Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

kimba

Kim - hope it goes well!!  A lot of providers here experimented with virtual services during our lockdown.  The only ones that really nailed it were Sportslab.  One thing they did - and have continued to do - was also have a pretty active social media platform with general tips for flexibility, injury prevention and those sorts of things being put up regularly.  Just helped keep them front of mind with clients I guess.

I assume that’s in Australia?  There is a sports lab in NYC as well, as I just learned from my Google search.....

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Kim website looks great. Congrats on making the big move. I have been self employed for 27 years and love the freedom of been my own boss. I also use " we " when talking to customers 

I pulled a calf about 11 weeks ago. I had 5 weeks of low mileage and biking and its seems ok now.

Keen that's a long way for Sahara dust to travel. Shows how small the world actually is to mother nature.

2 workouts are a bit much for me too although I count fast longruns as a workout as well as either tempo or intervals.

I'm meeting up with Steve sunday week at Christchurch for a recovery run and coffee afterwards. Will do the Parkrun on the Saturday.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I assume that’s in Australia?  There is a sports lab in NYC as well, as I just learned from my Google search.....

Hehe, New Zealand.  But it wouldn't surprise me if there's one in Australia too!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice, first forum meetup this year I'd say?  I might try and do parkrun sometime soon.  But I just noticed that coach has a particularly nasty track session planned for this week (400 repeats with 1-minute recoveries), which will probably feel a lot like a 5km race by the end haha.

Me - This morning's run put me at 2,401km for the half-year.  I remember at this point last year I'd just crossed the 2,000km mark so I'm around 20% up on overall mileage.  Admittedly it helps that there's been a lot less races in the last 6 months versus the same period last year, but it still seems like a big step up.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Kimba - Great website, congrats and good luck with the new business Smile

.Piwi, Mark, Watson  great weeks!

Flavio, I hope you are still enjoying Italy! I might not go this year ... but at some point in the future we could get an ice cream in the sunshine rather than a coffee in the rainy Belfast Smile When are you planning to move to Bologna?

Darkwave - solid week as usual,

wow! Lots of dedication and motication in this group lately.

I am trying to get back up and the last 3 weeks have been good, above 40 miles per week and with some faster mile (or more hills) in the last week. I am hoping to increase a bit effort and miles throuhg July and August. No races for this year, but I will try to build up to finally get to a race in 2021 in good shape.

have a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

zebano

Kimba - I'm in flyover country, Iowa to be precise. It's now regularly in the upper 80s here which I know makes Texas chuckle condescendingly but the humidity has been out of this world. I'm starting to see "Feels like 100" in my weather app =(

Regarding the ultra, recovery is slow but I was amazed how well a decent weekly mileage and a bunch of tempo runs carried over. I had once sworn never to do one (or another marathon) but that's gone, now I'm scouting ones in the Rocky mountains next year. =)

Good luck with the private practice, I'm really curious how virtual medicine will work out for you. Most notably as a person who will do strength work on their own, I've never found a guided workout full of calf raises and the like to be that useful, but things like ART and dry needling have done wonders when I've needed them.

Keen - how did you like that 4x1KM workout? Last year I did a lot of critical velocity workouts -- about 3min intervals around 10k pace with minute recovery totalling 18-24 minutes of running last year and felt like they were a great workout. I got a lot of the benefits of tempo runs and some ability to handle the faster running I would get from VO2 sessions without trashing my legs.

What's this about a dust cloud? That's crazy.

Kiwis - I'm so impressed with the way your country handled the corona virus. Super awesome that you don't have any cases, enjoy your brunch.

Mark that is a stellar amount of KMs for half a year. Congrats on stepping up this year and staying healthy.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Closing out the first half of the year with 1,898.84 miles - just a touch over 300 more than at the same point last year.

Zebano - If you find an ultra in my general area let me know and I'll come crew/pace if you like.

I usually LOVE CV workouts - to me they feel like you're certainly doing a good amount of work, but at the same time feel very doable. I also did them quite often last year (usually 6-8), but they kinda sucked last week - I'm not in great speed shape right now, and adding to that the Kiwi point and too much of a workout on Monday and they didn't go as well as I'd like. I'll probably do 4-5 of them Friday.

Saharan Dust: Here's a good page that shows the cloud travelling over several days, but ending the day before it went through Oklahoma.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As of last night, a mile race I'm entered in is on for July 25 (police approved it yesterday).  It's being run in 50 person heats.

A small local race is happening tomorrow - limited to 50 people.

