Cadence - what does it all mean? (Read 3400 times)

Scout7

Methinks I may be getting too technical and over analysing when all I really want to do is run and maybe improve my times while i'm at it.
    Definitely.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thx for the feedback. Interestingly I counted my rate doing some intervals and the rate was 90 and it didn't feel so awkward. Maybe initially I was trying to run at an easy pace whilst trying to keep the cadence up. Mutually exclusive I think.
      I think you're right on. For me at least, a cadence of 90 rpm (180spm) is very natural when running intervals or other fast running. And very unnatural when running easy. And therein lies my whole beef with the 180 thing -- the data were gathered based on very fast people running very fast, and may not be applicable to the rest of us running slow. MTA: Damn, Scout beat me again. I need a faster cadence when I type. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Whenever I run, I have a cadence-meter going through my head. Sing with me JK. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape...
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(like an earworm, eh?)
          DeadMopoz

For me on long runs it is around 140-150 at 7:40 pace and 188-194 at 5:50 pace intervals
            JakeKnight

Whenever I run, I have a cadence-meter going through my head. Sing with me JK. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape...
              Cue the pipe bomb.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Scout7

Trent, why do you hate America?
                kcam

I think you're right on. For me at least, a cadence of 90 rpm (180spm) is very natural when running intervals or other fast running. And very unnatural when running easy. And therein lies my whole beef with the 180 thing -- the data were gathered based on very fast people running very fast, and may not be applicable to the rest of us running slow. MTA: Damn, Scout beat me again. I need a faster cadence when I type. Clowning around
                  For me, a cadence of ~180 is MOST BENEFICIAL when I'm running in slow/recovery mode. It just feels like there's less stress on my legs when I take shorter, quicker strides.
                  Scout7

For me, a cadence of ~180 is MOST BENEFICIAL when I'm running in slow/recovery mode. It just feels like there's less stress on my legs when I take shorter, quicker strides.
                    And this goes to show why it's completely irrelevant and useless to judge your cadence based on someone else's. There is no magic number.
                    dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

I think the key words in his phrase are "for me."
                      Steve Boyett
                      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                      kcam

Hmmm, I wonder why I started off with "For me"?? On these boards, just about everything is opinion and not unvarnished fact. I just wanted to balance all the opinion of people saying cadence doesn't apply to slow running. FOR ME, and possible for the OP, it does.
                          ... For me at least, a cadence of 90 rpm (180spm) is very natural when running intervals or other fast running. And very unnatural when running easy.
                          I hear you on that. Right now I'm always running real easy, and when I've tried upping the cadence to 180 at the same pace, my heart rate goes up at least 5 bpm. The one thing that I've noticed is that at 180 or so, my center of gravity (CG) doesn't move up and down much... no bouncing, just running even. IMHO that's the big benefit of 180 cadence... you just have to learn to run relaxed with a footstrike under the CG at that rate.