Why study ostriches? (Read 165 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Based on what the majority of the human population does for 8+ hours of the day, in about 10,000 years I predict we'll evolve to have chairs growing out of our asses.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Half Crazy K 2.0

Based on what the majority of the human population does for 8+ hours of the day, in about 10,000 years I predict we'll evolve to have chairs growing out of our asses.

And a smartphone growing out of one hand.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

And a smartphone growing out of one hand.

From what I've observed, that's already started. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

catwhoorg

Labrat

I note that ostriches have their rib cages parallel to the ground, while humans have them perpendicular to the ground.  I can't imagine it's very efficient to bend 90° at the waist while running.

More than that, Crotchstriches and all birds (plus theropod) lungs get fresh air during both the inhalation and exhalation phase of breathing, thanks to their air sacs, making them by far more efficient than mammalian lungs.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

catwhoorg

Labrat

Doping doesn't change the way you run, which is why it's a useless path to improve performance. Not to mention that all of the records his runners set, tested clean at the time of the race.

Doping controls and testing are a joke, especially when in-competition testing is involved. You just ensure your glow-time has passed.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

It will be interesting to see which straws are grasped next in an attempt to appear to have "secret knowledge" about training.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

More than that, Crotchstriches and all birds (plus theropod) lungs get fresh air during both the inhalation and exhalation phase of breathing, thanks to their air sacs, making them by far more efficient than mammalian lungs.

This leads me to believe that it would be advantageous to run while playing bagpipes.

T Hound

Slower but happier

The environment has shifted to highly refined carbs and sedantary lifestyle.  Clearly, healthy fit people are maladapted and its only a matter of time before they go extinct and a group of new mutants who can thrive fill the niche left in their wake.  Guess what, you dont need legs anymore or running forums.

Oh, Just think if they implant your phone in your head, you can instant acess to this wealth of  SJ information seamlessly.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

GC100k

Oh, Just think if they implant your phone in your head, you can instant acess to this wealth of  SJ information seamlessly.

Will it just repeat the same phrases over and over and over again for years and years?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This leads me to believe that it would be advantageous to run while playing bagpipes.

Thread win.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Doobry

All the cool coaches are mimicking cheetah dynamics:

Image result for funny ostrich memes

Religion is just a contest to see who's got the best imaginary friend.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

While your picture is cute, it doesn't tell the whole story. This video shows how agile ostriches truly are. That they can out cut in agility the cheetah is how the ostrich tires out its predators through evasive running tactics. While marathon runners are clueless to the bird's skill, those who play rotational sports like basketball, lacrosse, soccer and others, appreciate what we can learn from them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj6-y_pMBzE

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong