My $18 Walmart Starter Pro Wear Test (Read 366 times)

Short version. Bought them Saturday for $18 wore them for my runs Monday, Tuesday and this morning and I will likely wear them tonight on a 10-11 miler. Feel great. No issues other than I should have bought a half size smaller.

Long version. I've been wearing Puma FAAS 550 since July 2012 pretty much exclusively other than flirting with a pair of go runs for a couple months until I lost one of them (I love the go runs). I am a 5'9" 175 lb neutral runner who prefers a minimal shoe with as small a heel toe drop as possible. (When I was only logging 45-55 miles a week I would take out my insoles to get closer to the ground, now, with my current mileage, my knees and feet  demand that I leave them in.) I need a new pair of Pumas badly but my wife tells me I have to wait. Last week was a 70 mile week for me and on Saturday my left knee and right foot were killing me. Since my daughter and I were heading to Walmart to get her a bathing suit, I grabbed a pair of fluorescent lime green running shoes that seemed really light and neutral but that had a little bit thicker sole than I'm used to, but for $18 I was willing to take the chance.

As mentioned above, the shoes are fine... a big toe box and seemingly much more cushioning than I am used to. My right foot felt better almost immediately and oddly enough my left knee feels as good as it has since I tweaked it back in October.  So that's good. I don't love the shoes but I like them a lot and a lot better than many more expensive shoes I've bought. After I get my new 550s, I'll probably swap this shoe out a couple times a week for my junk mile runs to save wear and tear.

Since no amount of internet searching has led me to the actual shoe on either starter's or walmart's websites, or anywhere else, and I have no idea what the model name is (not on the shoe, may have been on the tag which is gone), I have a picture sitting on my desktop ready to upload if I can just figure out, or someone can tell me, how to do so.

mikeymike

If you're a neutral pronater you probably won't have any issues, if they're comfortable then they're probably fine. Put those bad boys on a postage scale and see what they weigh.

Runners run

pedaling fool

First off, let me say I'm new to running and I don't even know my style of running, although I did just buy a new pair of shoes that I use only for running, but with only 70 miles on them I still can't see a discernible wear pattern that indicates my running style; maybe I just need to take them to my local running store and see if they can.

Having said that, I always buy cheap shoes from wal-mart-like stores. I don't log near the miles you do, currently only doing between 20-25 miles per week. I don't know, maybe as my mileage increases I will seek more expensive shoes.

Saw those shoes a few nights ago, tempted to purchase a pair just to walk around in.

Per Mikey's suggestion, I got 11.2 oz per shoe, that was after tonight's run so they were pretty wet with sweat. My faas 550 weigh 9.6 oz dry. Still liking them a lot after a longish run tonight.

Received my new Puma 550s today and slipped them on for tonight's run and, although this will seem like an indictment of the walmart specials, man! did they feel good. In any event, 118 miles later I have nothing but positives to say  about the specials. My left knee and right foot still feel great and I plan to use them once or twice a week to extend the calendar life of the 550s cuz getting shoe money out of my wife is like robbing fort knox. And when they wear out, I'll likely by another pair.

Nice. This is some running science I can appreciate particularly since you're freely publishing your findings. I'd imagine the upper will fall apart quicker than usual, or the sole of the shoe will separate prematurely. Or, maybe they'll just be a badass pair of $18 shoes.

I am glad I hopped into the forums today... this is worth pursuing.

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.

jfa

but with only 70 miles on them I still can't see a discernible wear pattern that indicates my running style; maybe I just need to take them to my local running store and see if they can.

Any of your old worn shoes will do. Set them on a table and look at them from behind to see if they lean this way or that.

