Best balaclava? (Read 1536 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Buffs...that's what I was thinking of! Man, I should order one NOW. They are predicting coldest temps of the year next week...coldest temps I will ever have run in (-20-30 windchills, IIRC).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Well, crap...I got at least 20-30 years before I can grow one of those... Tongue
      Nuh uh. Bearded Balaclava

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

MrH

Nuh uh. Bearded Balaclava
        Do they have a wicking version of that? Big grin

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Buffs...that's what I was thinking of! Man, I should order one NOW. They are predicting coldest temps of the year next week...coldest temps I will ever have run in (-20-30 windchills, IIRC).
          I ordered mine Sunday online and it arrived today. I think it will make a great neck cover and great head wrap...didn't so much work as a balaclava on me, too small or thin or something (I couldn't quite make it work with my hair/ponytail). I haven't tried it yet on a run...will tomorrow! I can definitely see it being useful to wear around the neck and pull up over the face when necessary!

A Saucy Wench

I ordered mine Sunday online and it arrived today. I think it will make a great neck cover and great head wrap...didn't so much work as a balaclava on me, too small or thin or something (I couldn't quite make it work with my hair/ponytail). I haven't tried it yet on a run...will tomorrow! I can definitely see it being useful to wear around the neck and pull up over the face when necessary!
            Knifey - I still wear a hat when I wear the buff as a balaclava, you dont get the forehead covering

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I use a silk one under my motorcycle helmet. A couple times when it was very cold I found it a lot warmer to run in and more comfortable than my fleece one. I picked it up at REI
              You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here
                I run outdoors year round up here in Toronto and so far I've managed to get by with just a thin layer of petroleum jelly on my face. You still feel the cold somewhat, but you feel absolutely no wind at all. Plus, it doesn't interfere with your breathing at all. The downside, aside from appearing oddly shiny, is that when you sweat it beads up on top of the petroleum jelly and freezes. Then, if it's snowing the snow will actually stick to the frozen sweat and by the time you get home you've got this funky ice beard thing going. But that's only happened one or two times.
                And who am I anyway?
                Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                Buzz-

I wear a Seirus Hoodz. I like it better than anything else I've tried. It is a fleece hood. You can adjust it to get the right amount of venting. I like that it keeps my neck warm, especially in the back. By the end of the run, I've usually pulled it back and am just using it as a neck warmer. http://www.rei.com/product/725706