General Question on Galloway Method (Read 218 times)

MM #7877

I'm running my 20th marathon this weekend. Not prepared for hills on course (Hatfield - McCoy).  I live in flat farm land Ohio. So I was thinking of using Galloway method. My normal time is 3:40 - 3:45. I really dont care what my time is this weekend, just want to finish and add Kentucky to my list of states I have completed a marathon in.

So how does the Galloway method work - Run 8 minutes, Walk 2 minutes? Or is it by distance - Run .8 mile, Walk .2 mile?  Dont need a lot of details, just a general idea how to get through the hilly course.

Philippians 4:13.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Did your cardiologist clear you for this?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

probably not fast enough

So how does the Galloway method work - Run 8 minutes, Walk 2 minutes? Or is it by distance - Run .8 mile, Walk .2 mile? 

It's by time.  I think he bases it off your one-mile time, your experience, your usual easy pace.  It's probably all on the web somewhere, and good luck on your marathon...

#artbydmcbride

If its because it is hilly, I wouldn't worry about a formula, I'd brisk walk the uphills, and run the downhills and flat areas. 

Runners run

If its because it is hilly, I wouldn't worry about a formula, I'd brisk walk the uphills, and run the downhills and flat areas. 

This.

I've seen people try to do Galloway on hilly course, and it's kinda amusing watching them run uphill then walk downhill.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

This.

I've seen people try to do Galloway on hilly course, and it's kinda amusing watching them run uphill then walk downhill.

It's still called Galloway?

Get off my porch

NHLA

Be careful on the early downhills. It easy to blow up your quads early in a hilly race.

Run 5 min walk a min 2x then walk on steep hills every 5-6 miles.

Don't run long easy climbs too fast. They don't seem hard but your HR can climb.

You should have a fun race since you are not looking for PR.

MM #7877

Thanks, good info. Yep, just wanting to get through the hills and have some fun. Not taking this one seriously at all Smile

I have been using Galloway the past year.  The intervals are based on pace.  I'm a 8:45-9:00 marathoner and for marathons I do a 4/1 interval.  The important part about Galloway is you have to do it from mile 1, not when you get tired.  If it's a hilly course sometimes I adjust it but you shouldn't need to if you're doing it properly.  Go to jeffgalloway.com and he explains his method.  Believe me, it works and you'll be faster and not be sore afterwards.  I used it for the Dopey Challenge and was not sore at all.

P.S.  I noticed your Philippians 4:13 note.  Do you know about TEAM 413?  If not, you need to check it out.  Good luck with your race.

MM #7877

I am slightly familiar with the Phil 4:13 team - He /or his wife had a booth at a couple marathons I've run. I never signed up to join them or anything.  It's a special verse for me. Thanks for your feedback!

GinnyinPA

If you haven't trained using the Galloway method, you may have some cramping issues.  Seems that some people go faster during the running portion than they trained for, to make up for slowing down during the walk parts.  That can cause problems.

MM #7877

I jogged the 1st half in 2 hours, stopping only to walk through 1 fluid station.

The second half I did employ a mostly jog / walk inclines strategy, and walked through the fluid stations.  I also hooked up with a fellow runner and had a great conversation, we ended up walking all of mile 24. My second half was a 2:27.

I felt great. Normal 3:40 - 3:45 pace, finished in 4:27. Very satisfied since I had no aspirations of running this hard.  This was the first time I went into a marathon just wanting to finish and enjoy the event. Great views, great event. No stress nor anxiety. Loved it. Thanks for feedback.