I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie) (Read 1474 times)

Slice

You might have a problem if...

Anytime you see a runner, you want to run. Regardless of whether or not you've already put in your miles for the day.

You have put your safety at risk to get your "fix."

You have misled family to minimize the amount of time you spent running on a particular day.

The longer you have your habit the more you need to up the ante to get the same feel (faster races, more miles, better shoes/gear).

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

vegefrog

You have misled family to minimize the amount of time you spent running on a particular day.

eh...told my husband I was only going for a 9 mile run, when it was 12....I'm so slow the difference is 30 or more minutes and he was actually worried, LOL. He is on one of those "I ran cross country in HS and I can run a 5K in 16 minutes blah blah blah. I correct him, he USED to run a 5K in 16 minutes...and he says I'm stupid for running and marathons are bad for you, greek guy, blah blah blah.

So yeah...am I an addict? I do feel myself downgrading my miles to coworkers...to make them feel better for their 3 miles...

Feeling the growl again

Anytime you see a runner, you want to run. Regardless of whether or not you've already put in your miles for the day.

You have put your safety at risk to get your "fix."

The longer you have your habit the more you need to up the ante to get the same feel (faster races, more miles, better shoes/gear).

Yup.  It was all going so well until my wife saw my RA log.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

-You, and your wife, now think it's normal to go to the gym (or workout) multiple times per day, every day.

-You accept / decline business meetings around your desired workout schedule

-Your circle of friends (ie. Facebook) migrated from school, church, and local community people to an online running community

-You worry about the complications of travelling for business and the weather, treadmill, and local gym opportunities that may or may not work for your business trip

-Your reading interests changed from Grisham, King, and Clancy to Friel an only Friel

-You've considered doing something stupid, like an Ironman, because you think those "dudes" are nuts.

-You've signed up for that stupid Ironman, and now you think you're nuts, and other people that once considered you normal now think you're nuts.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Great song!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My wife will not look at my RA log.  She's afraid of what she might find.

My wife looked at these running logs and greatly worries that I am on that road.  I showed a couple of these to her to maybe convince her that I don't in fact run a lot, but that went in a completely different direction.

My wife looked at these running logs and greatly worries that I am on that road.  I showed a couple of these to her to maybe convince her that I don't in fact run a lot, but that went in a completely different direction.

Yeah... well peoples' ideas about what's reasonably depends a lot on perspective. I was trying to explain to somebody that I plan to try and get more doubles in - they were having serious difficulty with the idea of running every day, let alone running more than once a day...

Run Wild

Listen, I'm addicted to running, as well as biking, swimming and now rock climbing.  I don't think there is anything wrong with this.  Some people have addictive personalities and I am certainly one.  So, I could either be addicted to junk food and couch surfing (maybe even worse things) or I could be addicted to an active lifestyle.  I choose the latter!

Run Wild

and besides, people that can't or don't will always be critical of those of us that just do...  

Slice

-You've considered doing something stupid, like an Ironman, because you think those "dudes" are nuts.

-You've signed up for that stupid Ironman, and now you think you're nuts, and other people that once considered you normal now think you're nuts.

You do realize that the 5k is merely the gateway drug, right?

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Half Fanatic #846

I tried to quit after I first started 'cause I knew it was stupid and wrong, but I couldn't - not even with family trying to help me.  And just a 3K got me hooked (friends talked me into trying "just one").  But now it's even worse.  I try to justify it by telling myself there are other things that I do more - like eating, sleeping, and working - so I'll worry about running after I've stopped those other bad habits.  Wink  

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Yes, it must be, but since I'm such an addict, I have no idea how everything spiralled out of control.

My 1st 5k was 11/15/2008

That was 37 months ago.... I have no idea what has happened since then.

MTA: but, in the 8 or so years prior to my first 5k, I still ran alot... just NEVER raced, nor even considered racing.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

squirrelrunner31

You might have a problem if. . .

You tell your family you are going to the store but hit the trails again for  3.5 miles for your 3rd run of the day. . .

or

You call in sick because some old friends are coming into town for an awesome long run up to highest peak east of Mississippi (who could miss that!?)

or

You run at midnight in 34 degree rain because your day was consumed with kid's functions and other unavoidable activities. . . .

Why I ever introduced DW to this site is beyond me.