3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Speed Surplus

Hey, I've been gone because I haven't been able to muster 30+ miles in a week (my arbitrary cutoff for whether I'm allowed to participate in this forum or not). Also, I've been unusually busy at work.

Well, just barely made the cutoff this week, so I'm back. Got a lot of catching up to do!

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
    Mon 7.3 8:27 Not sure how to categorize this one... Treadmill. Ez start, fast finish. 155 0 strava
    Tue 3.4 8:44 Easy recovery. Feeling good 140 87 strava
    Wed 6.0 8:19 Easy grind 140 236 strava
    Fri 5.3 8:41 Treadmill; not really feeling it 145 0 strava
    Sat 7.0 8:04 Nice day and nice run 147 239 strava
    Sun 3.5 8:35 I deserve a medal for going out in this weather... 150 220 strava
      32.5 8:26     782

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

oh and one more thing, maybe a bit philosophical ... what would you all do in this situation?
      i am probably in 3:15 shape. various calculators have me between 3:12-3:16, based on average 63mpw and a recent (rather subpar) HM of 1:32:20. my PR is 3:21:05. the harder we try to run our best possible race result on a given day, the more likely we are to overreach, struggle in the end, blow up a bit - correct?
      would you:
      1) "go for it" - my best possible race time on 12/3, and accept the higher risk of fade, blowup, not even PRing, etc.? (my PR is 4.5 years old. i was also in ~3:15 shape in the spring, it was Hot, it went poorly, i ran a 3:25.)
      or:
      2) run more conservatively - say, 3:17 pace - to ensure higher likelihood of a PR/sub3:20/whatever, while still having a chance of notching things down towards 3:15 in later miles if things are going well?

Familiar territory. CIM 2016 I was aiming for 3:12. A WEEK before the race someone commented on Strava (sub 3 local) I was in 3:15 shape. I'm sure Ilana remembers my plan to aim for it. This is where my "It's not richmond/Boston/Morgan hill etc." comment comes in. CIM isn't any of those races. What happened there, or didn't, doesn't matter for CIM. CIM is it's own race and needs to be treated/approached as such. Put all the previous races behind you and focus on CIM.

CIM 2015.

What I did in 2016.

200 miles in November 2016 with a 16 miler at 8:22 pace on November 13. Hanson training plan.

Pretty much aimed for it from the start. I decided I was going for it before I showed up Sunday. I wish I could pull my race review. At halfway I remember thinking something along the lines of "time to drop the hammer" as I made the left hand turn since I decided if I was feeling good I'd still go for it. Around 23 or 24 it became me vs the race. Suck up the pain and push. "Give me 15 minutes" went through my head over and over. I'm VERY confident in your ability to go (sub) 3:15 this year. The weather gods are smiling on you. #ripthatbitchup.

Oh, and I was always excited for Thanksgiving because it means the race is here, no more long runs and I get to take a break. I also quite drinking from Black Friday until race day. Unsure if it helps but I've PR'd CIM every time I've done it and I think I wore orange both times too.

As for running with weapons I'll just say if you have your car keys it's possible to use them as a weapon. Reach into your pocket and try and get a key between each finger. Use it to punch someone as needed. It probably isn't the easiest thing to do in a run but it's something every "woman's defense" course mentions as an option for protecting. I agree with the whole "activating pepper spray while in a run" might be the weirdest thing to do and I haven't encountered a single person who carries it who has actually practiced using it to know how it works (safety/unlocking, distance, realizing wind will blow it back in your face, etc). Just some advice.

ace: Congratulations. My wife had a dream DS was 9 lbs 2 oz, full of hair and came out talking.

arvind as others have said, listen to the advice here. dw's analysis of your race starting too fast is possible. I had a blow up for my first marathon doing the same thing.

max congratulations on the overall victory.

races Too many to keep up with. You folks are serious about your running.

kk hope all is well. I enjoy your parenting updates on the page of faces.

ME: meh, running has been minimal. I'll need to pick it up for Chicago if I'm serious about a 3:10 or faster race. Speed is going to be tough to get back. Wife is 39 weeks today. She's OVER being pregnant and just ready for the kid to come. Grandma comes to town and DW is hoping to deliver before so she doesn't have to tell grandma she isn't allowed in the delivery room (this could all change) and DW is afraid of how she will take it. I'm just expecting a phone call that she is at work (hospital) and I need to leave work. Her work put up a baby pool (date, weight. etc.) and her old boss said 12/12/17 (two weeks plus a day). I said 12/11/17 (day grandma leaves) but 11/29 would work for Optimus Prime. Honestly I'm not worried about anything at this point and I realize it would be a lot easier if he arrives to this world while grandma is here for two weeks. I'll probably tell people here before anyone else.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Elizabeth: thanks for posting that pic for me! Made me laugh.

