GPS watch options, RA friendly (Read 124 times)

Eternal Rookie

It may be time to get a new watch. I’ve used Garmins for 10 years but don’t feel the need to stay with them.

What I’d like is a standalone (i.e. no phone) GPS watch with a strapless HRM with real buttons for controls that I can upload workouts to RA effortlessly.

Anybody using something like that?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Garmin 225 & 235

Liz

pace sera, sera

an amazing likeness

I don't have the actual data, but I'd willingly bet a sizeable wager that over 98% of runs logged here are from Garmin devices. The interaction with Garmin will always be first and foremost over other solutions at RA until the market shifts significantly.

Whenever anyone asks me, my reply is Forerunner 220, without hesitation.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Garmin 230 which is like the 235 but no heart rate.  I am sure the one with HR is fine as well but has shorter battery life.

I got rid of my 920xt. It had too many problems. The 230 is much better and costs a lot less.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Cyberic

For strapless HRM, like Buzzie said, Forerunner 225, 235.

I hear good things about TomToms, too, but never had one myself. TomTom Runner Cardio GPS - https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/sports/running/products/runner-cardio-gps-watch/black-red/

MTA: Ha. The Tomtom has something like a joystick instead of real buttons, so doesn't exactly fit your criterias.

Eternal Rookie

Thanks for the insight. I train by perceived effort, not heart rate, but I like to look at HR data when I get back.

Count me among the 225/235 fans. Get the 235 if you want notifications, which I did not want but now really like having.

RE: battery life, I've never measured, but this is not an issue at all for me on 235. I would say at least a week with a quick recharge.

Garmin 230 which is like the 235 but no heart rate.  I am sure the one with HR is fine as well but has shorter battery life.