Jmac - not every race is a NYRR/BAA extravaganza.   Smile

I guess that's a "race" but to me, that's effectively no racing going on. Until at least 100 people can line up at the start and run, it's not a race in my opinion. Given the trajectory of the US, especially the south and west, I don't see that happening until next spring. Maybe some areas in the country can handle that, but not anywhere near a metropolitan area.

I think people who think fall is going to be fine are way too optimistic in the US right now. Planning to run any race with 500+ people in the fall is silly, unless you're in a state where your government has 100% given up. Then maybe. But why any government would take that chance if there's good vaccine news in the fall is beyond me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - you're getting there, but you really need some MP work of 20K. That is especially true for a hilly marathon: there's a major mental aspect of getting through a tough hill in a marathon and being able to mentally regroup while keeping pace up, just like there is for any major hill in a half marathon that is past the halfway point. I would run a 20K MP effort on rolling terrain.

Also, i agree with DW. A 9% grade hill for a half mile should not exist in a marathon, unless it was in the first 3 miles. That's hard to overcome.

Kimba - Still in NYC, moved just a few blocks away. Congrats on your new practice! I find that PT is a mixture of both knowledge, and physical help, but I'm probably in the minority in that most people just need guidance from a professional. so I think you can do well virtually.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Kim - thanks, yeah I’m doing my strength exercises regularly to try to keep the woes at bay.

Awesome website and best of luck on your new endeavour. Was evolvept not available?

Using We is perfect especially because you might add more people in the future.

Keen  - heh, we all have our weak spots, mine is for pastries and Italians are grand masters at baking great pastries.

Marco - this will sound weird but Italy is being very familiar to me, in a way it’s almost as if I just returned home.

I know just the ice cream place to go in Bologna.

I’m still waiting for the process to complete, who knows when it’s going to end.

Jmac - I resent your definition of a race cause it makes the only race I've ever won not a race 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Saharan Dust: Here's a good page that shows the cloud travelling over several days, but ending the day before it went through Oklahoma.

Don't call it a come back.

Godzilla Raids Again.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Resident Historian

Question for the experienced marathoners on here... my goal marathon has some hills in it.  The total elevation gain is around 200m / 650 ft.  There are basically 6 hill climbs, 3 of these are relatively gradual ones which I'm less worried about, but there are 3 I'll need to think carefully about.  One particularly nasty one just before the halfway mark (about a half-mile climb with a 9% grade) followed by a couple of short, sharp ones (both around a quarter-mile climb with ~6% grade).

On race day I'll aim to run to even effort and not kill myself on these hills... but for those who have run Boston or other hilly courses, did you do any specific hill training at or around MP/effort and how did you manage it?  I'm thinking I'll incorporate some hills in my MP tempo blocks and try to get a feel for the pace/effort trade-off.

I agree with others re training at marathon-effort on similar uphills. For me, the Newton Hills at Boston were my nemesis. Suffered badly three times. For the fourth, I trained on similar-size hills in series, and had no problem at all. When I looked at your Strava runs a while ago, the hills on your regular routes should give you lots of opportunities.

I had the same reaction as darkwave to a marathon with 1/2 mile at 9%: .  I looked at the Rotorua route on the website's map. Some sections may hit 9% (like Km. 20.20-20.36, 0.16k/0.1mi) but they are pretty short . The other large hill Per the map, that entire hill (20.04-20.61) has a climb of 27m, 4.7%. No doubt, some serious hills, but not as daunting as described. You will have to watch the downhills a bit, though, there's a short -9% section coming out of that area.

ETA: Just noticed that the website map has an option to show gradient -- but I think it's averaged over some larger distances so the short steep ups and downs don't come through.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

watsonc123

Mark - excellent volume for the year.

Keen - that's massive volume for the year!

Kimba - good luck.  Your site is good.  One small thing, there's a lot of "coming soon" at the bottom of the site.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

I've driven up that hill in Mark's marathon many times and run up the other twice. He will not need to walk.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - A 9% grade hill for a half mile should not exist in a marathon, unless it was in the first 3 miles. That's hard to overcome.

Wait, aren't you the one that gives me a hard time for that one downhill race?

Longboat - I was working off a blog post that discussed each of the major hills.  But, I agree, when you look at the official website, the gradient doesn't look quite as bad.  Normally Hayden's blogs are quite reliable but based on what Piwi says I wonder if he's mis-measured something here.  That hill at ~20km is tough, but maybe not quite as bad as I thought.  Anyway, the course is the course so it looks like I'll be throwing down some long MP effort sections on rolling terrain as practice.

You make a good point on the downhills too.  Easy to smash the quads on those if you're not careful.  I can remember from Kerikeri HM how the flat sections felt suspiciously tough after long downhill stretches.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"