Asics Kayano 15 vs 2140 (Read 3310 times)

Slower half

I remember using the 2090s and 2110s a few years ago. I then went to the Kayano12s, Empires (no longer made) and the Kayano13s. I have heard the the Kayano14s have had some issues and got bad reviews. (I am a medium build, moderate overpronator) What are your opinions about the 2140s? They are so much cheaper than the Kayanos, I just wonder if there is such a big performance issue. Do any of you use both types? Do you see any real difference? Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Slower Half
      The difference between the Kayano and the 2140 is that the Kayano is a high cushion shoe and the 2140 is not. This doesn't mean the Kayano is better, it just has more padding to it, which increases the price. Some people like the extra cushion, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better thing, just different. If you can, I'd go to a store and try both on to see which feels better to you. The most important thing is how much you like the shoes, not how much the reviewer liked them.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The difference between the Kayano and the 2140 is that the Kayano is a high cushion shoe and the 2140 is not. This doesn't mean the Kayano is better, it just has more padding to it, which increases the price. Some people like the extra cushion, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily a better thing, just different.
        Spot on. Both shoes are made for the same type of runner (although some sites emphasize that the Kayano is more of a high mileage and/or heavier runner shoe. I have K14's and a pair of 2140's. The Kayano's are a luxury sedan to the 2140's family car. Both are good, but I personally prefer the robust cushioning of the Kayano.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Ditto on Jeff's post. The 21xx are nice, but I love my Kayanos.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Slo

I hated the Kayano's I'm one of those that don't need a stability shoe but can benefit from one. I keep a neutral shoe and a stability in the line up and alternate regulary. I found the Kayano's heavy and they lost thier bounce / coushing quite quickly. The 2100's(2110, 2120....2140) in my opinion have been the best stability shoe Asic's has made.
              FWIW, I couldn't justify the $140 price tag on the Kayanos, even though it felt like heaven on my feet. Thus, I tried the Mizuno Wave Inspire model and am on pair number 4 in the past year. Obviously not for everyone, but I didn't like the 2140's, the Inspires inspired me....(see what I did there?)
                I had 21XX for years and loved them, but my PT suggested a slightly more robust shoe and I went with the Kayanos (I'm a pretty severe overpronator, and I'm overweight). I've changed a lot of other factors, namely getting orthotics and really working on changing my gait, but those factors and the new shoes seem to be a winning combination. If you're only a moderate overpronator I can't think of why you'd need to spend the extra $ on kayanos (unless you really liked them).
                2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri
                  I have both, around 200 mi each. I like the Kayano 15s much better than the 2140s - better stability, cushioning, and fit. The 2140 is a tad lighter, but more narrow n the forefoot. I have 2E in both, but the 2140s feel like Ds. The Kayano 15s seem to be wearing better.
                    I hated the Kayano's I'm one of those that don't need a stability shoe but can benefit from one. I keep a neutral shoe and a stability in the line up and alternate regulary. I found the Kayano's heavy and they lost thier bounce / coushing quite quickly. The 2100's(2110, 2120....2140) in my opinion have been the best stability shoe Asic's has made.
                    ditto this. I was not impressed at all by my Kayanos.
                    Slower half

Thanks for all of your responses! They were very helpful. I decided to go with the Kayanos, mostly because I was able to get them at a reduced price. I used an online gift card and a discount code to get about $65 off of selling price. Otherwise, I may have gone with the 2140s. I may get the 2140s next time for comparison. That should be about 3 months from now. I just can't seem to get more than about 350 miles out of any shoes, although I have a friend with over 1200 miles on his Nike Free set. Go figure. I'd have my fourth pair in that time!! Thanks again. Slower Half
                        The Kayano's are a luxury sedan to the 2140's family car. Both are good, but I personally prefer the robust cushioning of the Kayano.
                        +1 I usually alternate Kayanos and GT21XX. I could not find a deal on Kayanos this cycle, so am test driving the Mizuno Wave. I miss my King Kayanos and may just get them next time. I do recall them conking out on me after about 300 miles.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus