Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I looked into that 1981 story (Mark - scary that's actually 40 years ago, not 30). It turns out they just changed the standard for how they measure courses and then retroactively said it was short. Seems unfair and definitely not a Kiwi Certified course.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Even if it was short, we would still count it as a New Zealand record, right?

Bravo!

5k: 17:58 11/22 β”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 β”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 β”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Bravo!

Definitely front page material given some of the PRs being quoted in this thread!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

All my strava time trials are Piwi certified Jmac 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

All my strava time trials are Piwi certified Jmac 

I'd run a Piwi certified race any day.

Marky_Mark_17

Definitely front page material given some of the PRs being quoted in this thread!

As much as everyone loves to get stuck into this, 4 of my 5 are either track races or national / regional championship courses which have to be officially measured. And I’m pretty sure Piwi, Steve and Watson’s times are off legit courses.

I know you’re not a fan of the 1:09 but it’s probably the only Kiwi PB on this thread with an asterisk next to it, and I’m not too worried what anyone thinks of that because it’s probably the best damn race I’ve ever run.

Also it’s amusing that I thought 1981 was 30 years ago considering that was the year I was born.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'd run a Piwi certified race any day.

In all seriousness, I’d be more pissed off if a course was measured too short than too long. (you just can’t count a PR on a short course)

My local half (which is certified and quite a big race) has been humiliated over the last few years as some muppet puts the turnaround cones in the wrong place and it’s either been too short or too long. 

ETA - I like the fact that in the UK the races are transparent and if a distance is wrong then it’s going to eventually get called out. I looked at my https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=118420 and my 2015 half marathon was declared short...and that’s fine with me...even a Parkrun in 2010 was declared 30m short!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I know you’re not a fan of the 1:09 but it’s probably the only Kiwi PB on this thread with an asterisk next to it, and I’m not too worried what anyone thinks of that because it’s probably the best damn race I’ve ever run.

Well your asterisk should say net downhill and short. You can argue all day about whether courses that are straight down a hill should count. You can say running PRs on non-certified courses are fair because you don't have that option too much in Kiwi-land.

However, saying that is a PR when it was clearly a short course and specifically saying I don't care what anyone thinks is pretty damn disrespectful to all the guys who are working their ass off on this thread to run new PRs. It makes a mockery of what they're doing because we can put up whatever times we want as long as we ran a good race? Come on. Why not say you ran a 1:05, we're just making up numbers at this point.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

ETA - I like the fact that in the UK the races are transparent and if a distance is wrong then it’s going to eventually get called out. I looked at my https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=118420 and my 2015 half marathon was declared short...and that’s fine with me...even a Parkrun in 2010 was declared 30m short!

If you want to know why everyone respects darkwave so much, this was perhaps the moment that did it for me, beyond just her general knowledge about running:

race-report-cherry-blossom-10-miler

From that race report:

I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, finishing in a time of 63:01.  Which was a big PR, and both a worse and better time than the 1:03:00 that I originally read on my watch (you know what I mean).

[edit: not a PR - course was short]

Wrote an entire race report about a PR, and just simply crossed it out later and said nope, not a PR, they found the course was short. No ifs ands or buts about it. She still would have had a PR with the "adjusted" course time but she didn't even contemplate it.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

I didn’t want to shock Milkman....but he is my long distance son. 

Honestly Jack, I wouldn’t have chosen that name for you. πŸ‘Ž

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

If you want to know why everyone respects darkwave so much, this was perhaps the moment that did it for me, beyond just her general knowledge about running:

Wrote an entire race report about a PR, and just simply crossed it out later and said nope, not a PR, they found the course was short. No ifs ands or buts about it. She still would have had a PR with the "adjusted" course time but she didn't even contemplate it.

Sorry to jump in and that is not disrespect to dw in any way, but come on - this is an absolutely normal behavior, that's how good normal people do things. I am sorry if you are surrounded by other types of personalities, but I do not think it is something unusual that needs to be pointed out so specifically - otherwise we just start praising normalcy and declaring anything less as normal.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sorry to jump in and that is not disrespect to dw in any way, but come on - this is an absolutely normal behavior, that's how good normal people do things. I am sorry if you are surrounded by other types of personalities, but I do not think it is something unusual that needs to be pointed out so specifically - otherwise we just start praising normalcy and declaring anything less as normal.

Completely agreed, but when everyone is giving out participation trophies, you thank the person who isn't.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Honestly Jack, I wouldn’t have chosen that name for you. πŸ‘Ž

I'm really John III (ETA for those who don't know, Jack is a very common nickname for John), so blame my great grandfather for starting it. He was in Ireland at the time. Who knows what he was drinking 

watsonc123

As much as everyone loves to get stuck into this, 4 of my 5 are either track races or national / regional championship courses which have to be officially measured. And I’m pretty sure Piwi, Steve and Watson’s times are off legit courses.

Also it’s amusing that I thought 1981 was 30 years ago considering that was the year I was born.

I'm totally fine with 4 of your PRs.

But Southern Lakes was so downhill, at an ideal slope.  I reckon I'd be 3 minutes quicker on that course, compared to a flat course.  And the course was quite possibly short, I tried to find other Strava activities for the same race, but couldn't find any - you'd expect most to be in the 21.1 to 21.3km range.

I do wonder if your 1:12 at Dunedin (I think) is actually a better performance?

My old cheap watch almost always measures shorter than most other watches.  So all my PRs have been on GPS short courses where most other runners GPS had it longer, the half and 10k were wheel measured and the 5k was probably fine too.  When I ran Wairararapa marathon 2017 (very slightly different course to 2020) that ended up short, but I'm pretty sure it was fine distance wise.

Just an idea, to calm down the outrage from us hobby joggers, maybe put your asterix half, and your PR on a course that's not net downhill.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25