The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So full blackout restrictions were in effect for FIVE YEARS and reduced ones for another seven months.  HTFU, Americans.  Sad

I try to balance my media intake from the middle of the bell curve out 2-sigmas in either direction.  I've been amazed that the conservative Right has picked up this talking note: "We cannot go on like this . . . ". [which started in April]   Typically, you'd expect the "suck it up" mantra from this faction, and the Lefties whining about its affect on mental health (e.g. "Crimes of despair" ie suicide).  Strange times we live in.

Blackout from The Blitz is a good reminder of the time when people were made of heartier stock.  "Greatest Generation", yes ma'am.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Kalsarikännit

A really great source of backpacking food/meal additions is the freeze dried veggies and other stuff from complete nutbag doomsday preppers, but those sites are freaky.  They have full one year (one person) packages to provide 2500 calories/day for 365 days of bunker living.

I just laugh when when I think of any of these people making it a week under any circumstances.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indeed.

Most of these preppers couldn't stay home for more than a week back in March. Had to go out and get their lattes.

A really great source of backpacking food/meal additions is the freeze dried veggies and other stuff from complete nutbag doomsday preppers, but those sites are freaky.  They have full one year (one person) packages to provide 2500 calories/day for 365 days of bunker living.

I just laugh when when I think of any of these people making it a week under any circumstances.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My husband bought a bunch of oatmeal and rice he has stored at our cabin in the Maine mountains, ha.  Yeah, we could make it there, April through October, but the other half of the year would be a little tough since the logging roads aren't plowed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Talk about snowflakes.

Kalsarikännit

Talk about snowflakes.

Also, what the heck is wrong with a person that they would want to live a year in some windowless bunker if the fan hit the shit?  Maybe they have more to live for than me, but if the choice comes down to a year indoors or throwing myself off a cliff during the zombie apocalypse, I’m choosing the cliff.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Missing mass in Wisconsin is now a "grave sin".  Not enough eye roll emojis for this. No mention if there will be a return to shaking hands for the peace offering & sharing the wine chalice.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Also, what the heck is wrong with a person that they would want to live a year in some windowless bunker if the fan hit the shit?  Maybe they have more to live for than me, but if the choice comes down to a year indoors or throwing myself off a cliff during the zombie apocalypse, I’m choosing the cliff.

Exactly!  I told my husband if the situation deteriorates to the point we have to live in a remote mountain cabin, we're in such dire trouble that relocating is not going to solve the problem.

Kalsarikännit

live in a remote mountain cabin,

A bunker sounds bad, I’ll take the remote mountain cabin right now.  Especially if it doesn’t have a phone signal so I can’t look at the news.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I am going to admit to complete and total ignorance of something, and I don’t know if I’m an idiot (probably) or if it is truly surprising...

I’ve been furloughed since early March, and after a few months of sitting around and after more was learned about covid, I decided that I would do some thru hikes.  Five days in the woods living off ramen and one day in a small town in Minnesota or Colorado, always taking all recommended precautions and dropping a little money where it was needed felt right.  Some towns were very strict about people wearing masks in public, one (Lake City, CO) had a few businesses that had signs up saying that they wouldn’t require customers to wear masks despite state orders (but I could see the staff was masked).

I bikepacked the GAP and C&O trails last week, everything was good and I felt very comfortable in the towns, and then I hit Rockwood and Meyersdale, PA.  Needing just to grab some food, a beer or two for when I set up camp, and a temporary screw for one that came out of my cleat, I went in and walked right out of EVERY business in these towns and didn’t spend a buck.  I didn’t see one mask in town, I didn’t see one mask on patrons, and I didn’t see one mask on employees who were handling food or interacting with the public.  Not badly worn masks, NOTHING.  It was as if nothing was going on.  The first time I saw this at a small grocery/deli I asked the cashier/lady making the food if there was a state mandatory mask order.  I got a shrug and a “yeah, probably” (turns out there is not).

I genuinely did not know this was going on anywhere in the world right now, much less America.

There was an entire county or city in California that had ZERO Covid 19 positive test results (yes they were tested) and they closed to outsiders such as yourself because they didn't want to spread it. No need for a mask or social distancing when the virus can't come to town. The state probably didn't have a mask mandate at the time. I don't walk around with a helmet on protecting me in case I fall. Why do I need to walk around trying to stop the spread of a virus that isn't here? Malaria isn't a problem in the United States so I don't take pills to prevent the disease from infecting me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Kalsarikännit

they closed to outsiders such as yourself 

They were entirely self sufficient?  How did the grocery stores stock?  How did people get packages or mail in a completely isolationist setting?  What if someone left the town, were they not allowed back in?

And what does that have to do with a town that is situated on a trail that is part of the national park system and looks to outsiders such as myself for money?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wrigs, meet Running Problem. That interaction right there pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

Kalsarikännit

Wrigs, meet Running Problem. That interaction right there pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

I’m beginning to suspect there is no helmet because it won’t fit over the tinfoil hat.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, see how well Australia and New Zealand kept out the virus with their closed borders...

Running Problem

Problem Child

They were entirely self sufficient?  How did the grocery stores stock?  How did people get packages or mail in a completely isolationist setting?  What if someone left the town, were they not allowed back in?

And what does that have to do with a town that is situated on a trail that is part of the national park system and looks to outsiders such as myself for money?

I don't know. I don't live there. I just remember reading about it. It was 2 months ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/this-one-california-county-has-zero-coronavirus-cases-whats-its-secret/ar-BB16CwU0

You're more than welcome to read up about it. I was just using it as a reference to your reaction about no one wearing masks in a location where they aren't mandatory. You went hiking and people weren't wearing masks. Now the national forests are closed in California for people's safety so I doubt there is much hiking going on.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22