Pesto: nice long run. Sounds like if there were more races/racers coming through you would've just kept going and going.  I too just started running the the Ghost and have enjoyed them once I got through the first few runs and adjusted to them. The weight to cushion balance is nice. Feels like a very solid, no frills, every day trainer for a variety of paces.

I bought the Hoka Tracers about 2 months ago, but have yet to run in them. They were on sale for $60 and thought I'd see how they felt. I initially didn't try them because I was heading into Columbus, but not sure why I haven't tried them since.

Arvind: recovering well?

Brew: I'm usually for dreams coming true, but I'm gonna hope your wife's doesn't.

My mom heads back home today, so we'll officially be "on our own" with 3 kids. However, this is only for about 24 hours, then my wife's family comes in town. We're lucky that both of us enjoy each others family.

About to head out for today's workout. Hey to everybody!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Arvind Balaraman

Got the message Loud and clear . I will try to pace my next marathon accordingly.

My goal for the next race is 3:15 to 3:18. Next race will most likely be Chicago (Oct 2018). What can I start doing from now to achieve my goal

arvind as others have said, listen to the advice here. dw's analysis of your race starting too fast is possible. I had a blow up for my first marathon doing the same thing.

Arvind Balaraman

Hearty congrats on your girl. She is adorable.

so far I am recovering well. pumped up to start training for my next marathon

Arvind: recovering well?

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I guess the tune-up 100k is a real thing. Sitting in the Raleigh airport waiting to fly home after two chaotic but mostly good weeks during which I spent 14 hours at home. Phone catch-up so brief. The reply box scrolling on this phone sucks. Wow, and editing is nearly impossible.

Jim's Kat: If you'll be happy with 3:17 I'd aim for that. If you're in better shape than that, it won't be a perfect race but it seems like it would be 99% of perfect and you can always run another. That NF50 course change is weird and a pita with start and finish in different places.

Headphones: I use them somewhat regularly but can hear and I also look over my shoulder at times. I don't think it's headphones, it's staying aware. Rules about headphones should be replaced with one that says "Be aware and courteous, not oblivious.". I've been stuck behind plenty of people without headphones who are chatting or on some other planet. Also, I was falling asleep once on a very steep hillside  even after 7 zillion mg of caffeine and music was the only thing that woke me up

Spray: I considered carrying it for Issy Alps (very real chance of meeting cougars - three attempts have ended due to cougar encounters) but chose not to after I read that some significant % of users spray themselves . Also, since one can lasts 7 seconds what happens if the cougar circles back for a second pass? I finally got Zen about it and decided it would either be my time or not. I didn't lie down on the trail for a dirt nap though..

this is one of those posts that will prompt Dad to say "there are so many things wrong here"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Got the message Loud and clear . I will try to pace my next marathon accordingly.

My goal for the next race is 3:15 to 3:18. Next race will most likely be Chicago (Oct 2018). What can I start doing from now to achieve my goal

I'll be there too.  I'd suggest starting with taking some time off to recover and enjoy not being in training mode. I'm going to personally start getting back into race shape starting in 2018 and probably pick a few races locally to gauge my fitness level. I'll be aiming for 3:07 or faster (3:05) to get a solid BQ for 2020.

Is there anything you did this training cycle you feel helped? Speed work? longer MP runs? longer weekends? More mileage?

The ONE thing I'd say, since I know NOTHING about your training cycle for your race is more marathon paced runs. After doing them weekly for CIM it built a lot of confidence going into the race and also helped me know how I should feel. After 8 miles of GMP for a month before race day it lets you really dial in and focus, at least for me, come race day.

Max Bear Spray > pepper spray. It is a little more user friendly and I've been told it creates a foam that sticks so it lasts longer.

I bet you know this guy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I also got two new pairs of shoes: Ghost 10 and adidas adios. I tried the adios on Friday and just could not keep the pace above 8 mpm. I did 4x1k after a 10k "warm up" and felt great (3:38-35-36-28). This is my first pair of "faster" shoes since I would mostly use wave riders for most of the racing before, so I can't believe how light they feel. On the other hand, I do feel the road a lot more in them. So, question: has anybody had any experience running marathons in them? And HM? Especially asking to taller / heavier men (size probably has an impact on how much the shoes can handle), but happy to hear any insights.

