Tips to fill in 2 week training for a 10 K ??? (Read 657 times)

Black-Toe-Nailed

I run a marathon on April, 9th and after that I have a 10k on April, 22nd.

I have already a good 18 week (actually 20 week) training plan but there are 13 days between the marathon and the 10k that I need to fill in.

The scheme I follow is basically a Pfizinger 55mi - 18 weeks with +2 easier weeks at the beginning to "warm up"

I would aim at 40:00 or at least at 42:00.

This is my hometown and the starting line is so close to home that I can actually warm up on my elliptical and after this race I am goign to take 2 full months of rest, so that I think that I can take some risks in terms of hard training or continuing with 40-55mi / week schedules.

I would appreciate any tip on what type of training I should emphasize.

Thanks a lot!!!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
    then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
    I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

My only advice is to be careful.  Last year after my full, I took a week off, came back slow for two weeks, and ran a 5K and 10K in back to back weekends.  Ended up with runner's knee (whatever that is...basically, a very painful knee) that still comes on every so often.  Everybody's body is different and the training you do leading up to a marathon will be key.  I followed Pfitzinger's 18/55 plan for my marathon yesterday, and did alot of core training and leg strengthening this year.  Better prepared this year and my body feels much better today than the day after last year.  Even went to the gym and did an x-bike class today.

I run a marathon on April, 9th and after that I have a 10k on April, 22nd.

I have already a good 18 week (actually 20 week) training plan but there are 13 days between the marathon and the 10k that I need to fill in.

The scheme I follow is basically a Pfizinger 55mi - 18 weeks with +2 easier weeks at the beginning to "warm up"

I would aim at 40:00 or at least at 42:00.

This is my hometown and the starting line is so close to home that I can actually warm up on my elliptical and after this race I am goign to take 2 full months of rest, so that I think that I can take some risks in terms of hard training or continuing with 40-55mi / week schedules.

I would appreciate any tip on what type of training I should emphasize.

Thanks a lot!!!

One of the "rule of thumb" when you try to put together a training program is NOT to have fast run right after the long run though the other way around is not as bad.  For example, you go do a race or even intervals, the day or two or three after that, it's not too terribly bad to go for a long jog as long as the pace is not too taxing.  You might have heard some coaches say something like "flushing lactic acid (I shouldn't say this but maybe "waste products")" by going for a nice easy longish jog after the race.  That won't hurt you much.  But if you do it the other way around; if you do long run, you'll be using up a lot of ligaments and tendons from all the repetitive running action; and to put fast run placed right after the long run might be one of the easiest ways to hurt your tendons and ligaments.  

If you had run a marathon before, or if you've done some very long run, you'll remember that, following day(s), your legs are creaking, aching joints and sore muscles...  Ignoring recovery from such effort can be devastating.  If you run a half and turn around in 2 or 3 weeks and run 5k; well, maybe you can handle that.  But to run a full and only 2 weeks later to run 40-minutes 10 is...well, if I were your coach, I would DEFINITELY discourage you from doing it.  I would STRONGLY recommend you take 3 to 4 weeks easy after full marathon, gradually working your way back up to maybe an hour's run in a month time.  Nothing stressful--maybe just some easy strides to stretch out but that would about be it.

If you're really gong-ho about it, then I would say take 10 days just jogging around easy--like half an hour with maybe one 45 minutes over the weekend; and then do 1-mile at medium effort 3 days before 10.  Nothing more than that.  Remember, the physical fitness level of having run a marathon should be enough to carry you through; you would NOT need any more stressful workout like intervals or tempo.  The number one priority should still be recovery.

Black-Toe-Nailed

Thanks for the advice people.

I guess that now that I'm starting the training I may feel overconfident, but I bet that in April I will just be wanting to finish the season and take two well deserved month of rest (well, kinda as I use them for cross-training).

I have though on an excellent way of accomplishing my two goals: Running the Utrecht Marathon and be in my home town's the 10K.

What I will do is running it as a recovery run (my scheme actually calls for a 7mi recovery run on this Sunday) BUT I am going to do it wearing the official Utrecht 2012 T-Shirt (!!!) This way I can keep my head high in front of my townspeople and neighbours and they will not mind if I end later.

As Nobby415 states I should still be fit enough  to do a decent time at recovery pace. I will have a way better chance later in the Utrecht Singelloop 2012, which is a for now the race with the 10K world record (26.44, L.P. Komon in 2010).

I will thus change the schedule adding a 5 weeks recovery with 2 low-mileage weeks (13-23).

Thanks again for the tips. !!!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
          then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
          I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

I just completed a similar strategy - but with much more rest.  I did the CIM in Decemeber and just completed a "fast" 10K last weekend.  I wouldn't have wanted any less recovery than I had.  I heard that you want 1 day of "recovery" for every mile after a hard run.  I think this is a good rule of thumb after experiencing it first hand. 

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K