Children biking on the track? (Read 503 times)

kcam

To all of the apologists for the parents of those two children ....   They have a bicycle and a motor vehicle on a brand new track.  And I would bet dollars to donuts that whoever paid for that track would have put up a sign stating that those are prohibited.  Every new track or newly resurfaced track that I have seen has a sign similar to the one below.  The track I use in addition to the rules listed below also explicitly states that lanes 1 through 3 are not to be used for walking and/or jogging (however you define that) in order to extend the longevity of  the inside lanes.  Flagrantly violating the use rules of a public space invites others to do the same which will then result in the public use of that facility restricted.

xhristopher

... those two children .... 

FYI... I was only able to capture 2 kids in the photo but there were actually 7 kids on it. Same situation as what you see in shot, just on other parts of the track.

KerCan, what size schools are you near, and in what area?  Here in rural East Texas, at the 2A and 3A schools, the tracks are almost always open. 

Flower Mound High School is a 5A school with 3400 students (this is where my son graduated)

Marcus High School is also a 5A with about 3300 students (Deion Sander's son's school).

Lewisville High School is also a 5A with about 3300 students.

All 3 are part of LISD.

All 3 of these are within 5 miles of my house.

There are 3 feeder middle schools for each of these high schools, and I know of 5 of these middle schools specifically that all have gates around their football / track stadium.  The middle school stadiums are nice.

(I hate football.  Stupid sport.)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, it's hard to live in Texas if you hate football!

#artbydmcbride

Those kids should have the vehicles parked and they should be jogging in the outer lanes instead.   12 X 400m

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Flower Mound High School is a 5A school with 3400 students (this is where my son graduated)

Marcus High School is also a 5A with about 3300 students (Deion Sander's son's school).

Lewisville High School is also a 5A with about 3300 students.

All 3 are part of LISD.

All 3 of these are within 5 miles of my house.

There are 3 feeder middle schools for each of these high schools, and I know of 5 of these middle schools specifically that all have gates around their football / track stadium.  The middle school stadiums are nice.

(I hate football.  Stupid sport.)

Yeah, thought so...completely different facilities situation at those schools!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

drrbradford

When people did this on our track it caused it to crack and eventually get holes. Since it was a no longer a high school track, they didn't resurface it, they just plugged the holes. It ended up costing $14,000 just to plug the holes and that was only a two year solution. They are back again now. The surface wasn't designed to have rubber tires rolling over it.

I call bullshit. The track I used to train at was shared with a local bike club for disabled kids. They used it for years twice a week with all sorts of contraptions. The only damage was in lanes one and two.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Every track in the area bans any wheeled contrivances. No bikes, no strollers, no rollerblades, etc. The local park's paved trail also is restricted to walking and jogging. (I hope running is okay since I do run there.) Needless to say I not only see kids on bikes, I see adults ignoring the signs and riding their bikes there, too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Feeling the growl again

I call bullshit. The track I used to train at was shared with a local bike club for disabled kids. They used it for years twice a week with all sorts of contraptions. The only damage was in lanes one and two.

So they rode on the inside of the track primarily and that's where the damage was....not very surprising.  Also not surprising that disabled kids would not be as hard on the track as your typical adolescent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JPF

During the winter, I sometimes run on the small indoor track at the Y.  The weight room and all of the exercise machines are in the middle of the track, so people have to cross the track to do their workout. It's bad enough when people walk right in front of me while I'm running, but the people I REALLY don't get are the ones who stop ON the track and have a conversation with someone!  What the heck??  I have to run AROUND you?  I really can't believe how clueless people can be.

Yes!  Same thing for me.  For crossers, I just say as I go by "You're crossing an active track.  Look where you're going."  For the standers, I say "Get off the track!"  Still there next lap?  "You're still on the track!"  Next lap?  "You're STILL on the track!"  I'm sure they think I'm an a jerk, but it's actually a potentially serious thing to collide with somebody at high speed.  And, well, they are on the #$@% track!

BeeRunB

tracks should be for human runners, walkers and wheelchairs and that's it

Nope.  Our high school track has signs about bikes, strollers, etc.  If I bring my kids to the track with me, they're either running (and they do run) or playing on the infield.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

drrbradford

So they rode on the inside of the track primarily and that's where the damage was....not very surprising.  Also not surprising that disabled kids would not be as hard on the track as your typical adolescent.

My first post was unclear. Lanes one and two were where the running happened. The bikes were restricted from using those two lanes. Damage was caused by the millions of man-laps in spikes.

Village people

My first post was unclear. Lanes one and two were where the running happened. The bikes were restricted from using those two lanes. Damage was caused by the millions of man-laps in spikes.

There are no spikes or cleats allowed on our tracks. I have carried cleat wearing kids over the track to practice fields. The indoor track allows kids to ride bikes and scooters. They also hold an afterschool program.

drrbradford

There are no spikes or cleats allowed on our tracks. I have carried cleat wearing kids over the track to practice fields. The indoor track allows kids to ride bikes and scooters. They also hold an afterschool program.

Spikes not allowed on an athletics track? Wowzers. And I thought the Health & Safety Executive was a party-pooper.

Also, your avatar is attractive (except for the tiny black penis). If that's you: well done!