I'm not going to be that helpful, since I am most definitely NOT a taller/heavier man.

I use the Adios Boost 2 for track workouts, and for racing anything 10K and longer, including marathons.  I also run in the Adios Boost 3 (what you most likely have) - I don't like those quite as much as the Adios 2 - the 3 is a bit softer and more flexible, while the 2 is very stiff (I like a stiff hard shoe for racing).

I've run three marathons in the Adios Boost 2, and the shoe has felt great the entire race - no foot soreness or other issues.  But again, I'm small and light, with a very light and quick foot strike.  I use the Nike Free as my daily trainer for runs up to 12 miles in length, sometimes on concrete.  That tells you something about my stride and what shoe I can handle.

I would suggest running a 20 miler in them during your next cycle, with some miles at MP.  If you like the shoe at the end of that, you'll likely like it in your marathon.

7 miles easy today (8:58).  Opted to run outside and skip yoga and the pool so as not to contaminate others.  I don't feel awful, but still a bit run down.  Hopefully this clears by Thursday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

I have done a 10 miler in my old adios, and maybe one half but I personally wouldn't dare do anything longer.  I do a lot of concrete and even brick running so I feel achey in the joints on a regular basis so that has something to with it.  I've done all my marathons in trainers, and pretty much have to stop using theat pair once I do.

ace - you're supposed to slow play that prediction, talking a small PR and then come back and shock us.

my "cutback" week

M - 6 easy (8:00 did truly feel easy)

T - Track off the track 2 @ tempo that was more like 10k pace @ 6:22 some hills and extra, 8 total

W - 6 along the water easy

T - SRD (saw an author speak about old quack medicine, very worthwhile use of my time)

F - 7 medium - down in DC for work and took the opportunity to zip up and down Connecticut Ave

S - 7 medium on grass! Not a race but sorta race light effort once I got out there it was hard to pull back

S - 10 mostly easy in the same wind as the Philly folks - not contact but nasty when swirling and gusty

T - 44

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

DkW and PJ - thanks for the input on the adios! I like your idea DkW (so you did end up being very helpful). I was going to do a 20 miler during the cycle in them and see how they felt, but I do like the idea of throwing some MP miles in there as well. PJ, I did have some annoyance (I wouldn't call it pain) on my knee at the beginning of my first run in them, but it went away after a few miles. I'm hoping it was just adapting to a new shoe that is very different from the ones I've run in before. I'll probably use them for a HM during the cycle too and see how they feel.

ace - I actually ran my first race ever (a HM) in the ghost 7. For some reason, I just kept trying different shoes and never went back to them. I forgot I really liked them. Like you say, they have a good balance between cushion and weight. While the wave riders feel a little lighter, I find them a tad bit on the hard side for a trainer. I was also curious about the kinvaras as racers, which you've mentioned before. I may give them a try if the adios don't work out.

SC - nice week, good to see you here!

brew - good luck with the last week! I'd put my money on 12.5.17, just because 12+5=17. But I definitely hope it's earlier.

arv - glad to hear recovery is going well. You still have a looong way to Chicago 2018, so I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. FWIW, I have been trying to keep a decent mileage (30-50 miles per week if possible), including one day of speedwork. But I am starting a new cycle in a few weeks. In your case, you seem to already be keeping a very good volume even a week after the marathon, with 41 miles and a HM. Just make sure you don't over do it for now. Some reduction or a break may help, like brew suggests.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Pesto I LIKE IT!

VDOT 53.37 

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Katia: Wow, that is literally "close to home" for an attack. That's amazing that the woman was able to fight back! Glad to hear the run went well. As for staying safe, I run through residential neighborhoods that are well lit in the suburbs. If it's dark, I have a headlight. Also, I run with my husband about 75% of the time. Regarding the pepper spray, I agree with Darkwave about it being difficult to use. I wouldn't mind carrying it, though, in case a dog started to attack. I am more afraid of being attacked by a dog while running than a person. There are a few dogs that have invisible fences that are aggressive, and if those dogs are out, I have to modify my route.

Ace: Cute baby!  She will be destined for sub 3:20! That's awesome you were still able to get your workout in! And ahhhh-- a 5K in the 17's would be AceMazing!

Commander: Sorry to hear about the cold. 8 Days sounds like it really hit you hard. I like your approach to the HM of focusing on having fun! It's great when you are in that fun race environment but not feeling the race pain!

