Plantar Fasciitis (Read 112 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've been hitting consistent mid 40-50 or even 60 mile run weeks since late Jan -- training has been going great, following an 80/20 rule (80% easy/slow, 20% speedwork).    Long distance is really comfy, speed is getting pretty good, etc... and now plantar fasciitis creeps into my right foot.

Anyone make it through this with some good reccos?

I've been icing/rolling a lot, but still running.  In the 2 weeks it's gotten a more painful - now I'm feeling it at the base of my Achilles as well as rear of the heel.  Ouch.

I've been stretching/massaging my feet, calves, etc.   Tried using my theragun, I use my Normatecs, Strassburg sock, I roll on a lacrosse ball, ice-massage, ice wrap it (currently wrapped in two ice packs).

I've stopped running in my Endorphin Pros (I'm reading more about those carbon plates leading to foot/ankle issues) but I still race in them.  Maybe I should try a different shoe?  I'm reading the Hoka Bondi is made for plantar fasciitis issues - I've never run in Hokas before.

Any suggestions?  Things to try?  Things to be concerned about?!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

jeffdonahue

I prefer rolling on a golf ball rather than a lacrosse ball due to the texture.

Rolling on the frozen ice bottle is what usually helps me the most.  But I am having a bout of that now as well and really it's my sleeping position - hurts every morning when I get up but loosens up after a while and running is tolerable.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Keep in mind there are some studies out there that suggest muscle imbalances may also contribute to PF. Are you self-diagnosed or have you talked to a physio to add the causes of your PF flare-up? If it is getting more painful, consider going to a physio to get checked before you run yourself into an injury that sidelines you for longer.

Hokas are a shoe that some people love and other people hate. There's not a lot of middle ground. The specific design of Hokas rolls you forward onto your forefoot. Some people love that. It is also a wider shoe in general. They are definitely a very cushiony shoe.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Angus AT

I doubt that Achilles pain is directly related to the PF.  It may indicate that you need to work on your ankle dorsiflexion, which isn't a bad idea for PF generally. Gently though, of course, if you're having Achilles pain.   I'm having a bout myself after only a couple of months of 30-40 mpw. (Yes, I am a low volume guy.)  I'm finding that pressure with Lacrosse ball and all kind of work on calf and ankle mobility are helping.  I hope it stops getting worse.  I've found in the past, if I can keep running and mobilizing/stretching, it goes away with time.

hog4life

I had a bout of PF quite a few years ago and wanted to mention what helped me. I had been doing most things mentioned above that didn’t seem to be helping me much. 
             My wife uses a heating pad a lot for her back while relaxing on the couch. One day she got up and left the heating pad turned on so I wrapped my feet in it. After a couple hours I got off the couch and my foot felt much better. I continued using the heating pad along with consistent dosing of ibuprofen. PF was cleared up in no time, and since then I’ve realized it’s an over use thing with me. My theory on the heat is that it takes blood flow to help heal most injuries or wounds, so with the fascia lacking major blood vessels, the heat opens up the little ones that are there thus allowing better blood flow. Ice restricts blood flow, just my two cents. Try alternating all the things you’re doing but add some heat once in a while.

jsfuller

I had a bout of PF quite a few years ago and wanted to mention what helped me. I had been doing most things mentioned above that didn’t seem to be helping me much. 
               My wife uses a heating pad a lot for her back while relaxing on the couch. One day she got up and left the heating pad turned on so I wrapped my feet in it. After a couple hours I got off the couch and my foot felt much better. I continued using the heating pad along with consistent dosing of ibuprofen. PF was cleared up in no time, and since then I’ve realized it’s an over use thing with me. My theory on the heat is that it takes blood flow to help heal most injuries or wounds, so with the fascia lacking major blood vessels, the heat opens up the little ones that are there thus allowing better blood flow. Ice restricts blood flow, just my two cents. Try alternating all the things you’re doing but add some heat once in a while.

I like your suggestion. It agrees with a hypothesis I have had for a long time - need blood to an area that doesn't draw blood to itself well.

