand too.  I was even reluctant to use it

but rather just lay my bike against fence when I waited to pick up my race number.   I was comfortable with sucha bike since it was not uncommon.  But not wearing a  tight did make me a little bit embarassed because I saw that I was the only one who wore a beach swimming short. 

I was slow in swmiing leg  and biking leg, but I was still faster in running so overally it was not painful at all.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Congrats. I certainly admire your courage to do a tri.

I don't think I could handle transitioning to another sport after I just raced one. After the swim I'd probably lie down in the transition area request a breakfast burrito and a nice place to nap.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                            Breakfast burritos are the new Gu. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was slow in swmiing leg  and biking leg, but I was still faster in running so overall it was not painful at all.

I think that is an advantage to us runners -- at least we get to be strong and probably even have a chance of passing people in the last leg of the race Smile

The shirtless wonder

Nice work!

Find me a run swim run and I'd be in heaven (or even swim run swim, I'm a little afraid of my bike)

Welcome to heaven:

Beach Cheap Aquathlon

I don't know if you want to trek all the way to Rochester mid-week for this though!