Ilana: That's so col about your ski resort. Even though I would have zero desire to ski or mountain bike, it sounds cool for those who enjoy that.

Jim E:  That's really awesome that you were able to help someone PR in the half. Sorry to hear about the knee. I wish I had some advice for you but it sounds like you are doing all the right things.

RLK: I think that judging it based on how you feel is a good thing. Typically 2 weeks out I am so fit that a 22 miler is pretty easy, as long as I don't try to make it my fastest long run ever! But it's always better to err on the side of caution when the race is so close. A 16 on trails and hills can be tougher than a 20  on flat pavement so it sounds like you will get in a good workout. (Or "got" a good workout - I am late reading your post so now it's probably done.)  As for your other question, my vote is for you to pace for a 3:17 for the first half and then if you are feeling good, speed up at the halfway point (gradually). And if something does go wrong, at least you won't be blaming yourself for going out to fast. I just had a big bonk at my marathon, but I'm not regretting going out too fast. My first 10K averaged a pace of 7:33 (3:18) when in reality I was shooting for a 3:16, which was in line with all the calculators and my coach's assessment.

Dad4J: Congrats on your XC race. 9th overall is impressive, especially considering you were the first person over 22 to finish.

Runner Jones: Totally agree on the headphones. I used to wear them while running outside, but recognized how dangerous this was about 4 years ago. I also don't race with headphones, so it makes sense not to train with them. But on a treadmill - they are a must!

Climber: Cool about the coach!

Rovatti: Fantastic week. I'm always impressed by runners who can do 10 the day after a long run.

Darkwave: Nice week for you. Sorry to hear about the throat. Are you running the Alexandria Turkey Trot or the SOME 5K? Or a different one? I will be running my 12th consecutive Virginia Run 5K. I'd have to be on my death bed to not run it, and even at that I would want to be wheeled. It's my longest standing running tradition. Greg is on year 9.

Pesto: Wowsers! That's amazing about the half marathon/MP run for you and helping others to PR. I haven't worn either of those shoes, but I love my Adidas Adizero Tempo for racing.

Arvind: It's truly a miracle that you were able to run a half so quickly after your full. I'm lucky if I can run 5 miles at a snail's pace the following weekend. How did you manage to recover so quickly!?

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Here's a quick recap of me:

Saturday: Tried running for the first time in 2 weeks. Everything felt stiff and achey. Achilles (which had been 100%) flared up. Not happy.

Sunday: Went pool running. I had lost my belt so I learned to go without it. This involved 7 x 4 minutes of belt-less running, with the last 30 seconds of each at an even harder effort. 1-minute recoveries in between. Meanwhile, the Achilles had calmed down entirely.

Monday: My coach told me to run because he thought the Achilles were just stiff from not having run in two weeks. He told me to do 10 x 30 seconds strides in the middle of my easy run. I did 8 of them to be cautious at around a 7:00-7:30 pace. Everything felt good. What a relief.

Tuesday: Achilles continue to be 100% pain free. I went for a 40-minute easy run, but my legs felt like they were at mile 20 of a marathon. Not sure if it was from the vigorous pool running on Sunday, or the strides on Monday. Kinda worried for the Turkey Trot since my legs feel tired and sore all over. I took an Epsom salt bath afterwards and spent 10 minutes foam rolling.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

AceHarris

pepperjack: you're right! My new goal is 18:28. There's no way I could even think of running in the 17s.

pesto: I ran the columbus marathon in Kinvaras. No foot issues, but we also know how that race went, so...

elizabeth: glad to hear the achilles is improving. What are you aiming for at the 5k?

Dwave: goal for your 5k as well?

brew: it's almost time?!?  Those deer in your strava post looked awfully chill for walking through a neighborhood.

Anybody else running a turkey trot?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Pesto

ace - no turkey trot here, but I want to do a 5 k soon and there's one in 2 weeks. Following your new approach, I'll be aiming for a sub 20 Wink

e78 - glad to hear the achilles is feeling better, I'm sure the legs will come back soon.

max - congrats on the first OA, that's great! I just saw it on strava (and a previous post form brew).

brew - the 7th would also be interesting. a) 12.07 have the same digits as 2017, and b) in latin countries we write the day first and the month after on dates, so it would be 7.12.17, which are equidistant. Ok, that's enough geek for today. Despite all this, I do hope you and DW don't have to wait that long!

Me - yesterday I found out that two RBs from the club at work are planning on running Botswana in 2019. So, another reason (on top of meeting some of you!) to run it. I have a lot of negotiating to do at home, but I'm seriously considering it.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)