What to eat during a marathon? (Read 3809 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

On my last training run of 22 miles I did a gu before starting and then one at 4, 8, 12, 16, 19. I got a little tired of taking the gus though and was wondering what other people take or do they just take that many gus? I think the gus help but it would be nice to be able to switch it up some. Since I started taking the I don't feel so tired at the end of the run. I had to force myself to eat the gu at 19 and will most Likely need to take another one at mile 22 or 23 to finish the race. Is there much of a difference between the regular gu and the roctane's? Would I need less gu then?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    xor

I do not eat gel on training runs. In a marathon, I will carry 4 gels. I usually eat 2. Sometimes 3. Every now and then, one or none. In a blue moon, I'll eat all four. I eat the first one at M10. I take the next one somewhere between M14-M18. The third one gets eaten around M18 if I ate one at M14. During the race, I'll drink diluted sportsdrink at most stations (grab a cup of water, grab a cup of sportsdrink... mix them to a strength that works for me). At aid stations where I eat a gel, I drink water.

You don't NEED* to take anywhere near that much much GU. Heck, the package even says @ every 45 minutes. I acknowledge the psychological boost of energy gels and I use them, but I;'ve also curtailed said usage through training. Four would be my MAX in a marathon. Don't know how many more training runs you have, but try scaling back to every six miles. Maybe even try not having one til say, mile 8. You pump that much GU (or any gel) into you, it's soon gonna emerge quickly and in roughly the same form. Roctane: Tasty, but not worth $1 more. * I'm sure Trent or someone else will soon jump in w/ the body's ability to burn glycogen and fat as relating to pace.
        Blisters

I don't use GU on training runs or even other long races but I usually run a marathon with four. I take one at mile 5, 10, 15, and 20. I can't say for sure that it helps - it's become more of an emotional comfort thing for me. In my last few marathons, Ive taken to bringing along a small cereal bar (under my hat, in my RaceReadys, or leave with a spectating friend) and taking a few bites out of at the half way mark. My stomach is much happier for the later miles that way.
          Scout7

I like burgers, hot dogs, and beer, personally.

#artbydmcbride

I like burgers, hot dogs, and beer, personally.
              I do not believe you have ever eaten a hot dog during a marathon.

Runners run

xor

But I've seen you eat a hot pocket.

Scout7

You're right, I haven't. I did eat pizza, though.

Giants Fan

My marathon is this Sunday and I am only taking four Gu's in case one or two fall when I'm trying to take them. I have only used 1 or 2 (even on my longer training run of 22) so am planning on taking one around mile 7-8, then again at 15, if needed mile 22-23. However I will not be drinking any sports drink with mine, only water in addition to my Gu's. I agree with dnephin, I think you are taking too many. Do you ever get sick to your stomach?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

I hardly use any in training..I'll take one at mile 16 in training, but in the marathon I will probably take one at start 6, 12, & 18 I used to need more during training...in fact my first marathon training I did as you did every 4 miles. It takes awhile to reduce your dependance. Although you run your long runs not that much slower than marathon pace which may be some of why you need it in training.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mummydust

I always start off with two gus and consume them around 10 and 20. I can't resist when they hand them out at the aid stations so sometimes I finish carrying more than I started with. They can be a nice distraction if i get bored late in a race, I am not convinced that they help me any. One of my racing friends has been known to eat dried mango and she always beats me, so that might be worth a try sometime. Seems like lots of folks were using the sport beans recently, but I don't like the way they rattle in my pocket.
                        xor

I don't like the way they rattle in my pocket
                          Heh. I pretend that the dude near me with the sportsbeans is a rattlesnake. Makes me run faster.

ymmv

At Marine Corps, I ate sport beans. I was dying for a toothbrush around mile 20. I really like the orange slices that are often put out on the course. The best on-course treat ever was the Zinfandel Sorbet at the Napa Valley marathon.

#artbydmcbride

But I've seen you eat a hot pocket.
                              Roll eyes Big grin

Runners run

EpicErin

Epic Runner

So I'm training for my first marathon in September but I cannot stand GUs. I've tried them during half marathons and they sort of make me gag, but I definitely need something during long runs. At my last two half marathons I brought some ShotBloks and Energy Blasts and while they tasted a little better, chewing was a little difficult.

I guess my question is, is it better to choke down the GUs in one fell swoop with some water, or are there other brands/flavors that taste any better? Any suggestions would be great. Smile

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/