Journal Forum? (Read 952 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been on a couple of diet and fitness-related boards where members have "journals." Basically there will be a forum set-aside where members will start a single thread to document and discuss their progress from day-to-day. These threads are public and created with the intent for the poster to write whatever they are feeling and other board members are welcome to join the conversation in each thread. I wonder if other RA members might benefit from something like this...it would be a little different than simply looking at someone's log, since it would be a place to see more mental and emotional aspects of an individual's training. I've often thought it would be useful to have a place to celebrate good runs (like the one I had today), as well as crappy ones. Sometimes it seems awkward to start a thread for a random run, but if there were an ongoing thread I could post my feelings re: my runs and it would be out there for others to comment on, or simply read. Might be a nice way to gain inspiration from the progress of fellow runners, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds kind of like a blog. I know this came up once but it was declined at the time... was it bandwidth issues, Eric? I forget. I've been thinking of starting a blog somewhere. Of coursre, I'd rather have all my running stuff together in one place: blog, log, forum, etc.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, kind of like a blog...nothing real high tech, just mainly a regular forum set aside for blog/journal threads. I blog a lot on my regular blog about my running, but sometimes I think my friends and family don't want to read about my running progress and frustrations as much as other runners might. Other runners would benefit from the experiences of other runners, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

eric :)

Wouldn't it be easier if I turn the log into a blog too? I mean, all the fields are there. It's just a matter of formating the page to make it look like a blog. Having a forum for such posts I feel is not appropriate because it will become harder for the author to find his/her thread as more people join. eric Smile
            I like the log into a blog idea!
              I disagree. I'd like to keep this training log as a training log. With the new scripts Eric has generated it's very easy to link your RunningAHEAD data to your blog. Eric, thanks for a great site! You 'da man!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wouldn't it be easier if I turn the log into a blog too? I mean, all the fields are there. It's just a matter of formating the page to make it look like a blog.
                Ooh, I like that option. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

With the new scripts Eric has generated it's very easy to link your RunningAHEAD data to your blog.
                  I agree...except several people were having issues reading my blog with the script in place. I'm not sure why, as it worked fine for me viewing with both Safari and Firefox (I think it was mostly an IE issue). I ended up having to remove my script. Anyhow, my personal blog has gotten sort of taken over by my running babble and most of the people who read my blog don't run, so it seems to make more sense to have a running blog on my running site....does that make sense? k

~ Sarah Kay

I disagree. I'd like to keep this training log as a training log. With the new scripts Eric has generated it's very easy to link your RunningAHEAD data to your blog. Eric, thanks for a great site! You 'da man!
                    Jeff, No worries. The blog will be an option, and you'll be able to select the different views. eric Smile
                    va

Wouldn't it be easier if I turn the log into a blog too? I mean, all the fields are there. It's just a matter of formating the page to make it look like a blog...eric Smile
                      Hi Eric Smile, I really like the idea of displaying my running log entries as a blog. When I add a running entry, I typically add notes about the run (e.g., details about the run, how I felt, plans for future runs, ...). It would be nice to be able display all of this information as a blog, rather then having to go and create a separate blog on another site, as many people have done. As you say, all of the info is there, and it is just a matter of formatting. Is this type of capability on your short list? I think it would be a great addition for your site. Regards,

Hi Eric Smile, I really like the idea of displaying my running log entries as a blog. When I add a running entry, I typically add notes about the run (e.g., details about the run, how I felt, plans for future runs, ...). It would be nice to be able display all of this information as a blog, rather then having to go and create a separate blog on another site, as many people have done. As you say, all of the info is there, and it is just a matter of formatting. Is this type of capability on your short list? I think it would be a great addition for your site. Regards,
                        This is something that I've been dying to get to ever since this thread was created. Just as you had mentioned, there is currently no blog that marries the concept of blogging with running. I know it will be a hit. As you know, I'm currently working on GPS import. I don't know much about it although one of the users have given me a great head start. I also know nothing about writing a blog. I'm sure there are many intricacies that I won't understand until I work on it. Before I can start work on it, I have to answer questions like how would the URL look and how difficult it is to add something like "va123.runningahead.com"? How much work is involved to make it have the same behaviors as the blogs that you're used to so that the learning curve won't be as steep? I keep getting minor hurdles. The most recent is the daylight savings change this coming weekend. I'm all for having more day light, but it also meant that I had to spend some time to update the DST handling code. It's all these little things that keep me from working on the cool and exciting features. Long story short, I don't know when I could get to this, but it's something I definitely want to add soon.