Black Diamond Moxie headlamp (Read 627 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Just passing on a tip from someone - I picked up one of these as an upgrade on my Petzl Tikka Plus and Shocked !!! When both are on, you can't even see the beam from the Petzl. The Moxie has an array of the usual small LEDs, plus one larger 1 watt (I think) LED which really cranks out a large, bright beam. I'm now able to run a normal pace in otherwise pitch blackness. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

an amazing likeness

Where do you wear it ? Great question, huh? I'm sure you are thinking something along the lines of "Well, duh -- It is a headlamp, you moron, where do you expect me to wear it!". But wait... For me, they either bounce up and down on my forehead and wear off the skin. (yes, I have a receding hairline...and it has been in recession for some time now) Or, the straps squeeze my head so tight I'm worried about brain matter oozing from my ears. Do you wear it on top of a hat ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

After several years of frustration with headlamps (especially my gaul-darned tikka), I took some sage advice from my 100-miler friends and ditched the headlamps completely. They bounce and they monkey with depth perception. Instead, I carry a lightweight handheld led light. It's brighter, the battery(ies) last a long time, and most importantly... I can scan around or point it where I want to without having to track it exactly with my head. I use a Fenix Q2. That and other Fenix choices can be found here. No, I'm not trying to shill for Fenix nor that particular store... but I will say that trading in the headlamp for a handheld worked wonderfully for me.

an amazing likeness

srlopez, Let's see, you run marathons and trail events more often than I mow my lawn. Heck you're so conditioned to starting guns, I'd bet that if a car backfired a loud *bang* while you were walking down the street, you'd instinctively just set out for 26.2 before you stopped. I've done 1 marathon. I'll take your advise and look into nearly everything you suggest, shilling or not. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Well, FWIW, I really don't know anything about that store... I only linked it to show the pictures. I bought my Fenixes (Fenices?) from REI. But I tried to find them on rei.com and didn't see the choices I wanted to show. As for listening to what I say, eh... I run a lot of them, but sometimes not particularly well. And I am bloody awful on trails. Sometimes literally bloody.

Queen of 3rd Place

Since I always wear a cap or visor (even in the dark, to keep the sweat out of my eyes), I put in on over that, and yes, it's a lot more comfortable that way. The bill of the cap/visor helps support the weight of the light. Works for me. Arla MTA: SR has a good point (ha) you have to point the thing where you want to see. Not an issue for me, but I can see where it might be one...

Ex runner

I find the headlamps a pain in the head, too. Too heavy, move around, blah blah blah. I found something like this in Academy one day while looking for flashlights for a camping trip. It was so light and clipped on to my hat brim or I could easily take it off and use it as a handheld. I forget the exact brand of the one I bought, but this picture below is similar. I think I paid 9 or 10 bucks.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?