Bike Seats (Read 1669 times)

I'm going shopping! Anyone have any recommendations for a woman's bike seat? It's time for something new...the one I have is a gel, but it's really old andl so uncomfy that it prevents me from taking the bike out. I know you have to get "used" to it too, but just wondered if any brands might be better than others? Thanks! ~Joni~
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know when I look for a seat again that I want one of those with a big hole in the front. Maybe then I won't go numb "down there" 5 minutes into a ride... Terry seats are supposed to be very good, but pretty $$. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I know when I look for a seat again that I want one of those with a big hole in the front. Maybe then I won't go numb "down there" 5 minutes into a ride... Terry seats are supposed to be very good, but pretty $$. k
        I didn't know they made 'em with holes in the front....hmm. At this point in life, I don't care too much what it costs. If it's going to last and rank higher in the comfort department, it'd be worth it to me! did have any ideas? What would he buy you if you were going to get one today? Smile
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

did have any ideas? What would he buy you if you were going to get one today? Smile
          I'll have to ask him what he suggests. He's pretty happy with the basic saddle he has, but he has different "parts," LOL! I haven't really looked too much at saddles, I just know that the one I have doesn't suit me very well. I can't go very far at all before I get a seriously disconcerting lack of feeling in a spot where I don't particularly want to go numb. I'd be interested in something like this: click

~ Sarah Kay

I just know that the one I have doesn't suit me very well. I can't go very far at all before I get a seriously disconcerting lack of feeling in a spot where I don't particularly want to go numb. I'd be interested in something like this: click
            That looks interesting! I've only looked in your basic non-sport stores like Meijer, Target, etc. when I've been out, so haven't "really" looked yet. While you're asking him about the seat, (or maybe you know), can you ask him if he thinks it's worth it to take your bike into a shop for a "tune up"? I'm not sure what they do/ if it can just be done at home.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

can you ask him if he thinks it's worth it to take your bike into a shop for a "tune up"? I'm not sure what they do/ if it can just be done at home.
              Hey, he could probably do it for ya' for free! He does all of his own bike maintenance unless something is majorly wrong or needs replacing. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey, he could probably do it for ya' for free! He does all of his own bike maintenance unless something is majorly wrong or needs replacing. Smile k
                Well let me know what he thinks! I wouldn't mind paying him for his time or anything he needed to use for it. It'd be nice to have someone do it who I know. Maybe I could even learn something!! I think my bike needs a little help though, as the last time I took it out the gears seemed to shift a little hard and then I had to stop to put the chain back on when it came off one time (wasn't fun...probably operator error- it'd been years since I'd ridden it!)
                  I have this one on my bike now http://www.amazon.com/Terry-Womens-Butterfly-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B0000C838R it made all the difference in the world - my bike came with one of the selle italia ones and after long rides i'd be in so much pain.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have this one on my bike now http://www.amazon.com/Terry-Womens-Butterfly-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B0000C838R it made all the difference in the world - my bike came with one of the selle italia ones and after long rides i'd be in so much pain.
                    I was eyeballing that in a cycling catalog recently. Looks like a really comfy saddle. Joni, Derek would be more than happy to take a looksee at your bike and show you how to do a few simple things yourself, too. I hear you on the clumsy gears...my Schwinn mountain bike has always had less-than-smooth shifting. k

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Yep. My standard advice on bike saddles is: 1. Don't go too soft - smooshy saddles just transfer pressure from your sit bones to your soft bits. Firmer is generally more comfortable once you're used to it. 2. Get one from a good bike shop, one that will let you return it after a few rides if it doesn't seem to be working, and will help you get it adjusted properly. 3. It takes a while for your keister and the saddle to reach an agreement. Oooh, I'm all about fiddlin' with a bike - what is it, and how old is it? did

Yep. My standard advice on bike saddles is: 1. Don't go too soft - smooshy saddles just transfer pressure from your sit bones to your soft bits. Firmer is generally more comfortable once you're used to it. 2. Get one from a good bike shop, one that will let you return it after a few rides if it doesn't seem to be working, and will help you get it adjusted properly. 3. It takes a while for your keister and the saddle to reach an agreement. Oooh, I'm all about fiddlin' with a bike - what is it, and how old is it? did
                        Thanks Derek! I've got a 1990 21 speed Giant Iguana. Big grin I've sprayed the chain before (think that was supposed to clean it/ lube it all at the same time) and aired up the tires...but that's about as "mechanical" as I get! How to know if it needs/ how to adjust the brakes/ shifters is another story. I've loved this bike- it's just been a really long time since the poor thing's seen much daylight! We used to ride it on the beach (along the harder part of the sand where the water hits the shore), through the trails, and along the roads. If I switched the seat and "tuned it up" I think I'd be more inclined to take it out! (Maybe even get K out there with me a time or two!) MandyS, thanks so much for the tip, I really appreciate it! I'll have to look into those. Smile

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I'm guessing it's a mountain bike? Not that it matters - I've got pretty much all the doohickeys to work on that. After 17 years, it ought to have new brake and shift cables and housings, and probably brake pads, too - none of that's at all expensive. did

I'm guessing it's a mountain bike? Not that it matters - I've got pretty much all the doohickeys to work on that. After 17 years, it ought to have new brake and shift cables and housings, and probably brake pads, too - none of that's at all expensive. did
                            Yes, a mountain bike. Is it difficult/ time consuming to do all that?
                              Just take it to a bike shop. Most of the time if you buy the parts from them, they will put it on for free.
                              trimom

The Terry Butterfly is the best!!! It is pricey but totally worth it. My bike came with the Titanium version on it! I LOVE it! Most bike shops will have a few test seats you can try out before buying one. Terry has a guarantee, though, so there is no risk! I love my Terry! I can't say enough. Every women cyclist I know that has one loves it too! Kelli