Do speed laces make your legs hurt? (Read 1068 times)

I bought a pair of speed laces to put on my shoes to try out for a triathlon I'm doing this weekend. I've been for 2 short runs in them, and I've noticed that during or after these runs, my shins have been hurting A LOT worse than they have been in the recent past. A little history: I've had shin splints for what seems like an eternity. I finished 6 weeks of PT recently, and wasn't having any major problems (just some soreness, not really shin splint pain). Then I started running a little more (not a lot- I don't think I'm overdoing it) without mishap, then the tried the laces and started having some pain. Confused Anybody have any problems with your shins after using speed laces (or changing the way you tie your shoes)?
    Scout7

Never in my shins, and not from speed laces. Could be your shoes need replaced. Could be you didn't think you were overdoing it, but still did. Could be the laces.

Running Dad

First I'm no expert but here goes, Could be you're tying the laces too tight. I had this problem for a while before I realized what it was. Try Loosening them as much as possible, enough to keep your shoes on, and see how that goes.
        Things to do this year:
        Not get an injury
        Things done this year:
        Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
        xor

If I tie my shoes too tightly or incorrectly, I have pain in the top of my feet. When my shoes go bad, I have pain in my knees. Shins? I doubt that's lacing.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

If I tie my shoes too tightly or incorrectly, I have pain in the top of my feet. When my shoes go bad, I have pain in my knees. Shins? I doubt that's lacing.
            Unless the original lacing system was a key part of the shoe's support.... A loose shoe will often not provide the level of support the shoe is designed to offer. If you need support and the shoe isn't offering it, you can get shin splints.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

C-R

I've used these laces in the past and have had good luck in keeping my shoes in place as with regular laces. Question for you - do the shoes feel different (no other changes)? If so perhaps the laces are the culprit. Any changes in training (increased speed, different surface, more hills, less hills, etc.)? I guess what I'm thinking is that there is a bigger culprit than the laces IMHO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jules2

I use those laces in my racing flats as I've had "normal" ones come undone, I always think that as they are elastic they have some give in case my feet swell in a half marathon. Can't see how it would effect your shins. I started using them for triathlons or duathlons as they are quicker, will never come undone and will always be the same fit. But now I use them for all races.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks for the replies. All good points. I'm thinking it might be a combination of the laces and my shins just not being healed. Sad I need to work on the tightness and see if it helps. Smile
                    I too have been the victim of shin splint pain, and what I found was that I had to make my laces tighter than I normally do if I'm just going to work or whatever. Tying them tighter really added to the support in my case. Since speed laces are somewhat elastic, I wonder if they're allowing your feet to shift around in your shoes more and thus, affecting the support of the shoe? I'm no expert, just a thought.
                    2009 Goals:
                    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                    Run a 10K
                    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                    Complete my first Sprint Tri
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I use those laces in my racing flats as I've had "normal" ones come undone, I always think that as they are elastic they have some give in case my feet swell in a half marathon. Can't see how it would effect your shins. I started using them for triathlons or duathlons as they are quicker, will never come undone and will always be the same fit. But now I use them for all races.
                      IF you NEED the arch support and your shoe isn't giving it problems arise. The laces needs to be somewhat tight to provide the designed level of support. Loose laces = less arch support. Shin splints are one of many problems that may arise. Depends on the person.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."