Big toe pain...what is it? (Read 132 times)

XCrunner5

Hi guys. About 3 months ago after a 3.5 week break after my first collegiate XC season, I came back the first day and ran 8 miles in semi-old shoes. A mile left with the run, I got very bad pain across the top of my foot. A few weeks after, with only a few days of running until the pain came back, the pain had localized in my big toe/joint area. I thought the pain originally came on because two days in a row before running the 8 miles I walked around in high heel wedges a lot. Did walking in the city in those heels so my toe was probably put under a lot of pressure.

After some treatment and using a "steel toe" insole while doing regular walking, the pain went away. Now, almost 3.5 months later, the pain has come back and I haven't been running at all...only elliptical, walking, daily movements, etc.

What could this be?

I've tried to do some research...turf toe? Arthritis? I don't feel it is extensor tendonitis because the pain is only this weird sensation in my big toe, kind of like in the joint, sometimes underneath...????

Anyone have suggestions?

My best suggestion is go to your school's athletic trainer.  Hopefully you have a good one.  The expertise of the trainer, together with the ability to do hands on tests will probably get you better information than what you can get from an on-line discussion.  Aside from that I can't say that I or anyone I know has had similar symptoms.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could be hallux limitus (sp?).  That runs in my DH's family and he just had extensive surgery to correct it and a ginormous bunion.  They essentially had to cut off his big toe, shave off some bone, and reattach it.  His mom had a similar surgery, but was already 65 or so and between that and knee surgery gave up on running, but I think as much due to age as anything.

DH is actually considering maybe doing some running, again.  He's been a crazy avid cyclist for about a decade, but was a runner in HS and college.  Part of his switch to cycling was due to the toe issues -- they nagged him for a long time, increasingly worsening until he needed surgery to not be in pain just walking.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maybe unlikely, but here's another possibility...pain in the joint of the big toe is one of the main symptoms of gout.

akshayv

I stand on a 2x2 square of concrete for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week.... my feet hurt so bad I couldn't even rub them. Upon getting out of bed, I would have to grab dressers and hug the walls because it was too painful to stand up and put even minimal pressure on them. I've been through chiropractic care, acupressure, custom orthotics and more gadgets than I care to mention, nothing ever worked. So I admit, I was very sceptical about spending so much money on a pair of shoes, but I finally gave in......and I am soooooo glad that I did!! I've been wearing my Kinetics for 2 months solid and I cannot believe the difference! My feet and legs no longer ache throughout the night, and I can jump out of bed with both feet. I'm even able to exercise again. These shoes are miraculous, to say the least! I loved them so much, I bought a pair of the Orthofeet just for kickin around in. I also got a pair of your flip flops for my vacation in the Keys. Wearing these shoes is like walking on pillows I honestly can't thank you enough. I highly recommend these shoes to anyone that offers from any form of foot pain.....life is too short to not live it to the fullest!

could be turf toe,

I've had both turf toe and gout in my lifetime, both suck!

should be rather easy to figure out which is which,

300m- 37 sec.