Stark differences between road running and treadmill running. (Read 296 times)

Docket_Rocket

I have both allergy induced and exercise induced asthma and always run outside.  I am 1mm slower on the TM as compared to outside.  I actually used the TM at the start of my asthma diagnosis to be able to finish my marathon training, but after that, I pushed through outside and I felt better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Damn, I've been doing it all wrong. I go west way too much.

I was a treadmill hater for a long while and ran all of my runs after work, at night, alone , on a paved unlit bike path, all winter long, and loved it. I dressed right, brought proper stuff, and thrived.

This winter, pretty much Monday through Thursday, I have been embracing the treadmill at the gym. My favorite one is in a seldom used upstairs area right next to a big AC fan. I have run workouts on the TM that I can't duplicate outside in the dark.

But once the weekend comes, I put on the proper stuff and head back outdoors and love it again.

So yeah, everything in moderation right?

My favorite one at the gym is the one next to the hot chick!!!  Especially if she is actually running hard and not walking while reading a magazine!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

+1

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. We are not going down this road again.

BHearn - interesting that you say this.   When I read the article I too thought it sounded a little fishy.  That being said, I do know they said it the difference was very very minor in terms difference, which is why in my post I said the added mileage on the treadmill would certainly make up for any difference in treadmill vs. road effort.   Now you have me wondering which site I was on when I read this.   I always try and consider the source of my information, and I can say, that I thought at the time that it was a pretty credible source.   Not to mention, I am no physicist, so I certainly wasn't one to be able to tell them they were wrong.   You've given me something to do no though, as I am going to try and go back and find the article again just to see who the source was for the article. Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But if an airport had a huge treadmill for its runway...