Ab workouts... (Read 3046 times)

Another Passion

Abs are made in the KITCHEN!!!
    I've had cow tongue, pickled pigs feet, hocks, cracklins, but never abs. Probably about the only thing my mom didn't try to put over on me for dinner when I was a kid.

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I've had cow tongue, pickled pigs feet, hocks, cracklins, but never abs. Probably about the only thing my mom didn't try to put over on me for dinner when I was a kid.
      What? You've never had bacon?

No matter how much Ab work you do they won't be visibile if you are carrying to many extra pounds around your stomach area. You will also need to cut down on the fats in your diet. My gym instructor says you can do 1000 situps a day & you still wont see your '6 pack' if u r carrying too much fat...Food for thought Smile
        I am actually a very healthy eater and my stomach is pretty much flat, with an exception for my lower abs where there is a little fat. What should I do about my diet/lower abs?
          Abs are made in the KITCHEN!!!
          DITTO THIS (wonders if Eddie stole that phrase from me lol)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

If you want the lower abs you need to get the legs moving leg lifts and v-ups will work I use to thing that planks looked silly till I tried them they work! I've found that planks work best at the end of you ab workout so that you abs are already tired and that way you don't need to hold it as long
            zzz

A PT I talked to at my gym said to do this.... you will need a partner for this or something secure to wrap your hands around... lay on your back and grip ankles of person standing right above/slightly behind your head.... then lift your legs up 90 degrees and have the person whose ankles you are gripping shove your feet back down.... don't let them touch the floor and then lift them back up again to be shoved back down etc etc... 3 sets of 15. did that make sense?
              Scout7

A PT I talked to at my gym said to do this.... you will need a partner for this or something secure to wrap your hands around... lay on your back and grip ankles of person standing right above/slightly behind your head.... then lift your legs up 90 degrees and have the person whose ankles you are gripping shove your feet back down.... don't let them touch the floor and then lift them back up again to be shoved back down etc etc... 3 sets of 15. did that make sense?
                I did those in XC in HS. Even more enjoyable if the partner is cute and the opposite sex.

Just Be

Side note - they are horrible for your low back. That and any kind of leg raise, really. But that doesn't stop me from doing them! Tongue
                  dprimrocka777

type in 8 minute abs on youtube. they work better than anything ive ever done. but im not gonna lye. there hard as hell
                      As I understand it (and trust me I don't have the abs to prove this), if it is the fat in the lower ab area that is your issue, you will only get to reveal these by lowering your overall body fat to the point that your particular body lets go of that unwanted fat in that area. I think that is what people are getting at with the abs are made in the kitchen because lower body fat % is largely a result of diet that is high in lean protein and relatively lower in carbs. If you are running high mileage adjust accordingly. Another thing that helps in increasing overall muscle but since those muscles in the lower ab area aren't huge doing exercises to target them probably isn't the best way to get the results you want. Exercises that are complex and involve lots of different muscle groups might be a good idea and some high intensity intervals. Try squats or kettlebell training.
                      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                      • Complete a 10K fun run

Just Be

Totally agree that abs are made in the kitchen. I have about 4% to 5% bodyfat but eat *a ton* of carbs. For me, it's about eating healthy, natural, unprocessed foods, running consistently, and weight training. I think that complex carbs will never hurt your appearance so long as the basic formula of calories in vs calories out matches what you are trying to accomplish with your physique and they don't make up an unnaturally large portion of your total food intake. For me, I don't need to lose any more weight so I try to match them as close as possible but it's hit or miss because I don't keep track of anything (no nutrition log). Just listen to what your body is telling you, don't eat until you're full, eat often, and drink plenty of water. For someone trying to chisel out their abs and get that ripped stomach, shoot for a 500 calorie deficit per day. Ab exercises are way overrated. 3 simple sets of crunches to failure on each set 2 times per week will get you nearly the same looking abs as someone who goes insane with all the various types of exercises that are out there, so long as both of you have low bodyfat %tages, leading back to the original argument that wee_little_me brings up in that great abs are made in the kitchen.

Just Be

Oh and I forgot to mention plenty of rest. Quality rest is a variable that should not be overlooked.
                          zzz

ok i see what y'all are saying about abs are made in the kitchen.... couldn't figure that one out. ok so you hear all the mumbo jumbo about carbs vs no carbs.... seems like everyone here agrees that carbs aren't bad as long as they are complex carbs not the processed crap food that is sugar based sort of? i know i should know this as everyone gets drilled all the time but I still wonder if eating any carb is bad.

Just Be

Carbs are an essential part of a healthy diet. Non-processed carbs, that is.
                                I think that complex carbs will never hurt your appearance so long as the basic formula of calories in vs calories out matches what you are trying to accomplish with your physique and they don't make up an unnaturally large portion of your total food intake.
                                Exactly right I think. Too many people out there trying to "spot reduce" are eating enough carbs to support marathon training and not doing anywhere near the cardio to match.
                                The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                                • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                                • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                                • Complete a 10K fun run