Water Carriers - Need suggestions (Read 1078 times)

Wow. 20 oz lasts me about an hour in hot weather. And I'm tiny. hmm...
    I was thinking the same thing....maybe I just sweat a whole bunch more. Just ran 10 miles this Sunday, took about 1 and 1/2 hours and I went thru 30 ounces. I have a Nathan Trail Mix comes with 2 - 10 ounce bottles and I added a third Nathan clip on bottle right next to one of the existing bottles on the belt to avoid any extra bounce. Nathan Trail Mix Nathan Clip Bottle
      I have about 10 different varieties of hydration packs (GoLite, Gregory, Nathan, Ultimate Direction, Camelback, etc).... the two I love best for running are below (both hold 2 liters (64oz) of fluid: Nathan HPL 020 Race Vest - very light, minimal storage, doesn't bounce, great pack. Ultimate Direction Wasp - still pretty light, a lot more storage, still doesn't bounce... great for longer unsupported wilderness runs (I use it for the longer stuff in the 6+ hour range or in iffy weather). For just holding water and no gear I like using handhelds. A standard bike bottle is 20oz (28oz for the big ones) so you can hold 40oz (or 54oz) of liquids using two. It takes some getting used to, and many people don't like the handhelds. Good luck, - Chris

Hawt and sexy

Oh, handhelds. I have a nathan handheld that has a pocket for my cell and some cash. I also have an Eddie Bauer handheld I got at Target. It has a bigger pocket and is adjustable so I can use any water bottle or a pop bottle if I want. I said I had a weakness here, right?

I'm touching your pants.

Noticed you mentioned bouncing... I usually wear the bottles on my sides and make sure they are full when I go out.

Vim

Noticed you mentioned bouncing... I usually wear the bottles on my sides and make sure they are full when I go out.
            I wear the bottles at about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions (12 o clock being the buckle in front). I did move the bottles to the 3 and 9 o clock positions but they seemed to move back. I did buy a 70 oz camelback which I will try this weekend. I am going to look at the Runlite 4 tonight to see if the belt is made of a different material. Also looking at a Nathan Elite as well. I dont like hand helds at all. I dont even like carrying a throw away bottle of water. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com

12 Squared

I have a Camelbak Flashflo 1.3 liter waist pack. It's good for long runs, but when you fill it up all the way, it tends to get a little heavy.
              If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra
              AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just started this week with a belt for the first time -- amphipod with two 8oz bottles. One of the runs it felt as though the belt was trying to move around me -- kind of annoying. Still not very good at drinking on the run, but squirting it into my mouth is easier than trying to drink regularly. Also not yet very good at detaching or reattaching bottles. Mostly I wanted a belt for the pocket part, but figured water would probably be a good idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Have asked a few fellow travellers about their camelbacks -- two guys/runners said they liked their camelbacks fine. One girl/biker said she was finding it gets hot on the back.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I looked at and purchased the Amphipod Run lite 4 last night because it uses a different belt than the Airflow series I am currently using. I think it will work but I am going to try it Saturday. I will try the camelback as well this weekend. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
                      I also use the Amphipod RunLite 4 and love it. I have not had any problems of it riding wrong on my hips, however you also have the option of turning the bottles sideways. Although it has four bottles, you can add more or take less. On my longest runs 13+M, i think i've only taken two 8 ox bottles. The other thing I liked about it, is that you can position each holder any place you want. The only draback, is that it is tricky sometimes getting the bottles in and out, but after I used it a little bit, I got pretty good at it.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

UPDATE: I ran 10 miles today with my new Amphipod Run lite 4 belt with 4 full bottles. I found it to be very comfortable and there was not much bounce as I had things pretty well balanced out. The one thing I noticed was that the belt and bottles kept shifting around. I was constantly pushing the right side bottles back into position. About 1/2 way through the run, i pooped a Gu pack and cinched the belt a bit tighter. That seemed to solve the problem of the bottles wanting to shift. I will say I am pleased with Run Lite belt. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
                          Glad you liked it. I've never had a problem with anything shifting, but have readjusted the belt a few times while running and even that was easy. Did you have issues getting the bottles in and out at first? LPH

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Glad you liked it. I've never had a problem with anything shifting, but have readjusted the belt a few times while running and even that was easy. Did you have issues getting the bottles in and out at first? LPH
                            No problems with the bottles as I have been using them with the Airflow series for a few months now. Thanks Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com