New running group leader (Read 300 times)

Dani_pancakes

I work for a small women's running boutique and lead a 5k fun run every week. All abilities are welcome. We're just starting out so we typically only get a handful of runners each week (between 2 and 5). The problem I'm facing is that the runners tend to be at drastically different paces. I have one or two run/walkers who are just starting out and it's really important to me they feel welcome and don't get discouraged that right now they have to take breaks but I also don't want my one or two faster runners to feel bored or like they are always running by themselves either. Currently I try to split my time between the slower and faster people going back and forth but it's inevitable someone ends up running by themself for at least part of the run. Since the group is so small right now I'm the only leader and we don't really have dedicated pace groups. Any advice on how to make sure this "fun run" stays fun for everyone?

an amazing likeness

I don't have a lot of experiences, but what I'll share is the group runs I have known about generally open with some kind of a 'meet 'n greet', then runners group by planned pace (within some range) and head out for the run -- they don't try to run as a pack.  Then at the end there is a closing group gathering to chat about the run, and plan next week's.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

You need a gimmick to get more runners there.  That way you can recruit someone to 'lead' the slower group and someone to hang with the fasties.  Maybe advertise a 'Free Beer' night? 

Runners run

I'm assuming that everyone in the group runs the same route.  Do you have to run with them, or can you jump on a bike an go back and forth between the groups?  That would probably be less time that a runner is by herself.  Have you asked whether is bothers them that they might have a little time to run alone?  Sometimes being alone can be a good thing for a runner.

Because the group is small, take some time to get to know them and why they come to the run, what their goals are, and how you can help them.  Once you do that, you'll start to understand how to keep it fun.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Dani_pancakes

Thanks all for the advice. These are good ideas. I especially think talking to the group about their goals/expectations will help.

I've thought about the beer run idea. The only thing is we are located on a college campus so frequently our runners are under 21. Also our landlord is the university so I feel like they might not be ok with it if they found out.

I'm nearly always the slowest person at the group run I go to.  Basically, everyone runs for about an hour, however many miles that is for them.  I almost always run alone.  This is fine with me.  Meeting everyone gets me out for my run Sunday morning, and we all meet back at a coffee shop after the run to chat.

If you really want to have the group together, another option is to run a shorter loop multiple times, like at a track, or a similar sized loop at a park.

HCH

A few things to try:

- Have the fasties loop back every mile or so often to pick up the slower runners to keep the group more or less together.

- Run out and back routes for time, not distance. For example, have the runners turn around after 15 minutes. The fasties will end up covering a bit more ground, but everyone will finish together and the group will feel more cohesive. It will also encourage the slower runners to finish strong.

- Run the first half with the fasties, then drop back and finish with the slower group. The slower runners are usually the newer runners, i.e., the ones who need you the most, especially in the late miles. Plus, that way you can be a sweeper for the whole group (faster runners can get into trouble out there, too.)

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

runmichigan

I recommend an out and back route.  Everyone starts together and runs out for a certain amount of time (say 20 minutes).  When the time is reached they turn around and run back.  This way the faster runners end up running further out, but generally everyone will finish about the same time.  This is helpful too because it allows each runner to go at the pace they want on that particular day.  Also an out and back course tends to reduce the likelihood of anyone getting lost.

NHLA

The larger the group the better chance you have of some runners going the same pace.

The biggest challenge we had were group trail runs because we didn't want anybody lost. We would rotate three runners who would get to the turns first and also one to stay with the slower runners.

Finding the best time for the runners to run or changing times is a good way to increase runners.

Half Crazy K 2.0

To get more people out, can your shop offer giveaways or discounts? A running store near me that does group runs has done giveaways on some runs such as free socks for the first X people.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The surest way to fail is to try to please everyone all of the time.

But... some things to consider:

• Run by time instead of distance so that everyone finishes together
                        • Run loops so that you're together more
                        • Don't try to pace everyone and let things organically work themselves out.

I enjoy a periodic group run but what I don't like about too many of them

• Micromanagement from the "leader" (wants to dictate how every single detail will transpire including the pace I'm supposed to run at). 
                        • An hour run turns into 2 hours with time spent waiting at beginning for people to show up and time spent waiting for people to finish and socializing

You people have issues 

hog4life

I participate in quite a few group runs, albeit, our groups are larger, so there are more people to group together based on paces. The opinions/advice here is good and should help once you implement some of the suggested changes. Are all the runners from the boutique? Could you advertise more about the group forming? Maybe start a FB group?

If you have pairs/groups of faster/slower runners, it sounds like it's working, as long as you talk with them about it, and they know that you can't run with both groups.

Another suggestion, as your group grows, try to print the route, with or without turn by turn directions. If you form the FB group, you could even post the map.

Dream Maker

I've led a lot of small group classes.  I usually made a point to stay with the least experienced.  Very often that was the slowest.  Sometimes I'd run with the slowest for a shorter run then go catch up with those who were going further for the last bit.

Ask the people in the class.  They might have different degrees of concerns of having "company"  Make sure you have time to talk as a group before and after, and that is more what people are concerned about in general.