Am I doing this right? (Read 277 times)

Witchkizzle

Hello!

I posted a while back asking for some new "runner" advice. Runner in quotes because I'm still trying to just build up my miles per week and they are all VERY slow to most of you.

Anyway, I started back in November on a C25k thing. I enjoyed it, but according to the forums and some very helpful advice, I think I was going WAY too fast for my fitness level, or lack thereof. So lately I have been off the program, because it ended after 9 weeks, and just trying to run 3 or 4 times a week at a very easy pace. I can carry on a conversation with my wife, sing a song - I don't, but i could Smile -  or just look around and enjoy being outside during my "run".

So, yesterday I hit my first big milestone of my new hobby and longest run of my life! I ran for 50 minutes non-stop!! It ended up being right at 4 miles almost exactly so doing the math, that is about 12:30/mile. If you look at my log, my runs are kind of sporadic due to scheduling with my work and my wife's work. We try to run together when we can and she works nights as a nurse and I'm a CPA in the busiest time of my work year. I still try to make time to do it though and my run last night was after 12.5 hours of work and 2 hours of commuting.

Enough about me, on to my questions:

1a) During my 4th mile last night, I felt like I could pick up my pace but it would put me out of breath a little. I would have been able to talk but with "breath breaks". I took this as meaning I could have run longer, not faster. Am I interpreting that right?

1b) I used to do my "run" portions of the C25k (my running log is a lttle skewed because I was adding in the total time including walking breaks and 5 minute walking warm ups and cool downs) at like 10:30 a mile. There is no way I could have run those 4 miles at that pace so i'm taking that as meaning I am pacing myself well enough now to where I can run slower but add more miles. Do you agree or should I pick up my pace a little?

2) I feel great today. My muscles are just a little bit sore, but I've got great energy and no joint aches or pains. Do I need to temper my excitement a little bit and only run one of these 50-60 minute runs a week for the time being, or could I start making my easy everyday runs 3 miles or more. I don't want to do "too much too fast" like I did in December and have to take 2 weeks off because my knees hurt so bad.

3) I'm wanting to run my first ever 5k on June 29 in Houston. I got one of those SmartCoach plans for some guidance but I feel like it's advice is not enough miles right now. I mean it would be asking me to run like 2 miles 3 days a week right now. Should I follow that guide or keep doing what I *think* my body is comfortable with?

I'm sure some of this is "listen to your own body", but I am unsure of what it is telling me. I feel like I could go do that exact same run again tonight, but don't want to push myself to where I hurt myself.

Sorry this is so long. Also, sorry the mileage I'm asking about is so small but you guys and girls on here are the only place I know to get good advice from nice experienced runners.

Running is simple.  Run as often as you can, varying the time and effort of the run, i.e. go slower on the longer runs, pick up pace a bit on shorter runs.  Every once in a while on some of the easier runs, pick up the pace to the next landmark (next block/telephone pole), the fancy word for these pickups is "strides".  The more you run, the fitter you'll get.

1a)  I can't talk in complete sentences most of my runs, and have to take breath breaks.

1b) Sure why not pick up the pace a bit, experience that discomfort for a while, it wont kill us

2) So if you feel like you could have gone a bit longer, then you could a) go further, b)that's just how you want to finish most of the runs anyway so stop. No hard rule.

3) you can run and finish a 5k tomorrow.

savage16

If it burns, you're doing it right.

But seriously, yes, the more you push yourself the better you'll become.  I'm a HS sophomore, and me and the rest of the guys always try to throw in one long run every week (for us thats anything ten miles and up) it will help A LOT with endurance, but the most important thing to do every week is quarter mile/half mile interval workouts, they're crazy painful, but they really help increase your speed and stamina.

It sounds to me like you will do awesome at a 5k.  Keep loggin' those mile brotha!

GO PRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

npaden

Just keep doing what you are doing.

My log looked pretty similar to your back in 2011 when I was getting started.  Take it easy, keep adding some miles, and before you know it you'll just keep getting faster and faster even though you are still running easy.

Pushing it now will increase your chance of injury and burn out IME.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden

Just went back and looked at my log.  I had a run on 5/14/11 that was 3.9 miles at an 11:50 pace that I entered in my log as a Long run.

A couple weekends ago I ran 10.1 miles at a 10:03 pace on Saturday and 10.1 miles at a 10:07 pace on Sunday.  I logged those runs as "easy".  My threshold for logging something as a long run is 12 miles now.

