Speed, distance, or both? (Read 589 times)

Hey all you 5k runners. I recently ran my first 5k and my time was 20:37. Like many of you I am trying to break the 20 minute mark. Do you think speed training is more important to focus on when it comes to 5k's, distance training, or do you think they are both equally important? Some speed and distance workouts would be helpful. Thanks! Smile
    2008 goals mile:5 :30 5k: sub 20:00
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How long have you been running? How often do you run? It's hard to say what will improve your time without knowing anything about your training. 20:37 isn't a bad time for a 5K. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I'm sure everyone will ask you for more details - it's hard to know what to advise without knowing what you are already doing. BUT, the key workout that got me from 20.30 to 19.50 was to introduce some track intervals: 5 x 1km in 4.00 (ie 20:00 pace) with a short interval between them (jog 200m in ~1min). Your mileage, as they say, may vary...... 20:37 is a great time for a first 5k.
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
          Since you don't seem ambitious to want to run a marathon, then I don't think its pertinent to go run 10 miles which is a medium run or 18 miles which would be a long run; however, I don't think 100 yard sprints are the key either because they would build bulk. I usually do workouts that are fun and comfortable, its my day off and I really don't want to ruin it with 20 100 meter dashes and I think its really why Daniels wrote his book to show you to run at paces that are not stressful and work your way up the ladder using comfortable paces. For some reason it seems like Jeremy Warnier is floating out there and isn't working hard, that said, you might want to consider running a 3k and get comfortable with some nice splits a 1k, 2k and 3k and then move on to trying to hold pace for 5k, one thing is sure, if your uncomfortable at 1k at 4 minute pace, the 5k will seem like a marathon.

Hawt and sexy

Distance first, then the speed will come.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Which would you rather? A) Break 20min 8 weeks from now but a year from now still be running 19:40ish, or B) Break 20min 6 months from now and be runnign 18:00 a year from now? If A, your best bet is to hit the track and do speed work. If B, your best bet is to focus on getting in as much distance as you can while still getting in at least one workout a week (either tempo or intervals) and a decently long run (whatever that is for your current abilities). Then, about 4 months from your goal races, revert to doing a couple hard/fast workouts each week with lower volume. (ie distance THEN speed). Specific workouts are not as important as your philosophy, A or B above, and can't be given without a ton more information on where you are currently at.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

What spaniel said. The answer is both. But you need a lot more distance than speed.

Runners run

Hey everyone. Sorry I didn't provide enough info. I run about 25-30 miles per week and my long run is only about 8-10 miles. I've been running for only about 6 months. To reply to Spaniel I would rather do option B and thanks for the advice.
                  2008 goals mile:5 :30 5k: sub 20:00
                  Carps10

distance is more important. it's possible to break 20 with no real speed work, because really, 6:26 pace is not a blazing pace, you just need to develop some aerobic fitness to hold it for 20 minutes though. really you could try 200m strides after easy runs and also some 20-30 minute tempo runs, but that's all the speed it will take. 10 is a good long run but build mileage to 40 mpw at least.
                      Agree with spaniel and Mike. (Very well said by sapaniel.) Both should be in a well balanced training plan. But, since a 5k race is 93-95% aerobic, the emphasis should be on endurance and strength training (running volume, threshold training and hillwork) over the long term. Speed training should take priority when peaking for a relatively short term racing "season".