dookie (Read 1305 times)

whonicca

delete

You'll ruin your knees!

First of all...CONGRATS on the baby...that's awesome. Now, while everyone is different, I feel that three weeks off from running is enough to see a decline (note I didn't say lose). That said, your time off is plenty of time for you to expect to be set back in your running program...BUT YOU HAD A BABY! Hopefully, you are talking with your doctor about your pre/postn baby running and he/she is on board with your plans. The best advice I could give is to take it slow and listen to your body. Consider going back a few weeks in the C25k program and ramping back up to where you left off. It is really exciting to see you felt great after your run yesterday, a very good sign. Are you running with a baby jogger? Perhaps that change could attribute the problems with your upper thighs, I don't know, as I have never run with one. I am sure some of the mom's on here will have some more good things...just take care not to expect to pick up where you left off...you were inactive long enough to see a decline in your performance/ability...will need to build up slowly/smartly! Good luck... We like baby pics... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Most docs will tell you not to exercise until 6 weeks post partum. And while 3 weeks off my only result in a small decline for most people, you are coming off having a baby so none of the normal rules apply. Consider it like coming back after illness or injury. Your body is fatigued and worn out and I doubt you're sleeping well. Give it some time before you expect it to work in top form.
        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
        whonicca

OOOOPS. Shocked Forgot to mention I'm a Dad. Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

OOOOPS. Shocked Forgot to mention I'm a Dad. Big grin
            OK, well that may change it a bit, but still, the time off still WILL result in a decline in your ability that will have to be regained. Sorry for assuming you were the childbearer! But way to go, DAD! Is this your first? Good luck with the running and the addition to the family. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

First off, Congratulations on the new addition. Time to go shopping for one of those jogging strollers!!!! Second off, I am a big proponent of a lot of what Jack Daniels (the legendary coach, not the drink!!!) has to say about training. His book is at home, so I don't have the exact correlation in front of me but, there is a certain percentage of loss dependent on the time taken off. I will try to look up the information when I get home from work but I would say the best advice is to progress yourself slowly at first to get back into the swing of things. You will start to feel things come back sooner rather then later but if you try to start off too hard, too heavy initially you risk more time off due to injury.
              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "WOW... WHAT A RIDE!!!" Muskingum College XC
              whonicca

OK, well that may change it a bit, but still, the time off still WILL result in a decline in your ability that will have to be regained. Sorry for assuming you were the childbearer! But way to go, DAD! Is this your first? Good luck with the running and the addition to the family. Lynn B
                Yes it's my first. Another question, Does jogging ruin your knees/legs later in life?

Now that was a bath...

Dude, that is soooooooooo funny! I too thought that you were a woman and was mentally preparing my reply on the risks of running too soon as I read through what the others had said and found out that you are a man. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Run. Run fast. Run too hard. Make yourself really hurt and then you can empathize with your woman. Tongue Just kidding. And not sure about the knees either!
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                  whonicca

Dude, that is soooooooooo funny! I too thought that you were a woman and was mentally preparing my reply on the risks of running too soon as I read through what the others had said and found out that you are a man. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Run. Run fast. Run too hard. Make yourself really hurt and then you can empathize with your woman. Tongue Just kidding. And not sure about the knees either!
                    LOL. Must be the username. I'm going to have to change it.

You'll ruin your knees!

LOL. Must be the username. I'm going to have to change it.
                      Or just update your profile and make it public...and your log! Lot's of jury still out on the knees thing. I have had two ACL reconstructive surgeries (non-running related, both trauma from other sports) and subsequently two knee doctors tell me I would never be able to run. I listened to them for about a dozen years and then decided WTF, or HTFU, Lynn! I've been running strong since 2000 and haven't looked back. If my knees give me big problems later in life, I will always believe it will be due to the trauma and knee surgeries more than the running. I'm 50 now and, yes, things hurt from time to time, but no more than when I didn't run... Lynn B

Scout7

I think that, generally speaking, running in and of itself doesn't create the problems. Improper training does. I've been at local races where the oldest finisher is well into his 80s.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

I don't know about the knees for long-term problems, but I DO know that the long-term problems of inactivity and/or obesity far, far outweigh knee pain... Just a thought. I run.

Roads were made for journeys...

given you had more than 6 weeks off I’d recommend moving back a few weeks and picking up the C25K at maybe week 4 or 5? That way you can ease yourself back into it a bit. i had serious knee problems from rugby (including a reconstructed ACL) but they don’t really give me any trouble when running. i’m with wingz – sitting on the couch will cause more trouble. congratulations on the new baby Smile
                            evillee

Congrats, I am in the EXACT situation as you. My daughter was born 7/24. I have yet to really get back into running since. The time off is serving me well though. I was having some kind of foot pain in both feet and with the rest I am no longer experiencing it. So hopefully the 4 week off wont set me back too much. I was hoping to do my first marathon (Philly) in November but I think I'll have to scale back to the half.