countdown timers? (Read 1046 times)

heavy like a loaded gun

Is it possible to add a countdown timer into the "home page" of a group?
    eric :)

It's not possible at the moment. I added code to prevent users from adding javascripts to the home pages because it can lead to security problems. If you tell me what you want to do in detail, I can come up with something that might work. eric Smile

heavy like a loaded gun

What we would like is to have a countdown timer in day/hour/minute/second format that counts down until October 20th at noon. If it could go into our home page of our group that would be perfect. Great site by the way. We had been using another but yours is far more user friendly and packed with great features. Keep up the good work! Nole

Nole, The only way to do that is to enable Java script. I'm somewhat reluctant to do that. The chance of someone doing something malicious is very small, but it only take one bad user to ruin everything for everyone. On the other hand, allowing javascripts will let users to a lot more to spruce up the group pages. What do you guys (the computer literate folks) think?

who knows...

Can you do it with Flash instead?
            "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

heavy like a loaded gun

As I am not computer literate I will not comment other than to say this site is extremely valuable. This is not a deal breaker if it can't be safely done. Thanks for your time on this.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm not one of the computer-literate folks when it comes to programming, but I wanted to pipe up and say that I appreciate the fact that you do your best to keep malicious software from getting into my computer. Thank you, Eric! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

btb1490

Nole, The only way to do that is to enable Java script. I'm somewhat reluctant to do that. The chance of someone doing something malicious is very small, but it only take one bad user to ruin everything for everyone. On the other hand, allowing javascripts will let users to a lot more to spruce up the group pages. What do you guys (the computer literate folks) think?
                  I have some HTML code for a countdown timer. edit... never mind. It's javascript. DOH!
                  Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Eric, there's no harm in you making javascript available for people to use. The danger is in allowing people to upload their own, potentially malicious javascript. So you could keep a directory of .js files that you approve of, and allow homepages to import them. Obviously, this would require your javascript filter to be more complicated, and the risk of creating a security bug inadvertently would increase. Like all security decisions, it comes down to a tradeoff between adding features and playing it extra safe.
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

It's not hard to create a collection of javascripts for everyone to use. The hard part is creating a form to let you specify variables. In the example nole presented, the timer will need an end time. This is a simple control, but creating a page generic enough to edit controls is the hardest part. I like this suggest a lot but don't know how to implement it in a simple way. Hrm... I have an idea... The countdown timer can be expressed as: < rawidget="" id="CountDown" endtime="2007-10-20 12:00PM" format="..." /> I like it!
                      Jeffrey

Hi Eric, I'd love to have a countdown function for my "training log" page. And a way that I could specify "Upcoming Races". The UR information could live in a table alongside the other "distances" and "stats" info. Maybe you could reduce the size of the "messages" area since you don't send out site-wide messages all that often! Smile

My legs really hurt

i am a newb when it comes to html. I am playing the string of code you gave for count down clock but have no idea how to make it work on our homepage.

i am a newb when it comes to html. I am playing the string of code you gave for count down clock but have no idea how to make it work on our homepage.
                            nole: I haven't added this feature yet. The example I gave was me talking to myself. Sorry about the confusion.
                              Hi Eric, perhaps it´s possible to add a category to the groups like "Upcoming Races", where group members can insert time, route and distance for the upcoming race (and who participates). If you know the exact time, you could add a countdown-feature by the server, so no user has to code his own JavaScript and there would be no security leak. I added such a thing on the homepage of our running group (http://www.99woerter.de/degrenner) After all, thanks for all the great work with this site!!!