RW Survey Questions - Set # 2 (Read 826 times)

JakeKnight

In the interest of avoiding mass bouts of narcolepsy, I'll try and alternate the interesting questions with the dull ones. So ... These are a little more fun ... and completely open-ended. So if you're a strange freak (and I *know* some of you are), go ahead and tell the truth. It's the Internet. Admitting how twisted you are is why it was invented. We don't know you. (If you posted a picture and your real name, now's the time to change it. For example, I'm actually Fabio, so I'll be posting my real picture shortly. I can't believe it's not butter, either). This may be interesting: 1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

JakeKnight

And since I was scolded for not answering my own questions in the previous thread: 1) I invariably sit in the Lazy Boy with a Bassett-mix mongrel in my lap stepping on my unmentionables, drinking two cups of coffee, and watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer reruns on TNT. No, I'm not kidding. Yes - Buffy is actually on at 6:00 a.m. Don't ask. It's become a ritual of sorts. 2) Post-run ritual? That's easy: collapse into this very same chair and add shiny new bars to my pretty little graph, while slurping on the last cup of coffee. 3) The last time I lied about running, I claimed I'd be outside mowing the lawn for three hours. Unfortunately, my plan had some flaws. The run went just fine ... but the fact that the grass was no shorter, despite my lengthy absence and the copious amounts of sweat on my brow when I came back in the house, was a bit of a giveaway. If I'd had the brains to hire a neighbor kid, I woulda got away with it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? Get my running clothes on (obviously), pee, put my hair up, pee, hat/headwear, pee, 2 hits off the inhaler, pee, Body Glide necessary spots (lower back if wearing Camelbak, inner thighs if wearing shorts), pee, stretch, pee, grab cotton hanky for wiping sweat, pee, socks on, stretch, pee, stretch some more, pee, shoes on, out the door... 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Map and log my run, stretch, strip down, hit the shower. During the school year I have to map and log runs after I get home from picking my son up, since I'm crunched for time. 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.) Haven't run into this, yet, but I will be eager to take notes for future useage. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Get my running clothes on (obviously), pee, put my hair up, pee, hat/headwear, pee, 2 hits off the inhaler, pee, Body Glide necessary spots (lower back if wearing Camelbak, inner thighs if wearing shorts), pee, stretch, pee, grab cotton hanky for wiping sweat, pee, socks on, stretch, pee, stretch some more, pee, shoes on, out the door...
          There seems to be a common theme there. Almost a motif, if you will.

Scout7

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? Pee (I feel like zoom), stretch my ankles and calves real quick. 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Heh. My all-time favorite requires a partner.....yeah. Beyond that, it's a shower and a beer, then logging my run. 3) Bonus Not so much an excuse to get out of something, but more along the lines of "Hey, look, I HAVE to get this run in, and you know, we're not really doing anything right now, so I guess I'll just go now. I'm gonna be gone for a while, so dinner's on your own, honey. Ok, great, see ya in a few."
            Wingz

Professional Noob

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? You know, almost every day before heading out the door I'm reading the boards here on RA... strange, that! Also, pet and kiss my cats, and tell them I'm going out for a run and when they can expect me back... even stranger, that! But it's true! Blush 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Logging my run, icing down any painful joints, and "favorite" only by virtue of it having to be done almost every time, getting ready for either school and/or work, depending on the day and time of day. 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.) Not yet, but I've seriously considered it. Especially calling in sick just so I could do a long trail run for fun. Haven't done it yet. Yet.

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? Change into my running clothes, pee, grab the watch and off I go. 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Stretching. 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.) I don't lie about it. I just tell them that I have to run. Some of the events that I turned down include: - dinners with friends - dates - vacations (they interfered with my marathon training) There are other examples. I'll add them if more come to mind later.
                  1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? use the john, drink some water, start my watch 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? heading to the fridge and opening a long neck 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.) told the boss I was traveling, which was technically true.
                  mikeymike

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? Drink a glass of gatorade, do 35 pushups and 50 crunches, check the outside temp, go to the bathroom, go running. 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Have a very quick breakfast with my favorite 3 y.o., shower, dress, out the door for work. 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.)Strangely, no. In the rare event I really have to get in a particular run that conflicts with some other obligation I'm generally comfortable enough with my selfishness to just come out and say so.

Runners run

1)Pee,walk around the block as warmup 2)shot of tequila 3)no lying just whiny if real life threatens a planned run
                        1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? put up my hair, the ever common potty break, start my watch, and away I go... 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? eat a Popsicle 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs I've called it "running errands" after work- running is involved right?
                        "The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

Go Pre!

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? Aside from the common dressing and urination themes, I walk around the house for about 10 minutes wondering if I am going to need anything else for the run. When I finally succumb to the notion of getting started I go out and run 5 minutes - slow - to assess whether my shoes are tied properly, believe me I tie them too loose or too tight quite often. I do not stretch. I have been trained as an athlete not to stretch before hand. When warming up, your trained muscles will 'know' what they're required to do and if you work into it you will perform better. Stretching 'turns off' the muscles and impairs performance. I could go into it further but it is like religion and politics. Google it and learn. If you are stretching properly AFTER running then you will be ok. 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? Walk - to 'warm down' - and then, yes, stretching Smile Long and Slow. 3) The ever popular bonus question: I lied today. I am leaving work 'early' to get home to take the kids out for Halloween. I am running home, 10k, won't take me much longer than the car in traffic or the subway, and I will still be home in time to enjoy the stew we made last night and then take the kids out Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

1) Before hitting the road, what do you do? 2) What is your favorite post-run ritual? 3) The ever popular bonus question: if you've ever lied to a boss, spouse, colleague or friend .... to get out of some obligation, so that you could go for a planned training run instead ... well, what was your best excuse? (Editor's note: Extra points awarded for creativity, gratuitous discussion of bodily functions, and really bold fibs.)
                            1. Don appropriate running gear 2. Guzzle chocolate milk (pretend I'm in the winner's circle at Indy) 3. Let's see, so many to choose from. First, (not really a lie) I didn't try very hard to find a return flight on a Friday evening from So California, so I "had" to stay over and return on Saturday afternoon. Since I was "stuck" there AND I just happend to bring the right gear, I drove to Wrightwood, CA, hopped on the Acorn Trail to gain access to the Pacific Crest Trail and ran from 4 pm until about 9 pm before turning around to head back to my cabin (short-cut return to arrive at said cabin by 1:30ish am. Found out later about a bear attack near my turn-around point within days of my solo jaunt in the darque!:O Another "creative" application was coordinating business meetings in NYC on Friday before and Monday after the NYC Marathon in 2002 so my company could pick up my travel and lodging for the weekend...no, I didn't charge in my race entry fee! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

You people sure pee a lot. Geez. That's why God made bushes, trees, and golf courses.
                              ... hopped on the Acorn Trail to gain access to the Pacific Crest Trail and ran from 4 pm until about 9 pm before turning around to head back to my cabin (short-cut return to arrive at said cabin by 1:30ish am. ...
                              Shocked Two words for you, Lynn: ther-apy. Seek help.

Scout7

You people sure pee a lot. Geez. That's why God made bushes, trees, and golf courses.
                                Hey, that's fine, if you're not in the suburbs of Philly. Some people in the nicer areas take great offense when I use their prize-winning (and cared for by migrant workers) bushes as my personal pit stop.