I guarantee that the 3.9 miles at an 11:50 avg pace back in 2011 was at a much higher level of effort than my 10:00ish pace 10 mile runs a couple weeks ago.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

No need to overcomplicate it. The absolute most important thing you should focus on is consistency. The more you can keep getting out there on a regular basis, the more the improvement will (almost) take care of itself. Keep doing what you're doing, gradually do a little more, once a week or so run a little faster, and you'll be amazed when you look back a year from now at how far you've come if you're consistent. Then you can start overcomplicating it.

In the meantime, don't worry too much about the 5k. Sign up, do it, it'll be fun. You already know you can run more than that, so just keep it rolling and you'll be fine.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I agree with others, don't overthink it.

To me, it seems your "natural speed" is quite good, but you are just not yet in the shape to keep it up. You can improve your fitness by doing just what you were considering: run some intervals faster than usual, don't always stick to the same, comfortable pace, but challenge yourself every now and then. Run faster for at least 1 minute, maybe longer, whatever feels comfortable, then slow down, repeat a few times.

Don't do it way too often, though, as this is more load on your body, and (it seems to me you are sensitive to "overloading" and react with knee pain) you want to build up, but not injure yourself.

Don't worry too much about regularity of your runs, do whatever you can get in reasonably. A few days of rest in a row won't hurt you in the long term. After all, it should still be fun, not a liability or chore!

Run for fun.

1b) I used to do my "run" portions of the C25k (my running log is a lttle skewed because I was adding in the total time including walking breaks and 5 minute walking warm ups and cool downs) at like 10:30 a mile. There is no way I could have run those 4 miles at that pace so i'm taking that as meaning I am pacing myself well enough now to where I can run slower but add more miles. Do you agree or should I pick up my pace a little?

You are progressing in the right direction.  Above all else, run without taking a walking break.  I can't even imagine how you are going to squeeze running in during the next 6 weeks, but try for 4 days/week if at all possible, and let one of those runs be longer and a little slower-paced than the rest.  You will find that gains come with consistency and slowly increasing mileage.  It is better to add mileage by adding an another day per week of easy running than to increase the miles per workout.  If you can make a routine of 5 days/week starting in May and hold on to that for a few months, you will get a lot faster.

Witchkizzle

Thanks everyone!!  This all helps a lot!

Yeah, the next six weeks are going to be kind of rough with work and stuff, but I have enjoyed my runs and like that it gives me something else to focus on besides, and outside of, work. I'll do my best to keep a good consistent pattern of running per week (without pushing TOO hard) and then once April 15th hits I will be able to really focus more on getting faster.

I've had "bad knees" for a while, but have found that my legs are getting stronger and the little aches and pains in my knees and ankles are going away/ lessening in severity. That 4 miles a few days ago had much more quality than the 3 miles I ran non stop back in early December when I had only beeing running for a week. I knew I should have built up more before trying it, but wanted to see what I could do. That is the run that made my knee hurt so bad. It went away after two weeks and then I got some running shoes fitted and have been making progress since then.

Last night my wife had a positive pregnancy test, too!!!  So that is going to add a new wrinkle into all of this, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to being a dad, though!

I really do appreciate all the advice!! Y'all are so helpful, and it means a lot!

adavis58

The training programs can be modified to fit you.

If you can run a little farther, go ahead and run farther.

If you are having a bad day and cannot make it as far as you should, fine.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Woohoo, congratulations on the pregnancy. Hope things will work out well.

Now that will give you lots of opportunities for runs and getting stronger by pushing the stroller... and your wilfe will thank you for a few hours of peace and quiet! Big grin

Run for fun.

Witchkizzle

Woohoo, congratulations on the pregnancy. Hope things will work out well.

Now that will give you lots of opportunities for runs and getting stronger by pushing the stroller... and your wilfe will thank you for a few hours of peace and quiet! Big grin

haha! Looks like I need to add jogging stroller to the "list of everything to buy"!

gilbertholdings

congrats on your progress!  i wouldn't worry about pushing yourself unless you really think you're overdoing it.  a little pushing is always good.  unless you're semi-mental, most people won't push themselves to injury, it's just too painful.  i'm just starting out too, so don't feel bad about low mileage, not everyone had been running for years.

congratulations on your progress. good thing you have also another blessing, a baby will likely come in your life. hope you will have the best

we should prioritize our health and body. my site