Hanson's plan thoughts (Read 134 times)

bioguy

Hi

61, soon to be 62 year old who started running in 9th grade. I've been training for the  JFK 50 which is rapidly approaching. I want to run a decent April marathon and was curious about the Hanson's plan since there is a lot of faster paced runs and with all the ultra training I feel my leg turnover has suffered as has my overall pace.

Any thoughts yea or nay on using Hanson's for a marathon?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've used Hanson's Advanced a few times for marathons with success. I think for a flat 50k like JFK (isn't most of that runnable?) it would be just fine. My library had a copy I could check out for free, and I ended up buying the book so I could read the entire thing. The training plan allows for modifications, and it's possible to probably get 80 miles a week pretty easily while still following their guidelines for the training plan.

For the last 8 weeks or so you're running about 13 miles on Tuesday, and again on Thursday with anything from 10-16 on Saturday. In the past I was doing 16 miles (the longest run the training plan lists) every weekend because I don't usually like the time commitment a 20 miler requires.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

MoBramExam

I used it for HM training when in my 50s. Found it difficult to recover from all the faster pace workouts at first. Did much better when running speed, strength, and tempo workouts on feel using perceived effort rather than pushing to hit goal pace day in and day out. With all your ultra training volume in the mix, this may be an idea to consider if you go forward with Hanson?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've had a lot of success with the Hansons HM plan.  I used it for my most recent marathon and felt it prepared me well.  The workouts can be hard, but if you follow the pacing advice I don't think the plan ever asks you to do something you cannot do.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Linda

I started using Hansons in my late 40's. I'm in my early 50's now. I have had a lot of success with Hansons, but also a lot of injuries. I'm running a marathon next week, using a Hansons plan that I modified to give myself more recovery. Basically the modification was to run my easy paced runs and long runs very slowly...much slower than Hansons recommends in the book. Even though people say that you can't run your easy runs too slowly, Hansons specifically cautions against it in the book, so that is a pretty significant modification to how I had been training. I also lengthened the last few long runs. I ran two 20 milers and an 18. It doesn't seem like this thread is active, so maybe you've figured out what you want to do, but I'm happy to update after that marathon, next week, if you are still interested.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I started using Hansons in my late 40's. I'm in my early 50's now. I have had a lot of success with Hansons, but also a lot of injuries. I'm running a marathon next week, using a Hansons plan that I modified to give myself more recovery. Basically the modification was to run my easy paced runs and long runs very slowly...much slower than Hansons recommends in the book. Even though people say that you can't run your easy runs too slowly, Hansons specifically cautions against it in the book, so that is a pretty significant modification to how I had been training. I also lengthened the last few long runs. I ran two 20 milers and an 18. It doesn't seem like this thread is active, so maybe you've figured out what you want to do, but I'm happy to update after that marathon, next week, if you are still interested.

Nothing wrong with customizing a plan to fit your needs.  Did you add the 20's and the 18 more recently, or were they always part of your plan?

I'm trying to decide how to modify the HM plan.  Basically, I was to start the 18-week plan today (well, Thursday) for a half in early April, but now I want to target a half 3 weeks earlier.  Since I can't start any sooner, I have to cut 3 weeks out of the plan. Cutting week 1 is a no-brainer, since it's just a few short, easy runs.  After that, I'm thinking of cutting week 2 with the 12 x 400 workout.  I'm not sure where to cut the third week.  I don't want to take out any more of the speed runs, so which of the strength run weeks should I drop?

Linda

Nothing wrong with customizing a plan to fit your needs.  Did you add the 20's and the 18 more recently, or were they always part of your plan?

I'm trying to decide how to modify the HM plan.  Basically, I was to start the 18-week plan today (well, Thursday) for a half in early April, but now I want to target a half 3 weeks earlier.  Since I can't start any sooner, I have to cut 3 weeks out of the plan. Cutting week 1 is a no-brainer, since it's just a few short, easy runs.  After that, I'm thinking of cutting week 2 with the 12 x 400 workout.  I'm not sure where to cut the third week.  I don't want to take out any more of the speed runs, so which of the strength run weeks should I drop?

I followed Hansons marathon plan to the letter for years. All my modifications were done for this training cycle. Hansons is hard work. Post Covid, I knew I could not run as I had in the past. I just wasn't in good enough shape. I posted an overview of the entire training at https://rrrtraininglog.blogspot.com/2021/12/cim-2021-training-summary.html I also posted an RR for the marathon here.

I had so much success with Hansons marathon plan that I was willing to tweek it, but honestly I hated Hansons half plan. It was just too much for me. Maybe my goal was too ambitious, but it broke my will trying to meet those paces week after week. As an answer to you question, I'd dump another speed week. Your strength work at -10HMP is fast enough, I promise.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Running Problem

Problem Child

Honestly, I’d just pick a random week in the middle of training and cut it out. If their half marathon training is anything like their marathon training the speed work just builds on itself. I’d keep the longest speed workout and cut something before or after it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I decided to drop the speed work ladder workout.  I never liked that one as it just didn't fit with the rest of the weeks in terms of distance run at speed effort.

I've had a lot of success with the Hansons HM method.  I ran my first half at age 49 and six years later am still seeing improvement in my times.  That said, no training plan is for everyone.  I've heard it said that the best training plan is one you like and can stick to.

an amazing likeness

Although it started as a comparison of Hansons vs. Pfitzinger...this RA topic from a few years ago has some good insights and thoughts on Hanson plans.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Although it started as a comparison of Hansons vs. Pfitzinger...this RA topic from a few years ago has some good insights and thoughts on Hanson plans.

If “a few years ago” means 9, you might be old.  That was way back when Bob was running marathons! 

Incidentally way BITD I read that thread all the way through, when I was trying to make that decision. Ended up going with Hansons, but switched to Pfitz after a couple cycles, and then after a few of those stopped using both. 

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've thought about moving away from Hansons but right now one of the things I've heard some people complain about with regard to Hansons - its somewhat tedious structure - is exactly what I need.  With so many things changing almost daily, I welcome the structure of knowing that if it's Tuesday I'm going to the track.  The fact that I'm still seeing improvement is icing on the cake right now.

I've thought about moving away from Hansons but right now one of the things I've heard some people complain about with regard to Hansons - its somewhat tedious structure - is exactly what I need.  With so many things changing almost daily, I welcome the structure of knowing that if it's Tuesday I'm going to the track.  The fact that I'm still seeing improvement is icing on the cake right now.

Honestly anyone who can't handle a high level of tedium has probably picked the wrong hobby.

Dave

an amazing likeness

DavePNW...charitably, I choose to believe you were searching for 'long tenured'.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Honestly anyone who can't handle a high level of tedium has probably picked the wrong hobby.

When I was younger, it was "tedium" that kept me from running.  In middle age, however, I find running is not tedious so much as it is peaceful.  Yes, I sometimes tire of my regular routes, but even then when I'm running it's just me.  Nobody is asking me for anything and I'm not relying on anyone to provide something.

As a runner not on the faster end of the spectrum, I take to heart Hansons' point about the long run being limited by time, not necessarily distance.  Even a 16 mile run is going to take me over 2½ hours so why risk injury on a 3+ hour 20 mile run, especially if I'm not getting a training benefit past the first two hours or so?  I recognize there may be a psychological/confidence component to running 20 miles, especially for those who have not done it often.  I've run 3 marathons.  When I run my fourth, I'll likely use the Hansons plan.  In the meantime, I'm sticking with their HM plan for my spring halves and will probably use it for fall races as well.