Jogging Stroller (Read 113 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Long story short, I'm back to the hunt for a double jogging stroller.  Thought I had one all lined up with BOB and their PR team, but they nixed the sponsorship... who knows why.

Anyway, I know there've been posts about jogging strollers in the past, but since there are new things all the time, I thought I'd start fresh.

I need a double jogger.  Anyone have one they love?  Any good or bad experiences with certain brands?  My twins are now six months old, so they're ready to rumble and man, I sure am!

Thanks!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

baby jogger pod

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Love your "Things", Mendeldave!

You have seen xristopher's xhristopher's 5K video, haven't you?

ultramarathon/triathlete

Huh, that POD does look pretty cool.  And you can hook it to a bike too?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Love your "Things", Mendeldave!

You have seen xristopher's 5K video, haven't you?

Ha, thanks!  We rotate who gets to be 1 and who's 2... you know, we don't want to give them a complex yet.

I haven't seen the 5k video.  Link?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

I haven't seen the 5k video.  Link?

Here's the link. Once we get rolling and finish passing folks it gets a little boring so don't miss us missing a turn at about 10:45.

You had better race these little buggers after you get the stroller. I'd go straight to the half marathon distance before they can complain about it.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I plan to race them asap!  In fact, BOB was sponsoring me to race with it in local races, but for some reason (details are foggy) that seems to no longer be happening.   I was thinking marathon distance for racing, but some 5ks too since I have a lot of them near me and some allow strollers.  I'm really hoping I can get them on some long training runs.  I've had them in 3+ hour strolls a few times and they slept, even when I was jogging, but my stroller really isn't fit for jogging, much along running.

So, you raced a 19x 5K with the Baby Jogger Pod?

I watched your whole video, good choice of music.  Who was the German band?  You chose a great ending song too.   It fit really well.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

I plan to race them asap!  In fact, BOB was sponsoring me to race with it in local races, but for some reason (details are foggy) that seems to no longer be happening.   I was thinking marathon distance for racing, but some 5ks too since I have a lot of them near me and some allow strollers.  I'm really hoping I can get them on some long training runs.  I've had them in 3+ hour strolls a few times and they slept, even when I was jogging, but my stroller really isn't fit for jogging, much along running.

So, you raced a 19x 5K with the Baby Jogger Pod?

I watched your whole video, good choice of music.  Who was the German band?  You chose a great ending song too.   It fit really well.

Enjoy the longer strolls while they are willing. I can't get my boy to race longer. The longest we've raced is 10K. Furthest we've run is 7 miles.

Ours is the standard old baby jogger design, not the pod version. If you want to go fast look for 20" wheels. The baby jogger with 20" wheels was a huge step up from our old bob with 16". I think the bob suspension eats a little speed too.

The German band is Wolfsheim.

ultramarathon/triathlete

What about that Chariot system?  There's an expensive CX2 but a less expensive Cougar.  Seems nice since you could tow it behind a bike, or run with it.  Anyone have experience with those models?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

sacarro

Run with single Chariot all the time. Absolutely awesome. Shocks make it possible to take it for a spin on mild trails.

ultramarathon/triathlete

So, in general, it looks like Bob Ironman double vs Chariot Cougar double or Chariot CX2 

I have a lot of store credit at a place that sells all three, so price is not the deciding factor, per say. 
                        It will only be used for jogging (or if Chariot, for biking too). 

The CX2 and BOB Ironman have a brake. I think the bob is front wheel, but the CX two is rear disc brakes or drum brakes. Do I need a brake?  I think Xhristopher said I do, any others think so?

I will primarily be training with it in the 2 lane wife paved 3.3 mile loop in the park across from my apartment. There are hills. Also racing with it locally.  But not on trails. 

I'm really tired of researching the hell out of this, but I take a while to make informed decisions, especially given the cost of all these! I'm getting fat while researching and not running! 

Suggestions based on the above?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

Get one with a brake. I have a 14 month old who weighs 23 lbs, and I have a hard enough time stopping if an idiot steps out in front of me.

You'll have double the load and width.

I will primarily be training with it in the 2 lane wife paved 3.3 mile loop in the park across from my apartment.

Where did she find the time?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            xhristopher

The CX2 and BOB Ironman have a brake. I think the bob is front wheel, but the CX two is rear disc brakes or drum brakes. Do I need a brake?  I think Xhristopher said I do, any others think so?

You absolutely need a brake. No question about it, especially with hills. Front wheel brake on the BOB works just fine.

We put our kid in the BOB SUV Deluxe (essentially the IM) at about 3-4 months and really liked it as a regular stroller and used it daily. It folds up to go in the car in just a couple seconds. It was pretty good at everything. I'd get it again.

The CX has 20 inch rear wheels, which may be faster and roll over things smoother. I like it's lower center of gravity and profile. Having the bike option is good too.

I'm guessing the CX is better for your sporting life and the BOB is better for the rest of your life.

xhristopher

Where did she find the time?

... and I thought it was paved with wives.