Anyone got the new Forerunner 405? (Read 996 times)

I just got one today, and I'm still learning how to use it. I have never had a running watch. One thing I do not like is Garmin's lack of direction in terms of how to set up the wireless sync software. They tell you to go online, but they don't tell you what you need to download. The 405 is not even listed in the device drivers section. I finally ended up looking in their support section and seem to have found the software needed. I was relieved to find it but soon further frustrated when the install program failed with the error "Out of Memory." I am thoroughly confused because my pc had 3 GB of RAM...looks like despite the delays in releasing this product, they still didn't get things right in terms of software. Has anyone else been successful in getting the 405 up and running? Any tips?
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon

Imminent Catastrophe

I just got one. I haven't had trouble installing the software as you described but I've had other problems like workouts disappearing after I'd downloaded them and other glitches. I do think that Garmin software in general is pretty poor. I have had quick response from their support so you might want to try that. Otherwise I would say use some other software. I use ascent (for Mac) but others on RA seem to like motionbased and some others.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've had other problems like workouts disappearing after I'd downloaded them and other glitches.
        Ditto.. I think by leaving the Garmin USB on all the time, the 405 tries to download the workouts as soon as I come in the door and reception might not be great. I'm experimenting with only plugging the fob in when I'm near the computer.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I just got one. I haven't had trouble installing the software as you described but I've had other problems like workouts disappearing after I'd downloaded them and other glitches. I do think that Garmin software in general is pretty poor. I have had quick response from their support so you might want to try that. Otherwise I would say use some other software. I use ascent (for Mac) but others on RA seem to like motionbased and some others.
          I've started saving my workouts to a separate folder - if you right click on your workout - click export - you can easily save the file.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

A little off topic, but I know that Eric has been working on a GPS program for RA; any chance that it'll be able to do the 405 wireless thing also?

Imminent Catastrophe

I've started saving my workouts to a separate folder - if you right click on your workout - click export - you can easily save the file.
              I've been doing that, exporting the file, then importing into Ascent. Works like a charm and even when the data is obviously AFU (which is most of the time) in GTC and Garmin Connect it appears fine in Ascent. Just look at this run in Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/540285 Look at the pace chart (click on "performance->timing"). What is that all about? I guarantee my pace is not THAT steady! It looks just fine in Ascent. MTA comments

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Look at the pace chart (click on "performance->timing"). What is that all about? I guarantee my pace is not THAT steady! It looks just fine in Ascent.
                Ha. Max Speed 295,347.2 mph
                2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                kcam

Anyone have the 405 that has also used the 205/305? My 205 is done for and I need another - not sure if I should drop the extra coin for the 405 or just buy another 205. Comments?

cat/dog furniture

There's a group for Forerunner 405 owners: http://runningahead.com/groups/forerunner405/

Go Pre!

yes, and it is really helpful?!?!? Confused