Indy Mini seeding? (Read 1422 times)

Former runner

So I have this strange desire to run around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway with 35K of my closest friends. The question now is should I send in my time for a spot in the preferred coral or wait until the spring to see if I can get a better time? I thought I read on the website that you can send in confirmation times more than once but now I can't find anything that mentions it. Confused

Ross

xor

If you think you'll run faster in early spring and they clearly have a cut-off date for receiving proof of time, then my advice would be to wait, but make vewwy vewwy certain you make the cut-off. Basically, you are balancing the following two things: 1. If you send something now and then send a new, faster thing later, they may ignore the second thing. 2. If you wait to send something until later, you might miss the cut-off... or you might make the cut-off, but because they will most certainly be way busier in the spring, they may misplace/lose your info. If it was me, I'd think that #1 is slightly more likely than #2. Maybe. I dunno. In any case, most races will have a trouble desk at the expo and perhaps they'll put you in a better corral then. (I'm being theoretical here. This is true about many of the corraled races I've done, but I've not run the mini).

Think Whirled Peas

I ran it last year, and if I recall there were three corrals for preffered based on times...and there were four seeded corrals. Just looked, and here's what I found: Mini-Marathon Seeding and Preferred Start Seeding Assignments If you can run a half-marathon distance in 2:30:00 or faster, you can be seeded towards the front of the starting area. You must provide proof in the form of results from a road race that has occurred between May 3, 2008 and March 7, 2009. All submissions of seeding proof must be post-marked by March 10, 2009, no exceptions. You may request seeding after registration with proper proof. Proper proof includes results from a race that has occurred between May 3, 2008 and March 7, 2009 and is at least a 5k in distance. To submit proof please either email a link to your results at seedingproof@500festival.com or mail in your results to: 500 Festival Attn: Seeding Proof 21 Virginia Ave., Suite 500 Indianapolis, IN 46204 All proof needs to include the name, date, and distance of the race and have your name and time clearly identified. You may confirm your seeding request by visiting www.500festival.com/marathon and then click on confirmation. Please allow 4-6 weeks for confirmation. Please note: you must request seeding, your 2008 times will NOT be automatically reviewed for seeding. If you do not submit proof then you will be placed in a corral based upon your estimated finish time. You can check your 2008 Mini-Marathon results by going to the following website: www.500festival.com/marathon/2008MiniMarathonResults.asp Seeding Times Chart - Finishing time . 5K 4M 5M 10K 13.1 26.2 L1 18:50 24:40 31:30 40:00 1:30 3:10 L2 20:30 27:15 35:30 45:00 1:40 3:30 L3 21:40 29:00 38:00 48:00 1:48 3:50 Pref 28:00 38:30 49:00 1:03:30 2:30 5:22

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Think Whirled Peas

Sorry for all that info, but my point is that unless you are planning on going from one level of the preffered corrals to the next level (based on the chart at the bottom of the previous post), then I would suggest submitting your time now. From my experience last year, just being in any of the preffered corrals will get you far enough forward to run fairly free of people. Don't misconstrue that to mean you won't be dodging people, b/c you will. 35,000 runners means there's a LOT of folks in the preferred corrals in front of you. But NOT getting a time in means you're going to be running in some serious crowds.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Former runner

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go ahead and submit my time. I'm just kidding myself if I think I can improve enough in the next 6 months to get out of the preferred corals.

Ross

an amazing likeness

Serious question -- would I be able to stop on the speedway and kiss the bricks if I ran the Indy Mini half?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.