Anyone in the Military? (Read 678 times)

I'm in the Air Force and have, until recently, been a horrible slacker when it comes to PT.  I've gotten out and started running partly because I couldn't keep pace with the Wing Fun Run (approx 5k) and am now required to attend the bi-weekly Commanders Run.  That was my first distance run (5.2 miles - I'll add it to my courses soon).  Now I'm out 5x a week actively trying to get better.  The only actual regulation regarding running is for the annual PT Test and it is a point system.  50 pts for a timed 1.5mi run, 30 pts for abdominal circumference, and 10 pts each for push ups and sit ups.  75/100 is passing.  Exactly how many points for which category constantly changes.

...sorry i realize i am rambling...

Anyone been in my shoes?  Advice?  Should I just keep going for distance, then push to increase speed?  Right now i can barely finish a 5k, at my pace.  My 1.5mi is ok, still working on speed. 
      Many people on this forum will probably say similar things to people at all distances, whether it's 5k or marathon.. but pretty much the more mileage you're running the better your times will be. I can imagine it doing a whole lot of good for your situation.

Nashville Dog Runner

Hey there!

Okay, first of all.  Everything is going to be okay.  When I was in basic training, some #$ years ago, I ran the first two mile test as though I were running a marathon.  For me, that was a very slow time.  After I got yelled at by the TI, I just set my mind to being the fastest I could be.  I ended up being the fastest woman in the squadron.  Run more does seem to be a good answer.  Don't increase your mileage too quickly though, because you aren't used to it, and you'll likely get hurt.  Let's say that you currently run 12 miles per week, about two miles per day, with one day off.  And for our sake, we'll just say that you are running 10 minute miles.  You can increase that by, let's say 10 minutes next week.  So, maybe add 1/2 a mile to two of your six days.  Then, I'd say start doing some hill work.  Basically, find a gradual hill that may take you 2 or 3 minutes or so to run up.  Run up, then jog down.  See how many of these repeats you can do.  I think you ought to run down to keep the momentum.  If that's not fun, walk. Try to add more repeats every week.   Just do this hill work once a week.  Hopefully, this will help.  I'm not a fast runner at all and I don't have the kind of experience that many on this website have.  Pick and choose what you like.   I loved being in the Air Force.   Luckily, I was in the band.  Even so, we still did basic and had PT tests like everyone else.  I hope that you are staying safe.  Best of luck to you.  Thank you so much for your service.

www.nashvilledogrunner.com

Yes, thank you for your service. Getting out and running 5 times a week is plenty for what you are trying to do. And, you really don't have to push things very hard. Just take your daily training runs fairly easy, be patient, and it will come. Consistency is the key. From one airman (retired) to another, stick with it, don't overdo it, and you'll be alright.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Thanks everybody for your support.  And to whoever is running this place, I really think this site had a lot to do with my continuing to train on my own time.  As opposed to just going when I'm told to.

I have already seen some improvement.  I ran 2.5mi this morning without feeling beaten up at the end.  I think i'm starting to like this...Kinda strange.

Thanks again!!  I'll be around.

Agrimberg

goal:15:15 3mi 4:28 mi

Well, Getting a good base would help. Increase mileage around 3 per week for 3 weeks and the 4th be recovery (-10) from where you left off that last week. I would try to put in a longer distance day and or a tempo day( short but fast around 85% what you can do).

You have already gotten some good advice, but Ill put in my $.02 for what it's worth    ----   I started running because I was in Army ROTC in college and had passed all my academics and military science and everything else that I needed to get my commission -- but I was too slow on the run......so I can definately understand where you are coming from. 

You're young and so you can spring back from a workout a little faster then some of us - this is good --- but you can still get hurt so you still need to be careful.........and I think that harrah gave you some good advice.  You still need to be cautions about increasing your mileage and you dont want to be doing any speed work on the track just yet (you dont have enough base and speed work will probably lead to a running injury - not worth it just now)...

Following harran's advice, gradually build your mileage to an acceptable limit -- maybe 15 or 20 miles per week (what ever seem right to you), but do it very slowly.     Vary your distance up some.....like go 3, 1, 2, 1, 4, 2 or some other pattern like that, that makes sense to you (all EASY Pace)......You need to run hard day then easy day, but right now for your hard day is longer mileage and easy day is shorter mileage (NOT faster and slower)....

Make sure you can pass the talk test -- or that you can talk out loud while you're running......cause if you cant talk, then your running too fast........

Get some consistency in the weeks....or make sure your get about the same number of miles in every week and slowly build it......Dont run 18 one week and 3 the next....your better off running 10 and 10 and 11 and 10 and 12....or  a similar pattern.....

CHILL OUT -- and make sure when you run, you are enjoying it........You'll get there - NO PROBLEM --- I did.......

Champions are made when no one is watching