question for forefoot runners (Read 448 times)

When running down hill how do you strike the ground? I have a hard time staying off my heels unless I am really cooking.

#artbydmcbride

I try to land mid-to forefoot, keeping a high turnover with a quick light touch and a short stride. Try to land right under me too for balance!

Runners run

xor

Try to land right under me too for balance!
        I think I'd trip you if I did that. Besides, Mr ilene would kick my ass.

#artbydmcbride

Big grin

Runners run

JimR

What kind of hills? Steep one's a-la trail races are ones of survival, steep road hills I have to heel strike because I cannot generate enough leg speed to keep up if I didn't. Normal hills, no big issue, I run them same as a flat surface.
              Big grin Well how do heel strikers run uphills?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I try to mid to fore-foot landing - touch enough to control direction and continue "falling" downhill. Sometimes the heels on some running shoes, esp. road shoes, are so high it's hard to avoid at least scraping the heel first. I try to keep my body perpendicular to the slope to increase friction. On steep hills, I increase my turnover substantially to keep feet under body.
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog