Pain ... on the outside of my legs (Read 446 times)

I have read a bunch of posts about pain after you run or shin splints or calf problems but I can't seem to find anything about significant pain on the outside of my lower legs while I am running. I have been a sporadic off again on again runner for the last year (mostly off), started up again and I have significant pain mostly in my left leg although the right is certainly noticeable. I happens while I am running usually from about 1/2 mile up to about 1.5 - 2 miles into the run. In the past it has subsided after that point, but this time around it stopped me from running on Sat. The pain lessens dramatically if I start walking but it comes right back once I start running again. I am wondering if my foot is hitting the ground wrong or maybe it is just used to the workout again and I need to stretch it properly ... which I do very little of anyway. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ....

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

HeavyDSteffe

The pain could be muscle fatigue. Specifically, you could be overworking you peroneus brevis and longus. These are two muscles on the side of your lower leg that assist in pronating your foot as you run. If you have high arches sometimes these muscles have to work very hard to get the medial part of your foot on the ground with every step. I had this issue when I began running 10 years ago. Eventually the muscles built up endurance and I haven't had a problem since. Does the pain feel like a fatigued muscle or is it more of a sharp pain. Do you have high arches? Are you using any kind of motion control shoes? At anyrate, I would trying integrating walking into your runs before the pain starts.
        i do have higher than normal arches and wide feet ... i don't use anything special for for shoes, it feels like a bad charlie horse on the outside of my leg thanks Heavy, I appreciate the feedback.

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.