Weight and Speed (Read 1298 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Simple: post your weight, and your current PB for a mile, or2 or 5k or 10k. Will be interested to see how this correlates. My last mile time trial was 5:52;weight of 190lb I am lighter now so will be testing myself soon.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

afx38

I'm pretty new and I look forward to more improvement. Because of the intervals I run/walk at last night was my fastest mile ever. 18:01 347 lbs *Update - All running mile in 16:40 at 335 lbs
      va

Hi afx, Welcome! FYI, if you're interested, there a group for runners trying to lose weight. Good luck!

I weigh around 142 (I weigh myself daily, and am usually between 138-145) Not sure what my mile PR is, high 4 teens, but right now I could run around 4:30-4:38 is my guess (4:38 being my latest mile time last year) 5k: 16:07 or 16:09 PR on an indoor track in college, 16:23 on roads last year. My goal is to run a 50k on Sunday, and then break 16 on Sept 29. We'll see how that goes... 8k: 27:09 (cross country - college), 27:50 roads (recent) 10k: 32:30 in college, 34:40 last year, 34:58 this year. Marathon: 2:51:37 last year. Aiming for sub-2:40 in October. 50k: I'll let you know on Sunday. I've never raced this far before...

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

i don't see why different people's weight and speed would correlate at all? your own weight and speed should though (ie if you get lighter you'll get quicker). 136lbs - 5k PB 23:44, 10k PB 49:38

Why is it sideways?

Height seems like an important variable, too. Run a lot, stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup, and the weight will take care of itself. Blaine--good luck with the 50k-5k double. Is the 50k on trails? It will be interesting to see if you can sharpen up in three weeks. I'm in great ultra shape right now (I hope), but the worst 5k shape of my life.
                In the past year and a half I've gone from 146 to 128, and my race times in all distances have improved...the biggest improvement being in the marathon--from 4:05 to 3:42 (well, there is a lot more distance there to improve upon Smile). My 5k has improved from 25:45 to 23:05. How does height have an impact on speed? Not that I can change my height...

Why is it sideways?

Well, just that if you are 6' and 140lbs, then you've got a lot less on you than if you are 5'6" and 140lbs (which by the way are my measurements). My weight (and height) have not changed from when I was running my all-time PR's (3:59 1500, 15:09 5k, 25:10 8k) about 8 years ago. This year I ran a 2:38 marathon--but I'm nowhere close to those times over shorter distances.

Wally & Leela

I am 5'9" and weigh 182 My fastest mile is 8:05 My best 5k is 26:10

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Now that was a bath...

I think that these are tough results to analyze. Even if you hadn't lost weight you could have still improved just by training. How will you tell how much of your improvement is from weight loss? I'm too new to this game for my answers to be useful. Just curious as to how you think this data will help you! Modified to say "Hi Jeff"
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Slow-smooth-fast

Im not wanting to get technical here, I just like numbers and data. It is just that I have found that as I have lost weight, I have become quicker. Obviously the factor that I am training more is a factor, but my advancements are to the point where weight loss must be a huge contributory factor. I am currently 12lbs below my weight watchers goal, but I am going to keep going until I weigh an optimum – unitl I see my times getting worse, then I will know that I have peaked.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

There are a couple calculators out there that will let you estimate speed given a certain weight gain or loss. The nut of it is that you will go approx. 2 sec per min/mile faster for each pound lost. There was an article that discussed this in Runner's World this summer (July issue maybe). One or more of the articles suggested that a BMI of 18.5 was the lower limit of healthy weight and where the speed gains would stop. You can have a look in the Jiggly Joggers group for a discussion we had on this two or three months ago.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This site shows the calculated effect of weight loss on racing time. Naturally, less is more when it comes to speed, but it is unhealthy to go too low.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

Modified to say "Hi Jeff"
                              Hi Claire! Didn't see this greeting until now. I hear you are still injured but have been updated to "injured with knowledge of why." Congrats. Sorry about the hijack; carry on.

Now that was a bath...

Well until we get the privilege of private messaging hijacking will have to be the way of the world!!! Yeah I managed a measly 260 miles this year and I fear that I may be forced to be sensible next year too so I will have to suffice with being the home page poster girl for the 2000 mile club for a while. Good to have a diagnosis though and crutches are a small sacrifice if it gets me better. I see that you are doing awesome as ever! Worshiping you as I type. And yes, I did try and Google your last philosopher. Unfortunately Kooky has the patience of a child with ADHD so I never found my answer. I can only assume that they are still philosophers? For all I know, they may now be 'Sporting Legends from the Biblical Years'?
                              • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                              • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.