IT Band again (Read 786 times)

OK, well I'm like a broken record here, but thought I'd share.

I've had 2 major bouts of ITBS, and have just been running 5 or 6 miles ever since.  I finally got it through my thick skull that I could never do anymore without risking an injury.

Well, suddenly, eveyone around me, ( even not so great runners, I try not to judge!)  are doing 10 or 12, or more mile runs.    I had this one girl tell me I should start back  up with the local running group. They  were doing 12 miles right now.  So, I'm looking at her thinking if SHE can do twelve miles, there is no way that I couldn't do the same thing.  

So, doing everyhing correct, I add one mile to my run this past Saturday.  Just ONE measly mile.   And guess what flared up?  You got it, my IT Band.  Now, it's not that bad, since I think I caught it time...  Once I felt the twinge, I started going really slow. Then the twinge got worse, so I had to stop, about 1/2 mile shy of my 7 mile goal. 

Now, I'm back to rolling it, stretching it, and icing it.   What else can one do?

Anyway, it's discouraging.  I just need to  face the fact that I am a 5 miler for life.   Which, is not that bad, really.  Seeing as though 5 miles is better than no miles...   I just can't believe it flared up that quickly.   I thought I was in better shape than that!!!     

- Anya

your log shows that you havent done any cross training recently. ITBS can occur when theres a muscle imbalance.

when i had mine i could sustain plenty of time on the bike with very little discomfort and it did seem to help speed up recovery.

work on those muscle groups! good luck.

JML

your log shows that you havent done any cross training recently. ITBS can occur when theres a muscle imbalance.

when i had mine i could sustain plenty of time on the bike with very little discomfort and it did seem to help speed up recovery.

+1

I had a bout of ITBS in my left leg that really flared around mile 23 of my first marathon resulting in a run/walk death march to finish the race.  After that, I augmented my running with some time on the bike, and several leg exercises to strengthen my legs.  Was it a muscle imbalance or just too much too soon?  Who knows.  I have found that continuing the non running XT and particularly being consistent about doing walking lunges with light weights as silenced my ITB.

Good luck

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Well, I thought a lot about what you said last night.... I think you're right.

What I should have done, was start a plan to increase my core and cross training first... Once I was set in that routine, then start the gradual increase. 

It's like my hips need to be stronger, and I probably have known this.    I will recover, and try this first.

Thanks!

- Anya

+1

I had a bout of ITBS in my left leg that really flared around mile 23 of my first marathon resulting in a run/walk death march to finish the race.  After that, I augmented my running with some time on the bike, and several leg exercises to strengthen my legs.  Was it a muscle imbalance or just too much too soon?  Who knows.  I have found that continuing the non running XT and particularly being consistent about doing walking lunges with light weights as silenced my ITB.

Good luck

I'm going to try the bike tomorrow.   You know, it takes FOREVER to actually walk five miles.  Good lord!!!

- Anya

I had it after my first marathon in 2009, but once I discovered 'the stretch for me', I've done 3 subsequent marathons with no issues.  I found that 1 mile was the point that mine started to hurt, so I would run 2-3 times a day, get a good warmup for that mile and then stop and stretch.  These are not my hairy legs

http://www.runners-resource.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/itstretch.jpg

Then later in the day I'd run again and give it a good stretch.  From being 'out' for several months, I was back running again in a week after doing this.  This stretch is now as much of a requirement for me as is a calf stretch.  If I don't do it, the next time I do it feels AMAZING, and it's really really tight initially. 

Hope that helps. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!