To run or not to run?? (Read 554 times)

So I've had this fantastic low back problem for several years as a result of a particular horse that I used to own. As a sidebar, I just found out that the current owner that bought him from me (also one of my closest friends) had THREE back surgeries this summer as a result of riding said horse. His pain was in the exact same spot as mine. Anywho, I have this pain frequently. Sometimes I just lean over the table to serve my children or cut veggies up at the kitchen counter & suddenly there is pain in my lower back that drops me to my knees. I can't bend, I can't straighten, I can't move, I just holler out in pain. Shocked Once I bend over, I'm more comfortable...so long as I stay in that position & don't try to stand up again!! Very slight bending, as in the examples above, seem to trigger it most, but something like swinging my legs off the couch or just walking across a room may too. So logic would tell the more intelligent individuals present that maybe I should just sit my happy runnin' butt on the bench for a while and recover, right? The kicker is, it doesn't matter if I run or don't run, it still hurts. And for that matter, it actually feels better while I'm running, at least for the duration of my run. Before & after the run, the pain is back. After my 25K race in May, I didn't have the pain for a week, which was a miracle. I thought long runs were my cure, but the back pain is worse now. For those that also know I'm a moron prone to abusing myself...YES, I have an appointment scheduled with the doctor. But they can't get me in until 10/5 (it's been scheduled for several weeks) & I want to know what to do now. I wanna run, I wanna run, I wanna run!!! Cry Do I go on my tunnel visioned premise that since it doesn't hurt while running it is ok to run? Or do I assume that running could cause more serious injury/damage & not run? I have a HM 10/29, so I really need to train. But I don't want to injure myself worse before the race either. I have spent the last few days hugging the bottles of muscle relaxers. Skelaxin isn't strong enough, flexeril makes me drool & stagger but doesn't get rid of the pain. Aleve, Motrin & Tylenol do nothing. Advice, Oh Wise One's??? Big grin Thanks, Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
      I feel your pain ... literally. My back has been killing me. Tried a couple of chiropractors and a regular doctor. (Love the doctor! Introduced me to those nice muscle relaxers. Tongue) My back hurts most of the time but doesn't hurt while I run and if I can get in a couple of miles, it doesn't hurt afterwards either. Pain comes back though if I turn, bend or twist. Cry Clueless me. I'm on pain killers and muscle relaxers last week. Feeling pain-free for the first time in a long time. I logged a bunch of miles (and logged a PB in a 5K over the weekend.) Well, I forgot to take my pills Monday. Can you say OUCH! I have so messed up my right knee and ankle and my back was awful. Just great as my 10 mile race is Saturday and I can hardly walk. My H/M is in 3 weeks and who knows what it'll be like by then. Tried to run yesterday and only got in a mile before I had to quit. Anyway, I'm seeing a DO / Sports Medicine guy on Friday so hopefully he'll give me some good news (or good drugs! Big grin ) No advice for you other than be careful running on pain killers! Teresa
        I try to only take Skelaxin when I run, since it doesn't put me into a coma!! Tongue I worked for chiro's for a long time & used to get adjusted all the time (hey, it was free, why not?), but now I have too much movement in my spine, so it slips in & out at will. Next week I'm going to the DO that specializes in OMM. She is fantastic & will hopefully have some ideas. Her biggest complaints for bad patients are horse people and runners...I am both!! Big grin She complains that we runners (and horse people) never know when to quit & are so dedicated to our sport that we have a tendency to tell her when we have time to fit an injury in to our race schedules. Sound familiar anyone?? Wink
          I have a really bad back as well as a really bad neck. One thing that helped me was strengthning my core and spine. I also do my daily stretches that the PT gave me. I've learned through out the years after my accident that my body will let me know when I need to go easy or stop as was the case for 3 weeks in July. Since your having alot of problems now I would cut running until after you see the doctor!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Pam, you are probably right. Not running would be a good idea. I just wish I didn't feel so much better while I'm running!! Confused And core strengthning is on the winter agenda. I wouldn't take the time this summer cause it meant taking running time away.
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Eryn, If you do not know the cause of your back pains, you should not do anything that might make it worse. A few days off would not affect your overall cardio condition. Your HM is still a month away so you still have time once your doctor gives you the ok.
              JakeKnight

Pam, you are probably right. Not running would be a good idea. I just wish I didn't feel so much better while I'm running!! Confused And core strengthning is on the winter agenda. I wouldn't take the time this summer cause it meant taking running time away.
                Typical runner's mentality! All or nothing, right? How about a compromise? Why not cut back to every other day so you get plenty of rest, drop any speed or hill work, and take lots of walk breaks on your long runs .... and see how you feel? That'd be my choice. And some gentle stretches after you run. Or .... you could ask a doctor instead of us bozos. Clowning around

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------