Calorie sticker shock (Read 1147 times)

It reminds me of the discovery that the chicken salads at McDonald's (which upon casual glance appear very healthy and light) are not as benign as they appear. McDonald's injects their chicken with a sugar solution to make it moister and more flavorful. I'm not sure how many calories this might add, but it's the sort of thing that could be dangerous to a diabetic who needs to watch their sugar intake.
    Or to those of us who get massive migraines from consuming MSG. That stuff is in nearly everything made at McDs. Also, I once asked at a new "Cosi" restaurant if they used MSG, and, I kid you not, the lady told me that it was in nearly everything they make. And, my local family owned cafe/restaurant (that orders most of their "homemade" food from the Sysco supplier) just put a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of their menus that says "we cannot ensure that our food is MSG-free." What's in restaurant and prepared foods these days? Mostly empty calories and chemicals. Tongue

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

I think this is the wake-up call that many people needed. I've been overweight all my life, and while I'm not a perpetual dieter, I am very aware of what I'm eating. Sometimes I choose to ignore it, sure, but I'm at least clued in to how many calories are in stuff. I knew that muffins are often 500+ calories apiece. I knew that salads at chain restaurants can top 1000 calories. My sister--bless her heart, she has never been overweight a day in her life and is CLUELESS about nutrition--was flabbergasted when she started reading food labels at home and found out a yogurt was 200 calories. A lot of people just aren't aware of this kind of stuff and as others have pointed out, you can't count on the salad to always be a good choice. I think having restaurants have their nutrition information available is something that should be required country-wide. Maybe not even requiring it to be right there on the menus, but available upon request and/or online. It is frustrating when I can't make an informed food choice at a chain restaurant because they don't publish their nutrition information. If it's required for packaged foods in the grocery store, why shouldn't it be required for restaurants?
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri

The young Mama Bear!

I shouldn't be, but I'm actually surprised at how many calories are in some of that stuff. Really? A muffin with 600 calories? What the hell is IN that muffin?
        Yeah, muffins are about the worst thing you can eat in general. Packed with carbs and sugar (I LOVE carbs, but they do pack on the calories). Whenever I see someone eating one and say 'I'm eating healthy', I shake my head. Seriously, that's a good move. I'm overweight, and I'd sure like to know how much I'm eating. America needs a wake-up call for sure, and this is a good start.
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
        redleaf

I get annoyed though when they try to make it difficult to figure things out. Someone else said to say the nutritional information is X per serving and this muffin is 2.5 servings. But stuff like that can make it harder to figure out. I bought some "healthy" soup to heat up at work. It's actually pretty good nutrition-wise (low sodium, real veggies etc) but the nutritional info is based on 250 mL when the single serving container is 384 mL. I don't care if the box is per 250 mL and the container is 500, 750, etc. but this was just annoying.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362