Getting back into running- advice (Read 40 times)

cstone

3 or 4 years ago I was a pretty decent recreational runner. I ran 3-4 times a week, usually one long run 5-7 miles and 2 shorter 3.2 miles sub-10 minute miles (9:45ish). Since then life happened and I had a baby, became way more sedentary and gained about 30 lbs. I'm working on loosing the weight and obviously that's slowing me down. I really would like to get more seriously back into running, I loved how it made me feel and I felt accomplished doing it.

I've started running more regularly over the past two months and now I can run 2 11-minute miles pretty comfortably. I'm not as concerned about the time, but I would like more distance.

Any advice/encouragement/words of wisdom?

Seattle prattle

NOt much advice, but i totally agree with you - running makes a big difference in one's quality of life. Good luck with it and glad you could find your way back.

Run consistently - try for at least 3 runs of at least 20 minutes each week, but the more miles the better and allow at least one rest day. Keep a journal, online or written, keep track of distances and times. RunningAhead has a good online one or you could just write in a notebook. This will help you focus on what you are doing and encourage you as you see improvements. If you can find a running friend or group. Eat healthy foods, not junk. As your training progresses you may want to sign up for a 5k race, it does not matter if you are slow, I am sure there will be ones slower in the race. The idea is that you will then have a goal to train for and be more motivated in your training (Gosh, my 5k is just 3 weeks away, better do the run today!) It also motivates to read about running either online, in  books or magazines. I really enjoyed the books "Born To Run" and "Once A Runner". There are also many books on training available, all with different plans and philosophies. A good basic one is "Runners World Complete Guide To Running" of which there are several different versions and you can buy one of those online.

roman_the_runner

Run, boy, run

So what's your question? Run more if you want to Smile

If you want more miles, work on the mileage. I guess you are focus on speed too much. Anyway, keep it going and remember — consistency is the key.