How to finish first and still lose two races at once (Read 711 times)

rlemert

We had a local marathon yesterday, and apparently there was a little confusion: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1279622.html (The first place finisher was actually entered in the half but missed the split where the half runners separated from those running the full course. Even though he crossed the finish line first he was disqualified.)
    mikeymike

Bittersweet victory for John Crews, who was declared the winner. Because to be beaten by a guy who only ran your race accidentally is to be utterly owned by him. Still the $1,300 winning purse will soften the blow.

Runners run

"He just kept going because there was no where to go," Ben Kurgat said. "He just followed the vehicle home."
        This one might be even stranger than the problem caused by the separate elite start, this guy DID cross first. The rules are very clear that it's a disqualification, but it still doesn't seem right.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

#artbydmcbride

Can he do a retroactive registration and pay the whole fee for the full after he's done running? Smile http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1279622.html

Runners run

Future running partner.

It's funny reading this because I finished the race just after they announced the overall winner. I saw Crews with the big check and congratulated him. I feel like I might of pored salt on the wound. Black eye
            theyapper

On the road again...

His mistake wasn't missing the turn. It was being from Chapel Hill and running in Raleigh. Probably some Wolfpack fan hid the arrows! Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Not a bad race for someone who had never run a marathon before and was only going out to do the half. Interestingly enough, I'd say he might have known he was DQ'd, but to keep running that fast...
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I ran that half marathon yesterday. It was a fantastic event on a beautiful day. I was absolutely shocked to see someone do a sub 2:20 on that course! Remember, this is a very hilly marathon and a large portion of it is run on TRAILS! When Nicholas Kurgat finished we were all in shock. We could not believe that someone could run that course that fast! We all said “this kid has just vaulted himself onto the National(if not international scene)”. Then we find out he got disqualified. That was even more unbelievable. When I got to the half turn around point it was so very clearly marked that you could not have missed it no matter what. However, I talked to a volunteer who worked the turn around and he said that when the leaders of both the half and full came through they hadn’t even put out the cones or anything. He said the cop just kept driving and all of the runners just followed him. They got the turn around setup quickly after that but the damage had been done. Overall, I loved the race. However, it is one of the most disorganized events there is. They didn’t call a single split for the entire race I ran. They didn’t even have CLOCKS anywhere on the course. They had every mile marked. However, each mile marker except for 13 and 26 was off by more than 100 yards! They also did not stop traffic sufficiently and several people were nearly run over right in front of me. There is one person to blame for what happened at the race yesterday(He is the one seen clapping in the picture of Kurgat) and hopefully he will correct the problems for next year. It truly is a fascinating course. It is just not well organized at all.
                  JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

His mistake wasn't missing the turn. It was being from Chapel Hill and running in Raleigh. Probably some Wolfpack fan hid the arrows! Big grin
                    As a matter of fact "the volunteer was a wolf pack fan I believe".
                      Wow. At least it was a huge personal victory for Kurgat.
                      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Wow. At least it was a huge personal victory for Kurgat.
                        “Personal victory” won’t replace the $1400 prize money he is out, the Olympic qualifying marathon time that was ripped from his resume, or the many $s he could have possibly received in sponsorship. I looked at the marathon split times and the half split times. It looks like the marathon leaders went past the half marathon turn around about 1-2 minutes after the half leaders. Hopefully, that was enough time for the volunteers to get the cones out. Otherwise, Jim owes somebody $1400 of his own money and at least some sponsorship!
                        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

It looks like the third place runner was also disqualified. I have a video showing two runners finishing within 1 second of each other for 2nd and 3rd. However, the final results show that they 1st and 2nd place runners were many minutes apart! How can that happen to two runners if the cones were actually setup properly? My guess is that they were not setup at all.
                            “Personal victory” won’t replace the $1400 prize money he is out, the Olympic qualifying marathon time that was ripped from his resume, or the many $s he could have possibly received in sponsorship. I looked at the marathon split times and the half split times. It looks like the marathon leaders went past the half marathon turn around about 1-2 minutes after the half leaders. Hopefully, that was enough time for the volunteers to get the cones out. Otherwise, Jim owes somebody $1400 of his own money and at least some sponsorship!
                            Yeah. Its crap really. The race director dropped the ball. The guy will be back on the racing scene if he's that talented, though.