As for rolling the heel, I REALLY like a ball I found called Rubz. See Amazon link below, but feel free to buy it at your local running store. I picked one up for $5-10 and it has been totally worth it. It grabs the floor / carpet so I can roll my heel without flinging it across the room.

https://www.amazon.com/Due-North-Massage-Plantar-Fasciitus/dp/B002QEY6NK

I dealt with it for over a year, had PT, which did fix it, but the day I started running it flared up almost immediately. Then I couldn't get rid of it , my doctor finally suggested surgery. Told me it's all he can do , or i just have to stretch it out.  Had the sugery in March and I was running 2 months later. Proceedure was 30 min, home in the afternoon.  Had to promise I can stay off the foot for a week, had to use crutches that one week. Then, 2nd week, I was wearing sneakers.

Foam roll, foam roll..

LukeBoone

Not yet, but I am thinking this month.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I haven't been afflicted with PF, but just started trying out my new impact massager on my feet, and it sure feels good. Maybe it would improve circulation and speed healing? Or maybe it would feel really bad if you have PF.

noussername

I started a thread on this but it's been locked. Has anyone tried a night splint which is meant to keep the foot at right angles to the leg making it less painful in the morning.

I started a thread on this but it's been locked. Has anyone tried a night splint which is meant to keep the foot at right angles to the leg making it less painful in the morning.

M61

On paper it looks like a good idea, since the plantar heals "long" in dorsiflexion while you sleep, and the first step out of bed in the morning rips up that new scar tissue. I tried it a few times but had to take it off in the middle of the night because it was irritating me so much I couldn't go back to sleep. There are probably more comfortable ones than mine. Also, I probably over-did it and tried to stretch my toes toward my knees instead of just wearing it enough so I couldn't dorsiflex.

One thing that I do is sleep on my stomach with my feet hanging off the end of the bed part of the time, and they don't dorsiflex that way. I started getting PF in late August and have basically been running maybe 5 miles a week average since then. PF seems to be gone now, so I decided to mess up my MCL or Medial Meniscus on Monday by lifting a bunch of stuff and twisting.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

noussername

M61

On paper it looks like a good idea, since the plantar heals "long" in dorsiflexion while you sleep, and the first step out of bed in the morning rips up that new scar tissue. I tried it a few times but had to take it off in the middle of the night because it was irritating me so much I couldn't go back to sleep. There are probably more comfortable ones than mine. Also, I probably over-did it and tried to stretch my toes toward my knees instead of just wearing it enough so I couldn't dorsiflex.

One thing that I do is sleep on my stomach with my feet hanging off the end of the bed part of the time, and they don't dorsiflex that way. I started getting PF in late August and have basically been running maybe 5 miles a week average since then. PF seems to be gone now, so I decided to mess up my MCL or Medial Meniscus on Monday by lifting a bunch of stuff and twisting.

You were lucky, or treated your foot well, to get rid of it so soon, my husband has had this for 2 years now and it's not getting any better. He's finally beeen prescribed shock wave treatment but I'm not sure if this will work either.

You were lucky, or treated your foot well, to get rid of it so soon, my husband has had this for 2 years now and it's not getting any better. He's finally beeen prescribed shock wave treatment but I'm not sure if this will work either.

Mine comes back under the right conditions, mainly too much speed work. I've met some people with chronic PF, who are NOT runners. I think surgery is the only option for them. The plantar, achilles, and calf muscles are a system, and and tightening of the calf can cause problems with the other two. And since tendons DO NOT STRETCH, they will tear if forced to lengthen more than 5%, loosening the muscles by stretching and manipulation is the only way to relieve tension in that system.

On surgery; the sooner you do it the sooner you'll get back to running.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Tension Release: Beyond its circulatory benefits, foot scraping targets tension within the fascia and muscles of the foot. The scraping motion, applied with an appropriate level of pressure, helps release tightness and knots, promoting a more flexible and supple foot structure.

After two years with little relief, I finally gave scraping a try. I used an old keyboard from a table. It has been about four years with only an occasional flare-up.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTjt06_pr2A

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It worked miracles on my right foot PF. It hasn't done much with my left foot PF. However, I think in general it's relatively successful and anyone that has been struggled with chronic PF should try it if you have the means.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)