Are you ready to give up some football? (Read 773 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It has just struck me that the reasoning that several of you put forth, namely that if they'd played stronger, the last touchdown wouldn't have mattered, might seem less reasonable to me if applied to a running race, like so:

Tergat didn't lose at Sydney in that suspenseful last straightaway sprint -- he just didn't run fast enough earlier in the 10K final.

Hmmm. Not sure I buy that completely. I mean, it may be true, but he lost the actual race that happened in the last 50m, regardless of what might have happened if they'd actually pushed the pace in the middle, as was thought to be the best strategy.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

It has just struck me that the reasoning that several of you put forth, namely that if they'd played stronger, the last touchdown wouldn't have mattered, might seem less reasonable to me if applied to a running race, like so:

Tergat didn't lose at Sydney in that suspenseful last straightaway sprint -- he just didn't run fast enough earlier in the 10K final.

Hmmm. Not sure I buy that completely. I mean, it may be true, but he lost the actual race that happened in the last 50m, regardless of what might have happened if they'd actually pushed the pace in the middle, as was thought to be the best strategy.

Or....If you'd worked harder in the middle, it wouldn't have mattered that your competitor was doping.  So it's still your fault you lost, even though you are clean and he owns stock in Amgen (they make EPO).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

And thank God they do.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Miss a turn on the race course or get miss directed and see if  your time  or placement gets adjusted.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Miss a turn on the race course or get miss directed and see if  your time  or placement gets adjusted.

apples and oranges.  a 5k with a little trophy on the line is not the same as an important contest in a billion dollar a year sporting enterprise. 

if the olympic gold medal was decided based on a runner being mis-directed by an unqualified official do you not think there would be an outcry of complaint from the runner led in the wrong direction and from the fans in his/her home country?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The article on bizarre Olympic events --  http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/136316 -- says that the gold medal for the 100 free at the 1960 Olympics in Rome was given to second place finisher John Devitt, and that the head judge order the time of the faster American finisher to be changed to be slower than Devitt's time. How's that for some good referee service. Just about up there with recent NFL caliber.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The article on bizarre Olympic events --  http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/136316

A couple of nice marathon stories there too.  Those were the days! Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

apples and oranges.  a 5k with a little trophy on the line is not the same as an important contest in a billion dollar a year sporting enterprise. 

if the olympic gold medal was decided based on a runner being mis-directed by an unqualified official do you not think there would be an outcry of complaint from the runner led in the wrong direction and from the fans in his/her home country?

Removed my comment. I have not run since 9/1. I am a little on edge. Injured.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

A couple of nice marathon stories there too.  Those were the days! Smile

Going into a bar alongside the course, for a drink during the race - that was pretty awesome.

Prince of Fatness

Well now, here is one person who thinks that the replacement refs didn't suck.

Click.

Not at it at all. 

Well now, here is one person who thinks that the replacement refs didn't suck.

Canadian citizens are allowed to bet on sports events in wagers run by Canada's provincial governments.

We need the Canadian/Dutch system to get our government out of debt.  Legalize government run gambling.  Legalize government taxed recreational drugs.  Then add in government run whore houses and we'd be debt free by the end of my second term in 2020.