Poconos marathon (Read 51 times)

mbk4566

Hi - new to the site and running the Poconos Run for the Red marathon in 2 weeks.  This will be only my 3rd marathon but really the 1st where I will be arriving at starting line with no lingering training injuries.  Hoping to run a BQ and based on my half times, training times, etc., I should have a shot.  My question is around the downhills for anyone who has run this (or similar) race - findmymarathon site says I should look to make up 30-45 seconds per mile during these miles.  Sound about right?  Other suggestions?  Thanks!

srussell

Hello,

The Pocono Run for the Red Marathon is a good choice for attempting a BQ. I myself have bettered my PR on that course 2 times. But, yes, I would not get too carried away on the downhills and run way under pace in the first half because in the second half, unless they've changed the course since I last ran it in 2014, there are some uphills that aren't too long or steep but will seem long and steep at that point in the race.

I think that the point I'm trying to make is don't run those downhills too hard and trash your quads in the first half because if you do you may regret it in the second half.