Drugs Offer Promise of Fitness Without Effort (Read 796 times)

jingchunyu

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/science/01muscle.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin Quote: Researchers at the Salk Institute report they have found two drugs that do wonders for the athletic endurance of couch potato mice. One drug, known as Aicar, increased the mice’s endurance on a treadmill by 44 percent after just four weeks of treatment. A second drug, GW1516, supercharged the mice to a 75 percent increase in endurance, but had to be combined with exercise to have any effect.
      Watch out Tom, Jerry's on the juice Shocked
        geesh. and all this quibbling about training being too simple or too complicated.

Jennifer mm#1231

Go Daddy

My money is on Mickey in the Disney World Marathon this winter.
            How far could they run if they were wearing their medals?

Giant Flaming Dork

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/science/01muscle.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin Quote: Researchers at the Salk Institute report they have found two drugs that do wonders for the athletic endurance of couch potato mice. One drug, known as Aicar, increased the mice’s endurance on a treadmill by 44 percent after just four weeks of treatment. A second drug, GW1516, supercharged the mice to a 75 percent increase in endurance, but had to be combined with exercise to have any effect.
              Damn. That means that I could have blown out my hamstring 44% quicker!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Pure shameless laziness. If we have to invent drugs to avoid getting up to actually accomplish something, our culture is doomed. In most of the world the American work ethic is highly regarded. It may seem strange to those who haven't travelled, but many countries look up to our tradition of efficiency and accomplishment. Have we come so far from our proud traditions? Personally, I couldn't face my reflection if I took such a drug. For our own good, I pray it doesn't work on people.
                Do bears bear? Do bees be?

Hawt and sexy

I bet they could go really far if they were wearing their medals AND eating gels. Lots of gels. And a soft cushy salty road, mostly interstates of course, but mostly wearing khakis while running. Nice to see you jingchunyu. Good times.

I'm touching your pants.

Imminent Catastrophe

Barry Bonds could add another 5 years to his career.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

*sigh...* First it was that damn FIRST program to encourage people to run better without running... Now a drug... I don't have the book right here with me so I can't quite exactly but it's one of my favorite lines: From "The Little Prince". It goes something like this... "They invented this pill to stop feeling thirsty. If you take this pill and now you don't feel thirsty at all, you save 48 minutes a week!" "If I have extra 48 minutes," Little Prince thought, "I would just take a nice strall down to a nice spring well for a cold refreshing sip of water..." I'd still rather go around over an hour's cross country run around Wood Rill near my place; or 2+ challenging hours around Willow Creek loop with rolling hills. The other day, it was a clear summer day with beautiful blue sky with a huge white cloud building up in the east sky... I was sweating so much that I could squeeze my shirt and my sweat dripped and I was loving it! I run because I like the feel of it. If you don't like to run, do whatever turns you on. I'll stick to my running. Had Heffty started his own thread on this topic?
                        I'd still rather go around over an hour's cross country run around Wood Rill near my place; or 2+ challenging hours around Willow Creek loop with rolling hills.
                        That's close to what I wrote in another group.Smile
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        Go Daddy

Barry Bonds could add another 5 years to his career.
                          Did the mouse's heads get bigger? or is it mice's heads? Are the performance enhanced mice shunned by their peers and unable to find anyone to play with?

Nanorunner

The big benefit if for those who CAN"T excercise. This could be a wonderful improvement for the lives of the disabled. Those of us who are lucky enough to be able to excercise shouldn't feel so threatened by it. There are many benefits from real excercise that can't be duplicated by a drug.

Hawt and sexy

I somehow have this feeling that this drug was not made so that Stephen Hawking could be fit.....just a hunch really..... The drug was made because silly Americans will buy anything. Ask China, they know.

I'm touching your pants.