running with diet plan (Read 824 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have been running for about 4 months now, and have at the same time following weight watchers diet. The thing is, is it advisable to follow WW whilst doing all the miles I have been? A lot of my friends say that I dont eat enough. Where can I find specific training diets which will still keep me losing weight but will complement my running regime?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My guess is that if you feel fine and your runs are going well AND you are losing weight that you are eating enough. I have the problem that cutting my calories also cuts into my ability to run well...and by "well" I mean anything faster than a 13 minute mile. Come join us in Jiggly Joggers for daily support. Today is weigh-in! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I lost some weight last year while running, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Blush If I cut calories too much it made a huge impact on my ability to run. If I wasn't eating enough I'd end up dragging (and walking) through my workouts. I was training for a half marathon at the time and as my mileage went up, I had to give up on the weight loss for awhile because I just couldn't do it. After the race the weight just came right off though. I used the program at www.sparkpeople.com. You input the number of calories that you burn every week and the amount of weight you are wanting to lose and they provide you with the proper calorie ranges to meet your goals. They also have a Nutrition Tracker that allows you to track your food intake, as well as any nutriets you want. There is a great group of people at Spark called the Rookie Runners. You can search for the Rookie Runners Spark Team or follow the link from my Spark Page. http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=TBARTON Teresa
        JakeKnight

Are you counting your exercise points? I've watched my better half lose 35 pounds on Weight Watchers and I'm pretty impressed. I know they give you extra points for exercise ... and if you're putting in serious mileage, you should use them.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Slow-smooth-fast

Are you counting your exercise points? I've watched my better half lose 35 pounds on Weight Watchers and I'm pretty impressed. I know they give you extra points for exercise ... and if you're putting in serious mileage, you should use them.
            Yeah I do use them, according to Weight Watchers you are allowed to use no more than 12 bonus points gainerd during exercise a day. I earn the equivalent of about 65 bonus points a week through running, so i eat the 12 bonus ones. It just seems that due to all the exercise I am doing I should be eating more, still it is working so I wont try to fix it. Anyone with specific plans for pre and post run food would be good.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Crystal

I don't know anything about WW but I do know that eating quality food is super important to me in order to maintatin my energy levels. I just started training for a marathon and was having some energy issues but I find whole wheat pasta, whole grains, fresh veggies and lean meats are my best bets when I eating for energy. I am not a very big eater so I eat about 6 to 8 times a day. I also take a multi vitamin every day on the advise of a personal trainer friend of mine. He also suggested that I focus on getting more protien but to watch out for those high sugar energy drinks. Hope that helps. Good luck with the running and the weight loss.
              RunningHammer

Anyone with specific plans for pre and post run food would be good.
                The latest edition of Runners World magazine (UK) has a good article about eating more while still losing weight and maintaining a diet suitable for running. I subscribe now, but i bought my first edition in a local Asda store so it should be available near you somewhere.
                JakeKnight

Yeah I do use them, according to Weight Watchers you are allowed to use no more than 12 bonus points gainerd during exercise a day. I earn the equivalent of about 65 bonus points a week through running, so i eat the 12 bonus ones. It just seems that due to all the exercise I am doing I should be eating more, still it is working so I wont try to fix it.
                  Eddy: This is my experience and opinion only, so take it as that. I think Weight Watchers is a brilliant idea - an easy way to learn healthy eating and portion control without counting every calorie. Of all the diet madness out there, if I was overweight, it would be the only thing I'd use. BUT ... it's really not designed for serious (or semi-serious) athletes, especially endurance athletes. And that arbitrary cut-off for additional points is the perfect example - obviously, if you were working with a coach/trainer, he'd be modifying your caloric intake depending on a lot of factors, including your mileage and training. It seems pretty clear that the WW "exercise points" are designed for someone exercising moderately - maybe half an hour, 3 times a week - to help them lose weight. They do not take into account someone running 30 or 40 or 50 miles per week. So it takes a little bit of tinkering to make it work. I'm currently cutting 15 pounds to get down to high school weight before a marathon in April, and I'm doing the WW thing (well, sort of ... I'm not exactly rigorous about it, and pretty much ignore it on weekends.) But since I'm running 40-50 miles per week along with lifting and other cross-training, I max out the "exercise points" just about every day - and I use every single on of them. If I tried to train that much on 22 points a day, plus that 12 exercise points a week, I'd either die, pass out, or - at best - see my training suffer. So the point of all the above is - you can use WW, I think, but you'll have to play with it, find the balance between weight management and getting enough calories for your training (and enough of the right calories). Just do NOT think you have to stick with their arbitrary guidelines for the number of exercise points - find what works for YOU. I'm currently eating something like 35 points a day, eating like a horse on weekends ... and I've dropped 5 pounds in 2 weeks (and there really wasn't much to lose, and I've probably gained 2-3 pound of muscle). So it WILL work. A final point, and it's important: be really careful about ANY sort of dieting and distance training combined. It can be dangerous. Most 'experts' tell first time marathoners not to even think about trying to cut weight while they train. Just don't overdo it. If you eat healthy and train hard, you'll reach your goal. And it looks like you don't have far to go, anyway. Good luck. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

mikeymike

One of the principle benefits of being runners is that we wind up knowing our bodies so much better than regular people--knowing the difference between the sniffles and an oncoming flu, between a stomach virus and something just not agreeing with us, between an ache and an injury, and also what our bodies need for fuel. And the longer you're at it, the better you get at it. I generally don't comment much on diet threads because I don't have much experience here. I've always just managed my weight on the demand side rather than on the supply side--if I'm putting on too much weight I run more. That pretty much takes care of it. But an interesting thing happens the more I run. I eat better. Eventually your body will tell you what it needs to handle the workload you're asking of it. And you get good at knowing what it's saying. Basically I agree with everything JK said about WW. A fantastic program for the average person who want to lose weight and learn healthy eating habits. But not designed for--and probably not super compatible with--fueling a long distance runner in training.

Runners run

va

Hi Eddy, I read in the other thread that you started:
                      Started: Nov 06 weighing 268lb...Now: I weigh 219lb...
                      You've lost 49 pouns in 9 weeks, over 5 lbs a week. This sounds like a lost to lose in such a short time. Most things I've read recommend weight loss between 1 and 2 pounds per week. It sounds like you're not getting enough calories. I am not a doctor, and I don't know what are the consequences of losing weight too quickly, but its something you may want to look into. Perhaps others can comment as well. Take care of yourself.
                        Eat all of your APs. Do not listen to that limit (which I haven't ever heard, but that's par for the WW course.) I'm not covering nearly the mileage you are, but WW can work with distance running. Just eat the APs and if that's not enough food then eat 1 point for every 50 kcals burned per your HRM. I lost almost 100 lbs on WW, use it for maintenance, and feel confident that the program can be tweaked to work for an athlete. Most marathoners/distance runners I see on it tinker with the APs to make it happen. If you take the new points quiz, it might help too, if you haven't already. It adds more points for men, but you might know that already.
                        2008 Goals
                      • Run 1250 miles
                      • Get down to 135!
                      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon

• Misinformation Officer

Just a note--Weight Watchers in the UK is not the same as in the US. (Sorry, I don't know about Canada or other English-speaking places.) The points, both earned and expended, are VERY different, as is the entire set-up of the plan. Nonetheless, it is a good guideline for making healthier choices than chips and cheese all day, every day!