10K vs. 5K (Read 828 times)

moochiegirl

I normally run a 5K race every spring near my house, but this year they have added a 10K race as well. For someone who usually tops out at a 5K would training for a 10K be pretty hard or do you think it is do able? I really want to do the 10K but am a little nervous after I looked at a few different training schedules. The race is May 10th. Any suggestions?
    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Training to complete the distance is not a huge stretch. Training with a specific time goal can get tough, but that's true for any distance. What are your goals?
      Scout7

It's doable.

Go for it. If you don't like it, then you can either train harder for the next one or else go back to running the 5k next year. Chances are, though, that you will enjoy it just as much as the 5k and it will give you a new distance to enjoy.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

moochiegirl12

Thanks for the advice! I think I will go for it!! Not looking to break any time record here, just want to finish it!
              A 10K should be very doable, especially since you just want to finish. You will have to watch out though, once you get to that distance, 10 miles doesn't look that far away. Then it's just another 5K to a 1/2. Before you know it you're pasting a "26.2" sticker to the bumper of your car.

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

My legs are killing me

Go ahead and run the 10k. I think you'll find it a nice race to run. Take a nice easy pace and just concentrate on finishing. When I started running 10ks instead of 5 I actually enjoyed it more because I was taking a much more leisurely pace as opposed to the 5k which I'd break my tail trying to run a good time.
                  You will have to watch out though, once you get to that distance, 10 miles doesn't look that far away. Then it's just another 5K to a 1/2. Before you know it you're pasting a "26.2" sticker to the bumper of your car.
                  Nate ain't kiddin', my addiction started with a Fourth of July two miler on a whim. Have fun with your race, and be sure to post a report. If you want to keep Jake happy, make sure it gots pictures. MTA: Just realized I've never run a 10K. Had to check my PRs, confirmed my suspicion. Note to self, find a nice 10K...

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

10ks are my favorite. A perfect race. Totally doable. They are so much fun!!

- Anya

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

10ks are my favorite. A perfect race. Totally doable. They are so much fun!!
                      That's totally true. And yet, I hate them. 5k's are short enough that even if you're having a bad day, it'll be over soon. 15k and up, and you can always slow down and say, "I was just doing it as a fast training run." But 10ks are too long to suffer through and too short to bail on.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A 10K should be very doable, especially since you just want to finish. You will have to watch out though, once you get to that distance, 10 miles doesn't look that far away. Then it's just another 5K to a 1/2. Before you know it you're pasting a "26.2" sticker to the bumper of your car.
                        Uh HUH! The man speaks the truth! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

5k's are short enough that even if you're having a bad day, it'll be over soon. 15k and up, and you can always slow down and say, "I was just doing it as a fast training run." But 10ks are too long to suffer through and too short to bail on.
                          I couldn’t have said it any better except that I hate 10k’s. I want to run them just off my 5k pace but all that does it take the painful exhausting feeling of the last 5k mile and stretch it out to 2-2.5 miles at the end of the 10k. For me, if it’s not a 5k then it has to be at least a half marathon distance.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                          Running in Tampa