Those Walmart shoes sound intriguing.

uberland

A very inexpensive performance polyester wicking top and base layer bottoms for men is made by SB Tech.  The cost is under $10.00.

cklam

I have been running with gorun and gorun2 from skechers , they are great shoe with roomy front to allow movement of toes which is imporant for me since I used to have blisters problem running daily 8 - 13 miles. The problem with goRun is that their EVA bottom is really soft and there have no protection for forefeet if you are a natural forefeet striker. I sustained stone bruises when running on occasional gravel trail. Recently, I noticed the cheap 16 dollars Starter running shoe at walmart. Their make is extremely similar to that of 85 dollars skechers!, with eva bottom and the heel drop is relatively low compared to other cheap brand like Avia. The important thing is that their Bottom is reinforced with a type of Fiction resistant carpet type material to act as a slip resistant bottom, they act like those material you found on the bus when you step on it. This material , I tested by stepping on some sharp object, is relatively strong and it act as a barrier to protect me from stone bruises. I tested it two days ago on a trail and it work ! no stone bruises after run. It is very light weight and the big wide front allow roomy Toes movement, This is the best OEM shoe from Walmart I found so far, it is a real accomplishment from Those OEM in china getting great ODM idea from popular brand to come out with this cheap and yet performers to benefit us all. 5 fives to starter pro.

Short version. Bought them Saturday for $18 wore them for my runs Monday, Tuesday and this morning and I will likely wear them tonight on a 10-11 miler. Feel great. No issues other than I should have bought a half size smaller.

Long version. I've been wearing Puma FAAS 550 since July 2012 pretty much exclusively other than flirting with a pair of go runs for a couple months until I lost one of them (I love the go runs). I am a 5'9" 175 lb neutral runner who prefers a minimal shoe with as small a heel toe drop as possible. (When I was only logging 45-55 miles a week I would take out my insoles to get closer to the ground, now, with my current mileage, my knees and feet  demand that I leave them in.) I need a new pair of Pumas badly but my wife tells me I have to wait. Last week was a 70 mile week for me and on Saturday my left knee and right foot were killing me. Since my daughter and I were heading to Walmart to get her a bathing suit, I grabbed a pair of fluorescent lime green running shoes that seemed really light and neutral but that had a little bit thicker sole than I'm used to, but for $18 I was willing to take the chance.

As mentioned above, the shoes are fine... a big toe box and seemingly much more cushioning than I am used to. My right foot felt better almost immediately and oddly enough my left knee feels as good as it has since I tweaked it back in October.  So that's good. I don't love the shoes but I like them a lot and a lot better than many more expensive shoes I've bought. After I get my new 550s, I'll probably swap this shoe out a couple times a week for my junk mile runs to save wear and tear.

Since no amount of internet searching has led me to the actual shoe on either starter's or walmart's websites, or anywhere else, and I have no idea what the model name is (not on the shoe, may have been on the tag which is gone), I have a picture sitting on my desktop ready to upload if I can just figure out, or someone can tell me, how to do so.

running metalhead

Love the thread.

I love to do this kind of strange things. I am also a minimalist-ish runner doing roughly the same mileage (well, last year I kept it at 55mi/week too).

I tried a 10K training with canvas "sneakers"  and in the Barfootrunning.org forums I read a lot of people who were using el-cheapo sport shoes, even these that aren't meant for running.

From what I understand the main issue with sneakers is that the sole wears off pretty quickly, else more people would be running in these (I did a good amount of miles with these during military service and they felt just good).

With the type of shoes that you refer too (I assume more in the line with "modern" running shoes) I assume that the wear in the sole shouldn't be a problem. And if you are used to minimal stuff your feet muscles should be pretty strong.

So keep us informed mate, I'm pretty curious Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Marylander

When I first started running back in 2008 I scoffed at paying ~$100 for a pair of running shoes. I started just running in some shoes I had already. One day while walking through walmart I saw some water shoes on clearance for $1/pair so I bought a couple pairs. I eventually ran about 2000 miles between the 2 pairs. I got them since I was cheap. I didn't know what "minimalist" was or anything like that I just wanted something to protect my feet while running. Wink I have since bought shoes intended for running but still in the minimalist vein and, while they are more comfortable than the walmart specials, I'm glad I got started with those crappy water shoes.