Sub 2:45 Full (Read 235 times)

jonesie022

Got the itch last fall to run a marathon just to check it off the bucket list.  Set a conservative goal of breaking 3 hours.  Ran fairly conservatively early and ended up at 2:53 and change (1:28/1:25).

Heading to run Columbus in 9 weeks with the conservative goal of breaking 2:50 but wondering if I can give 2:45 a legitimate shot.

Running about 60-65 miles a week right now.  Have done TWO 20 milers at about 7:10 pace and just ran 16:59 for 5k (first time ever under 17 minutes) a month ago (on a track).

Hitting my tempo runs at just over 6 minute pace and have done 45 minutes as my longest thus far.  Hitting my marathon pace runs at about 6:20-25 and have maxed out at 9 miles on those.

Times I have run in the past few months at various distances...

5k:  16:59

10k:  35:33

Half:  1:19:47

I think I over think things and almost run TOO conservative early anticipating the bonk.  This is only my second marathon, but no matter the distance, I rarely ever "die", just afraid to pull the trigger sometimes I guess.

Any workout suggestions/training advice?

mikeymike

My two cents is that 2:45 is a tad too aggressive for you. It's not out of the question, but it's a low probability and going for it would dramatically increase your chances of a complete blow up. I would stick with the sub 2:50 goal.

Everyone is different but it took everything I had to break 2:50 on a fairly flat course in good weather when I had very similar times to yours for 5k, 10k, HM and was running higher mileage (70-80mpw). Look at August/September of 2008 in the calendar view of my log if you want to see what I was doing.

With 9 weeks to go your best bang for the buck workouts will be longer marathon pace runs and long runs with fast finish (faster than MP.)

Runners run

You're close.  Our 5k and 10k PRs are the same but my half was a little quicker.

I'm a lower mileage runner: typically 50-55 mpw.  I never did marathon pace workouts in a long run probably because I'm a wimp.  The long run by itself seems hard enough for me.  My marathon pace would be done on Saturdays.  2 mile warm up with 10 miles at marathon pace (6:20 ish).  Then the normal 20 mile long run at 7:30 pace on Sundays.  I would only do about 3 of those marathon pace workouts in the build up.

If I could hit the marathon paces and still do the long run while feeling decent the next day, I knew I was ready for a sub 2:50.  Unfortunately, I was only able to do it once on race day.  My PR marathon splits were 1:23:00 / 1:23:54.  I had 7 other marathons from 2:51 to 2:59.

Feeling the growl again

If your HM is representative of your fitness, I concur that 2:45 is unlikely as it's basically HM X 2 + 5 minutes.  You would need to be a high level, high mileage runner to look at that as a realistic goal.  But I think your 2:50 goal is a really good one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

madisonrunner

I agree 2:50 seems more realistic than 2:45 based on your times/training.  Why not race Columbus with the goal of sub 2:50, then do a December marathon like CIM a few months later?  If you break 2:50 and feel good at Columbus, then go after 2:45.  If you have a bad race then you have another shot at 2:50.